Hi there, I have a few questions.

Please can all members introduce yourself in here.

Moderator: Oberleutnant Ulrich

Dragon

Hi there, I have a few questions.

Post by Dragon »

Hi everyone, I've a complete newbie, and I'd like to ask a few questions, some I'm sure you've heard a million times, and I have looked around the forums, and there's some great information here, but I have a pre-set script I've been sending to organisations that I'll paste here, because I'd like to hear as many answers as possible from as many people as possible, so I may understand the norm, so to speak. :)
Hello,

I've been interested in Living History Re-enacting for some time, and I'd like to learn more about it.

For instance, are events scripted based on actual historical battles (the main reason I ask, is.. how do you know if you're "dead" in an event), what licensing is required for the blank firing weapons you use, if any, and / or does administration for Kompanie 1 securely retain / allow the hire of weapons for events. Also are there any specific vendors for Uniforms you would recommend.

Are there areas of the country you predominantly meet? I live on the Isle of Wight, so for example if your group regularly meets in Yorkshire for example, I wouldn't be able to give it the commitment it required.

Do you require your actors to be fluent in German? I have a reasonable level of German, and it wouldn't take much for me to learn more, as I'm always exchanging sentences and grammar with a German colleague of mine.

What training is required? I am of reasonable physical fitness, but as it is authentic living history, I'm guessing the learning of manouvres and battle tactics are required, when and where would these be taught?

And finally, I wear glasses, obviously mine aren't "period" but I wouldn't be able to function without them, are there places that I could have my prescription lenses put into some "of the period" frames?

At this stage, I'm really just exploring what it's all about, and once I feel informed enough I'd like to find a group that meets relatively close to the South of England, but of course for events, I'd be happy to go wherever.

I'd like to thank you very much in advance for your time, and I'm hoping that once I'm clued up enough about the subject, I could find a relevant and relatively local group with which to participate.
I thank anyone who responds kindly for their time.
Ropes

Re: Hi there, I have a few questions.

Post by Ropes »

Dragon wrote:Hi everyone, I've a complete newbie, and I'd like to ask a few questions, some I'm sure you've heard a million times, and I have looked around the forums, and there's some great information here, but I have a pre-set script I've been sending to organisations that I'll paste here, because I'd like to hear as many answers as possible from as many people as possible, so I may understand the norm, so to speak. :)
Hello,

I've been interested in Living History Re-enacting for some time, and I'd like to learn more about it.

For instance, are events scripted based on actual historical battles (the main reason I ask, is.. how do you know if you're "dead" in an event), what licensing is required for the blank firing weapons you use, if any, and / or does administration for Kompanie 1 securely retain / allow the hire of weapons for events. Also are there any specific vendors for Uniforms you would recommend.

Are there areas of the country you predominantly meet? I live on the Isle of Wight, so for example if your group regularly meets in Yorkshire for example, I wouldn't be able to give it the commitment it required.

Do you require your actors to be fluent in German? I have a reasonable level of German, and it wouldn't take much for me to learn more, as I'm always exchanging sentences and grammar with a German colleague of mine.

What training is required? I am of reasonable physical fitness, but as it is authentic living history, I'm guessing the learning of manouvres and battle tactics are required, when and where would these be taught?

And finally, I wear glasses, obviously mine aren't "period" but I wouldn't be able to function without them, are there places that I could have my prescription lenses put into some "of the period" frames?

At this stage, I'm really just exploring what it's all about, and once I feel informed enough I'd like to find a group that meets relatively close to the South of England, but of course for events, I'd be happy to go wherever.

I'd like to thank you very much in advance for your time, and I'm hoping that once I'm clued up enough about the subject, I could find a relevant and relatively local group with which to participate.
I thank anyone who responds kindly for their time.

1) Yes Battles are scipted and based on actuall events. You either die in a certain point in the battle or when you see somone has you bang to rights. No License required for blank fire weapons. FAC needed for real bolt action rilfes though. Some events have section 5 hire in which you can hire out real guns that are using blank ammo. Yes there are vendors check out Hoffman Grinks post in the uniform secton.

2) groups have members all over the country and there are events all over the country where they meet.

3) German is not essential in any group but its nice if you can speak it. Manouvres and battle tactics are usuallly required and will be taught at your groups training weekends.

4) Yes specsavers should do it for you.

5) SBG I think are based in the south of England in the Kent area.

Return to “Introductions”