Women in the Volkssturm

Pummelchen

Women in the Volkssturm

Post by Pummelchen »

12th February 1945

By a decree of Reichsleiter Martin Bormann, women and girls are called for duty in the Volkssturm. The formation of a battalion of women is in planning.

End of March that year it was announced that women were allowed to carry weapons including panzerfausts.

Kind regards.
missyd

Re: Women in the Volkssturm

Post by missyd »

Are there any more detailed information about this?
Just because it could be interesting in reenacting a german woman WITH a weapon in hand! :wink:
Ci vediamo
Daniela

Dove c'e' da Rievocare noi Rievochiamo - Dove c'e' da Ricostruire noi Ricostruiamo
Schuller

Post by Schuller »

I know this is an old thread, but I think this could help
At least there is a little graphic evidence

Gunther Schuller, Schutze, 136, 1./G.R.914, 352 ID
Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

There is something undeniably sad in see photos like these , Hitler was prepared to fight to the last woman and child and he saw nothing wrong in this - such an utter waste.
Hoover

Post by Hoover »

The pic is from a German Wochenschau. AFAIK no German women fought officially in German units, but talked to at least 2 womes who fought against the British near Bremen in April 1945.

They were Luftwaffenhelferinnen in a German Flak-unit. Some Hitlerjungen manned 3 8,8cm guns and the girls (17 years then) carried the ammunition. They were captured by British infantry when they tried to escape.

I think there were a lot of not official service. In the ranks of the 2./SS-PzGren. Ausb.- u. ErsAbt 12 "HJ" (which fought against the 11th ArmdDiv at the River Aller) the 17 years old SS-Helfern Erika Krug (born in Rodewald near Nienburg in Northern Germany) served as a Sanitätshelferin, but when there were rumors that she were the "girlfriend" of the Commander HstFfhr Peinemann she fought with a 98k in the 2./12

She ware captured later.

So it happened, but I think it was still a rarity.
Schuller

Post by Schuller »

Of course that's not the norm
But I wouldn't be surprised at all if I see flakhelferinen carrying sidearms
Just in case of partisan attack
Gunther Schuller, Schutze, 136, 1./G.R.914, 352 ID

Return to “Civilian and Volkssturm”