Power Generator Type WG570a

Discuss anything to do with communications here

Moderator: Feldjager

simondodkins

Power Generator Type WG570a

Post by simondodkins »

I recently became the proud owner of my first WWII German generator. It is a type WG570a and the engine was made by DKW auto union in 1942, and the generating part in 1940.

The WG570a is a single cylinder two-stroke engine that runs at 3,000rpm and produces 220 volts at 2.6 amps, and was used to charge batteries and power communications equipment. It runs off a 1 part oil to 25 parts gasoline mix. There is a very similar looking variant generator which is almost identical, but is marked type HNG 100/58. I think the difference is the output current.

Now, the big question, what can I do to get this running again? I am guessing a general de-greasing clean, change of the spark plug, but beyond this, what should I do, or not do?

Can anyone recommend what type of two-stroke oil should be used? What octane fuel should I used? (I am guessing the lower the better?) I can get 87 here. Any help, thoughts or ideas welcome.

(Mods – not sure if this should be under communications equipment, vehicles or general equipment so if I have posted in the wrong place please move – thanks!)
They dropped me behind enemy lines... Quite a long way behind enemy lines... Guildford actually...

You heard the latest phrase? - "Utility Nickers" - ............one yank and they're off
barnaclebill

Re: Power Generator Type WG570a

Post by barnaclebill »

That is a very nice piece of kit.

I take it it doesn't run at the moment? There are only 3 reasons an engine will not run. Lack of or poor spark, fuel or compression.

When you turn it over can you feel the compression?
Is there fuel getting to the cylinder?
Is there a spark at the plug?

Start there and work back. Be careful of dismantling it unnecessarily, you may damage irreplaceable seals or gaskets. I got a 1929 generator engine going by just cleaning the spark plug, the carb and replacing the cylinder head gasket, had to make that.

I have no idea of two stroke oils in the US sorry apart from Google :lol:

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Matt, 85th Gebirgsjager, part of the '39-45 Society'.
simondodkins

Post by simondodkins »

Thanks......I am picking it up tomorrow from the docks so over the weekend I will be able to provide a much fuller reply. The previous owner tells me it was turning over freely and he pulled the pull-start out a little, and it did seem to have some compression. I'll know a lot more this weekend!
They dropped me behind enemy lines... Quite a long way behind enemy lines... Guildford actually...

You heard the latest phrase? - "Utility Nickers" - ............one yank and they're off
Heini

Post by Heini »

Hi,

really nice piece!!

I´ve got the same one. And model WG570b as well :D

The biggest advantage presented type is 220V out. Because by WG570b I have has only 65V out :wink:
Anyway, great stuff to camp :D Friend of mine told me, that they always dug a hole next to the generator. And than, they moved the exhaust pipe to the hole and covered it with grass. There was less noise and smoke. We tried it and it really works :lol:
Uffz. Heinrich Wiegrewe
1/Jnf.Rgt.18
"Kein Regiment soll besser sein!"
http://www.kvhwurm.cz
simondodkins

Post by simondodkins »

Hey thanks!....really interesting. Fingers crossed I get it running soon, and I will certainly try that.

At the moment I have a cracked manifold which needs to be carefully welded back - waiting on the welder!

Recce 1

Post by Recce 1 »

I have been offered a DKW 250cc 36 volt 50 amp Generator.

Is this the same set as featured on this thread and what sort of value should I be looking at.

Does anyone know if any of the parts particularly ignition are still available?
simondodkins

Post by simondodkins »

Been a very long time since a posted about this baby but it was seized and had a cracked manifold. Both have now been repaired and I am about to put the baby in the hands of a tamed mechanic to see if he can finally get this running again.

I also found coming up on eBay quite often are spares and parts for these. I found one original box which sits in the lid (there are three in total) and they have all have original new (old) spare parts.

wolfsangel

Post by wolfsangel »

I've recently (today) acquired 'a few' of these generators that need total refurbishment, so if you need any parts or want another project let me know!!
Frontschweine, Regiment 409

Return to “Radio/signals”