some drilling

Moderator: Sheikh Al Stranghi

Franz repper

Re: some drilling

Post by Franz repper »

Peter Bauer wrote:Anyways, fancy parade drilling is different from regular drills, so.. well.
No its not ! Drill is Drill ! as a EX member of the Guards Div drill was a important part of our training .
ImageImageImageImageImage
FRAUNSWARM

Post by FRAUNSWARM »

I was also refering to the Youtube footage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Htuyojwb6lo&feature=fvw
Not the guys above my statement walking round Eden Camp!
Your quite right Franz it is a very important part of being a soldier and is taken as serious as Field tactics and any one who says it is not have no real military experience at all. Drill seperates the wanabes from the true seeker of authenticity.

Ich wurde nicht auf die Erde geschickt, um die Menschen zu ändern.
Verwände seine Schwächen.
Peter Bauer

Post by Peter Bauer »

Sure, but I still see parade drill (throwing your rifle etc.) to be separate from that of the rest of the armed forces :P

I do agree that drilling is something all reenactors SHOULD do even though they wouldn't like it. I personally try to force my mates to learn these things, but so far it's been a lost cause :P but then again, every one in my unit already spent 12 months of their life learning them... (just in finnish way)
FRAUNSWARM

Post by FRAUNSWARM »

I here what you are saying Peter, the drill display teams (and I'm sure the Finns have one) are there to show how disciplined the team are and how they can work together with absolute obedience, one false move from one can be catostrphic. very much like when under fire for real. You become focused on your job in hand and your Kameraden trust you. I'm 100% sure as well that you shouldnt attempt to teach drill if you know nothing on how its taught. You can do more damage than good, just because you can turn to the left or right and March doesnt mean you know how to teach it correctly. It takes alot of practice from the instructor to teach it correctly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMTkOhbqhfg[/youtube]

Heinz O. Kaufmann

Post by Heinz O. Kaufmann »

Peter, we need all the guys in one nationality in our meetings, we are teaching too many things on separate groups with only few guys in a group. Hopely these will change this summer.
Hans Gowert

Post by Hans Gowert »

FRAUNSWARM wrote: It takes alot of practice from the instructor to teach it correctly.

:) i hear that !!

respect
Peter Bauer

Post by Peter Bauer »

FRAUNSWARM wrote:I here what you are saying Peter, the drill display teams (and I'm sure the Finns have one) are there to show how disciplined the team are and how they can work together with absolute obedience, one false move from one can be catostrphic. very much like when under fire for real. You become focused on your job in hand and your Kameraden trust you. I'm 100% sure as well that you shouldnt attempt to teach drill if you know nothing on how its taught. You can do more damage than good, just because you can turn to the left or right and March doesnt mean you know how to teach it correctly. It takes alot of practice from the instructor to teach it correctly.
Indeed, Finland has one :P

I personally was part of the honor guard company and I participated quite a number of honor guard parades etc. (20 in total...?), so drilling itself is quite familiar to me and I did enjoy it a lot.

Sadly not everyone does though... :D
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

Drill is Hard core !!!! I did 9½ years in a gaurds Regiment ( Cav ) even did sword drill yea the constant practice was crap or so it felt but marching to a band fook there is nothing like it
Have a look at the training for the Kit ride http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgClxZ-c ... re=related
ImageImageImageImageImage
Peter Bauer

Post by Peter Bauer »

Well doing things properly like you brits do must be whole a lot nicer than the lame thing the finns do :P
stefan

Post by stefan »

Nice find Franz :D

glad I don't have to clean all that kit anymore :shock:

remember doing sword and cavalry drill will the Provost Corporal Of Horse and his favourite was if you crossed your spurs
you went and locked yourself away down the guard room for some intimate time with a floor bumper and 58 webbing full
of sand happy days :D
FRAUNSWARM

Post by FRAUNSWARM »

Nice one aahhh Happy days in the Guard house :) If any of you Uk Guys are at the Bushey show this coming wochenende
please pay me a visit

Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

FRAUNSWARM wrote:Nice one aahhh Happy days in the Guard house :) If any of you Uk Guys are at the Bushey show this coming wochenende
please pay me a visit
I will certainly be paying you a visit Liebe Manfred..... with a view to discussing this very subject - and putting a proposal to you..... :wink:
Sturmschar

Post by Sturmschar »

:twisted: stop that drilling its driving me mad, all that noise - go and make a hole somwhere else :twisted:
Always keep the boot of destiny aimed at the arse of anticipation!
Heinz O. Kaufmann

Post by Heinz O. Kaufmann »

We also did some basic finnish close order drills, here is the vid: http://www.youtube.com/user/Etulinja#p/u/0/Y-Wr9Q5YN4k
Sheikh Al Stranghi

Post by Sheikh Al Stranghi »

Return to “Drill, Tactics, Fieldcraft”