Tent, the product of 2010! Well for Germans anyway!

Moderator: Pathfinder Jack

Feldjager

Re: Tent, the product of 2010! Well for Germans anyway!

Post by Feldjager »

That's a Tentsmiths repro. They have a PVC window - the originals had a cellulose panel which was on a metal frame. Inside each window was a pocket that this could be slid into. When the tent was taken down, the frames were removed and placed between 2 pieces of wood which went in the tent back to protect them. Some tents in original photos have a mesh in the window, this seems to differ and may well be a field addition using mosquito nets etc.

I do have 9 tents, 3 are more holes than tent and the rest are mostly complete but too fragile to use and certainly not waterproof! They are currently stored in a friend's warehouse laid flat across a couple of pallets.
Feldgendarmerie Trupp 82 - http://www.feldgendarmerie.co.uk
Panzer Nachrichten Abt. 38 - http://www.funker.co.uk
Hauptverbandplatz 82 - http://www.hvp82.co.uk

LHA members
Pathfinder Jack

Post by Pathfinder Jack »

sparky wrote:hi jack
sorry to throw a spanner in the works over tent colours, just thought there must have been other colours as the tan would not have been very camouflaged in a lot of europe.
Im waiting on the zelt book coming then maybe that will cast some more light on the subject!!
No worries Sparky, all feedback and thoughts are welcome.

The issue I have is that the research from Dave and research from me all point to the tan tent. I have to agree with you on the fact that it is a strange shade for a tent to be used in the ETO. That said, Daves original has loops stitched throughout so you can add your own camouflage which would answer that question as the camouflage used would reflect the environment that you were in - if that is the case then this is very clever idea.

I can look at other colours but are we going to far away from the original? Is it worth it? Is it a case that we 'aren't' used to them yet?

Keep it all coming - as then I can produce a tent that you want but I do not want to be historically wrong :cry:

Best wishes,

Jack.
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

Pathfinder Jack wrote:all point to the tan tent. I have to agree with you on the fact that it is a strange shade for a tent to be used in the ETO.
Why? Look at what colour they painted their tanks, other military vehicles and sundry equipment. RAL 7028 is very much a tan colour. Collectors even use the term ordinance tan to refer to the colour ammo cans were painted?
Pathfinder Jack

Stigroadie wrote:
Pathfinder Jack wrote:all point to the tan tent. I have to agree with you on the fact that it is a strange shade for a tent to be used in the ETO.
Why? Look at what colour they painted their tanks, other military vehicles and sundry equipment. RAL 7028 is very much a tan colour. Collectors even use the term ordinance tan to refer to the colour ammo cans were painted?

Hi Sean,

Sorry, I missed out some blanks there - I was comparing (in my mind) with the British and US tentage.
Feldjager

Post by Feldjager »

I agree it is an odd choice of colour for a predominantly green environment! Having said that, I took a photo a few years ago at an event of our display and when I looked at it sometime later on the PC, I can see how it was intended to work (the tent on the left is the original Gerbirgsgruppenzelt and is brown for tropical use. The tilt on the lorry is a shade darker than the tan Jack has used on his tents by way of comparison):

Going back to the thread, however, I think the issue is do you sacrifice what can, so far, be proven to be correct for what the customer wants, even if it isn't correct? I can see the answer to this from both my standpoint as wanting a correct product, and Jack's from a business standpoint in giving a product that the customer requests!
Feldgendarmerie Trupp 82 - http://www.feldgendarmerie.co.uk
Panzer Nachrichten Abt. 38 - http://www.funker.co.uk
Hauptverbandplatz 82 - http://www.hvp82.co.uk

LHA members
Pathfinder Jack

OK folks,

Just wanted to let you know that these will be with us by December - apologies for the flipping delay but now getting back up to speed :oops:

The reason I am saying December is just because I am not sure if the demand ( we are getting through the show season now) is there before this time unless you think differently?!

Kind regards,

Jack.
Pathfinder Jack

Pathfinder Jack wrote:OK folks,

Just wanted to let you know that these will be with us by December - apologies for the flipping delay but now getting back up to speed :oops:

The reason I am saying December is just because I am not sure if the demand ( we are getting through the show season now) is there before this time unless you think differently?!

Kind regards,

Jack.
Chaps - we are bringing delivery date forward on this and expect to have them here in September!

Best wishes and everyone have a great W&P - no drinking. Right?!

Jack!
Gilhusen

Post by Gilhusen »

Still got any german tents for sale?
Pathfinder Jack

Gilhusen wrote:Still got any german tents for sale?
Good to hear Gilhusen and we have just two left!

Kind regards,

Jack.
speiss2002

Post by speiss2002 »

Here is an image of my tent,captured in North Africa.I have owned two of these in Splinter A, both with aluminium poles.
Attachments
9b7a.jpg
9b7a.jpg (77.45 KiB) Viewed 11084 times
speiss2002

Post by speiss2002 »

Here is a somewhat better profile pic.
Attachments
a81d.jpg
a81d.jpg (78.63 KiB) Viewed 11080 times
Brigardefuhrer

Post by Brigardefuhrer »

SNAP!but mine is missing the poles.John
mountain tent.jpg
mountain tent 001.jpg
"I require able bodied men,with good horse and gun.
I wish none but those who desire to be actively engaged".
"Come on boys,if you want a heap of fun and to kill some yankees".
Nathan Bedford Forest.
speiss2002

Post by speiss2002 »

I have an event coming up in 4 weeks where both examples will be on display.i'll take more useful photos of the metal components then.There are four single wall poles, a pair of two-piece centre poles, and a three piece fly pole with four prominent fly retaining points.
Attachments
21aa_1.jpg
21aa_1.jpg (80.28 KiB) Viewed 11025 times

Return to “Patherfinder Distribution - tents”