Tent, the product of 2010! Well for Germans anyway!

Moderator: Pathfinder Jack

Heeresbergführer

Re: Tent, the product of 2010! Well for Germans anyway!

Post by Heeresbergführer »

Pathfinder Jack wrote:Folks - just to spread some post New Year cheer..........the Mountain tent sample has just arrived.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Berg Heil Jack,

Look forward to seeing the kleines Gebirgsnachrichtenzelt!!! Will it be available for sale to the USA?

Also, the poles that you have in your photo look to be Italian type. I have several period German mountain tents at home...they seem to use a variety of both metal and wood pole types.

Horrido!
Patrick
Dort, wo der Adler haust!
Hauptmann u. Heeresbergführer "Papa" Kiser
Kompanie Chef
5. Kp./Hochgebirgsjäger Btl. 4

Pathfinder Jack

Post by Pathfinder Jack »

Many thanks Patrick and yes will be available through our US guys www.ddayquartermaster.com. The poles are what came with the tent but we will have to go over to wooded poles so that we can keep the price down :)

I have to say this is an exceptional sample and again so well made and has everything in it from the sample that we sent. The original sample belonged to Dave sometime back...Dave and I have a weird tent connection - don't ask.

The dilemma I have now is what colour should the end product be? We have had this tent made from the same colour and weight canvas as our German tent.

The original is a very light weight cotton. I wouldn't want to make them to that spec as I want them to last a life time and as always we have to have trade offs.

The canvas we use for our German tents is to heavy so we will go lighter but not as light as the original. But what about the colour??

What colour would you like to see? These tents are for you so your feedback would be very much welcomed.

Kind regards,

Jack.
Heeresbergführer

Pathfinder Jack wrote:The original is a very light weight cotton. I wouldn't want to make them to that spec as I want them to last a life time and as always we have to have trade offs. The canvas we use for our German tents is to heavy so we will go lighter but not as light as the original.

Jack...can you find the light weight cotton material like the original? I know that all my originals are made from that same type of material and seem to have held up exceptionally well for 60+ years! I've slept in them in the rain and they are still waterproof. The light weight material would be better for us Gebirgsjägers who would like to have a tent with us when we are climbing in the French Alps this summer...but a heavier weight tent wouldn't do us much good...unless we has some pack mules to carry them.

Pathfinder Jack wrote:But what about the colour?? What colour would you like to see? These tents are for you so your feedback would be very much welcomed.
As to a color for the tent...olive like the original would be best...or maybe a natural linen color.

Berg Heil und Horrido!
Patrick
Kompanie Chef

KDF

Post by KDF »

Hi Jack,

Any news on these being ready yet ? :)

Regards,

Keith
Founder member of AFRA.
Pathfinder Jack

KDF wrote:Hi Jack,

Any news on these being ready yet ? :)

Regards,

Keith
Good afternoon Keith and a timely question!

Have the sample here - and I will get it put up and take a picture or two. Just some mods that I would like changed and once we are happy we can pull the trigger...

Retail price is going to be around £50,000......come on - everything in the world has gone up in price :shock:
KDF

Post by KDF »

Jack, timing is everything.....:)

Cannot wait to see photo`s.

Regards,

Keith
Founder member of AFRA.
Pathfinder Jack

OK folks pictures coming...

Heeresbergführer

Grüß Gott Jack,

Awesome looking reproduction of the kleines Gebirgsnachrichtenzelt! How much does it weigh, how much does it cost, and when can we get them???? Project Edelweiss 2010 happens in July where a group of Gebirgsjäger reenactors from all over the world will come together for a climb in the French Alps...would be very useful to have these tents for the event.

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=11677

Berg Heil!
Patrick
Kompanie Chef

KDF

Post by KDF »

That looks damned good.......Have you any on the shelf ?
Founder member of AFRA.
Pathfinder Jack

Thanks guys we are very pleased with it. The spec of German tentage is worlds apart from US and the British tenatge - the detail that they went to is impressive.

If you take the door for example - you can button up the end of the built in groundsheet to the door so that your effectivley sealed in - you can button it up both from the inside and the outside. Not only does it have dutch lacing to fasten then the door it also have wooden toggles and loops so that you really are out of the elements..

Measurements:

Flysheet - 7'x10'

Tent - 3'6" high
6' 6" long
4' wide
weight - around 10kg without pegs or poles - which leads onto a question or two

1) what do you think of the colour?
2) made from 13oz canvas - is this to heavy a canvas for you?

Best wishes

Jack.
KDF

Post by KDF »

Tent - 3'6" high
6' 6" long
4' wide
weight - around 10kg without pegs or poles - which leads onto a question or two

1) what do you think of the colour?
2) made from 13oz canvas - is this to heavy a canvas for you?

Best wishes

Jack.[/quote]

Nice tent !

I like the colour, although the original tent is itself more an olive/green colour (?). Still I prefer the new one.

As for canvas weight, again the finer fabric would probably not stand up to much use,so it being sturdier is IMHO better to.Edit to say the tent itself looks `light` enough.

Of course if you`d like to send me one for field trials I`d be happy to evaluate it for you :)

Keith
Founder member of AFRA.
Feldjager

Post by Feldjager »

Colour is good - the original is a more 'tropical' colour, but you see these in all shaded including splinter A camo.

The canvas may be the bugbear - the original is made of a very lightweight, almost linen like material. However I can appreciate that there is a need for a trade off viz a viz authenticity vs available materials and durability.

I've used the original one of these at events on quite a few occasions, and it slept 2 of us with kit easily, and unlike a zelt you don't knock the pole down if you roll over!

Dave
Feldgendarmerie Trupp 82 - http://www.feldgendarmerie.co.uk
Panzer Nachrichten Abt. 38 - http://www.funker.co.uk
Hauptverbandplatz 82 - http://www.hvp82.co.uk

LHA members
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

Keith? Field test? When was the last time you went into a field to sleep?
The only fields you populate are those full of rusty metal.
KDF

Post by KDF »

Stigroadie wrote:Keith? Field test? When was the last time you went into a field to sleep?
The only fields you populate are those full of rusty metal.
And what`s wrong with fields full of rusty german junk ? :twisted:

And yes a field test....in a full camping sense...and seeing that I did own the other one then I can compare it. Unbiased too :)
Founder member of AFRA.

Return to “Patherfinder Distribution - tents”