Kt vs Sani?

Devoted to all that represent Medics etc..

Moderator: DAS MEDIC

RZM

Kt vs Sani?

Post by RZM »

Im unclear as to who would wear the medic trade badge on their sleeve.
Kranken Tragers had the basic training,whereas The Sani had more extensive training..did one or the other wear this sleeve diamond,or is it correct for either of them to have worn it?
"Was ist das?"
"Ihr gefrorenesfleisch medaille. Rot,weiss und schwarz,fur blut,schnee und tod."
Friedrich Köhler

Re: Kt vs Sani?

Post by Friedrich Köhler »

What I know from reading and studying this only the sani had the sleeve patch. A krankenträger is just a regular soldier with 3 months? basic medical training. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm portraying a WSS krankenträger for the time beeing. :)
RZM

Post by RZM »

Danke Herr Kohler..
Im finding there isnt much within the third riech that isnt confusing lol!
I decided on being a WSS Sani. Im from Massachussetts,and the gun laws here are completely over the top. Despite the ATF defining non-guns,and them being legal in every other state,the Ma. State govt. sees it otherwise.
The only way around it i know of is airsoft rifles,and in this state,the end of the barel needs to be clearly marked in florecent orange. You spend a fortune to look authentic and then your weapon has to look rediculous....so the Sani route gets around that,lol.
"Was ist das?"
"Ihr gefrorenesfleisch medaille. Rot,weiss und schwarz,fur blut,schnee und tod."
C.Gebhart

Post by C.Gebhart »

The Krankenträger did not wore a special badge if im not mistaking. They could just as well be used as regular soldiers.
RZM

Post by RZM »

Danke Herr Gebhart.. appreciate the feedback. There arent many absoulutes within the third Reich im finding..always seems to be an exception to the rule..its nice when there is an actual rule lol.
I also understand a war was on,and alot of times formalitys get thtown by the wayside..
"Was ist das?"
DAS MEDIC

Post by DAS MEDIC »

the stretcher bearer was basically for evac of the patient, had some basic first aid skills to assist the sani , they wore a white armband with the words "hilfs krankentrager" printed in black.
"every dog has its' day"
"never pi$$ a guy off who works in a tall glass building who owns a high powered rifle"

manager to real german hairdresser

http://www.motorcyclemedics.page.tl
RZM

Post by RZM »

Danke Das Medic..deffinately going the Sani route. Got my field gear from ATaF the other day..its gonna be expensive filling both of those medic pouches with original gear,but the fun is in.collecting it all :)
"Was ist das?"
21PzSoldat

Post by 21PzSoldat »

Actually, meine Herren, a distinction needs to be made between the Krankentraeger and the Hilfskrankentraeger. Two different fellows. In the Kriegsstarkenachweisen (K.St.N. - organization charts or unit TO&E's) of the early war years, an infantry company (for example) would be authorized one "Sanitaetsunteroffizier" and several (4-6) Krankentraeger, who, as someone noted above, did indeed receive some formal schooling in their duties to enable them to better assist the "Sanis." The same K.St.N. would then specify in a footnote that 6 (or more) Hilskrankentraeger were to be designated from company personnel. (One can imagine -- although the K.St.N.'s do not make the specific recommendation -- that these Hi.Kr.Trg's were designated from among personnel in the company's Tross and not from combat personnel. As the war progressed, the infantry companies (and probably other troop types as well) lost their assigned Krankentraegers, and the company "Sani" had to rely on a slightly augmented number of Hi.Kr.Trg.'s. This is a very general synopsis and I would be happy provide more details, including specific K.St.N. references, if anyone is interested.

By the way, apparently the early war K.St.N. for a Gebirgsjaeger company authorized not only a company-level Sanitaetsunteroffizier, but also platoon-level Sanitatssoldaten! I am guessing that this concession was due to the realization that, in the mountainous terrain where the jaegers were expected to be fighting, one trained "Sani" would be insufficient to render effective medical aid to an entire company.
Andreas Hofer
5./Pz.Gr.R. 125/21. Pz.Div.
21PzSoldat

Post by 21PzSoldat »

By the way, if anyone is interested, I re-pop the "small" bandages -- outer cloth cover, middle "gummihulle," inner paper wrapper and bandage. My model was an original bandage which I (don't hit me!) disassembled "in the interest of science," in order to get accurate measurements and visual details of the constituent parts. Even had a "maker" stamp and "instructions" stamp made up, duplicating those on my original.

In the interest of full disclosure, I make these with the intention of being able to USE and RE-USE the components in those reenactments where I do a "Sani" or "Kr.Trg." impression. Therefore, some of the components are made actually more durable than the original articles (because, frankly guys, German gauze was c-r-a-p and any modern equivalent...if you could find something that porous...would not be usable more than about once; been there, tried that).

Anyway, if someone wants to start re-popping their own bandages for field use, sing out. Happy to share measurement and material details. No doubt someone out there could suggest improvements on how I have been doing it.
Andreas Hofer
5./Pz.Gr.R. 125/21. Pz.Div.
Friedrich Köhler

21PzSoldat wrote:As the war progressed, the infantry companies (and probably other troop types as well) lost their assigned Krankentraegers
I'm a little curious about this. Why did the infantry companies lose their Krankenträgers?
And I wonder if you have any books or webpage links where I might find info about this?
RZM

Post by RZM »

21PzSoldat wrote:By the way, if anyone is interested, I re-pop the "small" bandages -- outer cloth cover, middle "gummihulle," inner paper wrapper and bandage. My model was an original bandage which I (don't hit me!) disassembled "in the interest of science," in order to get accurate measurements and visual details of the constituent parts. Even had a "maker" stamp and "instructions" stamp made up, duplicating those on my original.

In the interest of full disclosure, I make these with the intention of being able to USE and RE-USE the components in those reenactments where I do a "Sani" or "Kr.Trg." impression. Therefore, some of the components are made actually more durable than the original articles (because, frankly guys, German gauze was c-r-a-p and any modern equivalent...if you could find something that porous...would not be usable more than about once; been there, tried that).

Anyway, if someone wants to start re-popping their own bandages for field use, sing out. Happy to share measurement and material details. No doubt someone out there could suggest improvements on how I have been doing it.
Awesome stuff Kamerade. Thanks for the info. I'm quite Interested in the field dressings and making some repros. At 25 a pop for originals it's would be incredibly expensive to fill my sanitator pouches. Ass far as having the stamp made, Chris Pittman I'm sure could do this for me from In Trenches,Ive ordered his stamp sheets before. Great stuff.
Any info would surely be welcome..
"Was ist das?"
Friedrich Köhler

Do you have some pictures to show?
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

To authentically fill two belt pouches, or a shoulder satchel for later war with original items, expect to pay anywhere in the region of £600-£800, possible higher. That's if you can source all the items which is a challenge in itself. Best of luck with your impression.
Transferred to 17 Kompanie, Infanterie Regiment, Großdeutschland....
RZM

Post by RZM »

Thank you. That sounds about right. I'm from the u.s. I found a place that has both pouches,filled with original contents. They are asking about $350 apiece....doubtful I'll buy them,but,it was awesome to see them and what they contained. Also it had pretty good pics of the lid diagrams fir content placement,which I haven't seen before. Does anyone have clear scans of these labels or know where to find them?
"Was ist das?"

Return to “Medics......”