Reproduction Torn Fu d2

Discuss anything to do with communications here

Moderator: Feldjager

mroeding

Reproduction Torn Fu d2

Post by mroeding »

Reproduction Torn Fu d2 that I built in my workshop. It took me over a dozen weekends over the course of 1 year and approximately $500.00 to complete. It was a fun project with many challenges to overcome. I will now share my experiences building this with all those who are involved in building their own radio set.
BOXES:
I used ¼” Masonite, 1” aluminum angle and flat stock and aluminum rivets. These items can be purchased at Home Depot, Lowes and Hanson Rivet. I chose Masonite because it looks like steel when painted and sealed. The angle stock was partially mitered and wrapped around the box and covers and then riveted in place. The boxes are fairly solid when braced with the angle stock regardless of the flexibility of the Masonite.
BOX DETAILS:
The footman loops (purchased from ACE Hardware) bolted on using self locking nuts.
D-Rings fabricated from flat aluminum stock and riveted in place.
Latches (purchased from Blitz Bikes) riveted in place.
Antenna bracket fabricated from thin sheet metal riveted in place.
Back pad brackets fabricated from slightly thicker sheet metal riveted in place.
Handles bolted on using self locking nuts and large washers on the inside to prevent potential tear-out if the handle is yanked.
Battery Plug door assembly fabricated from thin sheet metal riveted in place sealed with metal filler (purchased from ACE Hardware) as well as all other joints.
Shelves and compartments fabricated from Masonite and angle stock riveted in place.
Battery plug holder fabricated from wood (with Masonite glued to the front) and a copper connector fitting mounted in the center.
ANTENNA:
Resin base (purchase from Brad Blondett) reinforced with a threaded rod through the long axis connected to a piece of poplar wood turned on a lathe to approximate dimensions. ½” to ¾” reducer copper fitting mounted on top to accommodate antenna sections made out of ½” copper pipe with a soldered connector fittings on each as well as a hole drilled. Connector wire is regular black electrical cord with a ¼” audio plug attached.
BACK PADS:
Fabricated from Masonite, foam padding, faux leather (purchased from Joann’s Crafts) sheet metal strips and aluminum rivets.
Shoulder straps made from post-war Austrian Y straps, removed shoulder pads, back strap attachment rivets. Use binder posts to quickly install and remove straps when necessary.
BATTERIES:
90 Volt batteries fabricated from wood covered in black construction paper, label applied (see in files section) and glued and covered in Mod Podge glue. Leather strap (Czech straps purchased from Web Haus) attached to back. The battery itself is attached to the box through shelf holes with bolts anchoring into “T nuts” in the base on the battery.
Sammler Battery fabricated from wood covered, painted. Wire terminals are Allen bolts with the slot filled in with metal filler and painted. Leather strap (Czech straps purchased from Web Haus) attached to back. The battery itself is attached to the box through divider holes with bolts anchoring into “T nuts” in the side of the battery.
FACEPLATE:
Resin face plate (purchase from Brad Blondett), carefully sawed off the 5 knobs and lever, drilled holes and recessed rims for the 2 sight glasses. Drilled holes for audio jacks and knob shafts.
Used small hollow rods (purchased from hobby shop) to reinforce holes and glue into backs of knobs.
Fabricated dials out of sheet plastic (purchased from hobby shop) used copy of a graduated dial and taped to plastic dial using clear packing tape.
Used thread, paper and tape to place indicator line on inside of the sight glasses.
Installed ¼” audio jack (antenna) and 1/8” audio jacks (headphones), cut away some of the insulation to facilitate installation (purchased from Radio Shack) and glued using Krazy Glue.
Used a magnet mounted on the inner frame as a fastener for the battery plug with a metal washer glued to the face of the plug.
NOTES:
The face plate is mounted to a frame that is built into the box. Three of the four resin cast screw heads are drilled out and a hole is drilled through the plate. 3 metal bolts are screwed into “T nuts: attached to the frame to attach the plate to the box.
Two 1/8” audio y splitters are used one for the ipod and one for the walkie talkie. A third 1/8” audio wire with a 1/8” to 1/32” reducer plug is used for the walkie talkie.
Used a midland walkie talkie (purchased at Staples) that has a 1/8” and 1/32” jacks for headphones and microphones.
The inside of the radio box is lined with foam padding to hold the devices in place.
PAINTING & FINISHING:
All resin parts primed with model primer. Used Urban Gray Krylon Camo Spray Paint (now discontinued) to paint boxes, covers, faceplate, back pads, and then sealed with Krylon 2 Coat Sealer.
Painted dials, volt meters, and plug bar by hand with black model paint. Used white acrylic paint for text as well as a paint pen.
HEADPHONES:
Bought an old vintage 1950’s headset from eBay ($10.00) and replaced plug with a modern 1/8” plug (purchased from Radio Shack).
HAND MICROPHONE:
Resin Kit (purchase from Brad Blondett) drilled and hollowed out pieces, used small brass screws and a hangar clip to fasten it together (purchased from ACE Hardware).
Used an old headphone speaker as a microphone, installed a switch, wire and modern 1/8” plug (purchased from Radio Shack).
Attachments
Front View:
Front View:
Torn fu d2 5 (Small).JPG (32 KiB) Viewed 14026 times
Field Setting:
Field Setting:
P5303340 (Small).JPG (42.98 KiB) Viewed 14026 times
Manpack Configuration:
Manpack Configuration:
P5303348a copy (Small).jpg (41.49 KiB) Viewed 14026 times
Kurt Schulte

Re: Reproduction Torn Fu d2

Post by Kurt Schulte »

Brilliant work! I am currently working on one of these myself, I can only hope to finish it as nice and complete as yours. If you do not mind I may contact you throughout the build for some pointers or suggestions.
Obergefreiter Kurt Schulte
2Kp. Großdeutschland
Ohio USA
ssparatrooper

Post by ssparatrooper »

Very nice!
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Wunderbar!!! :)

Pipes
mroeding

Post by mroeding »

Kurt Schulte wrote:Brilliant work! I am currently working on one of these myself, I can only hope to finish it as nice and complete as yours. If you do not mind I may contact you throughout the build for some pointers or suggestions.
Yeah sure no problem, drop me a line anytime.

Here are two links to my other posts. You have to join the group (easy) but there is a wealth of information I posted:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Nachricht ... 7/pic/list
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Nachricht ... u%20d2%20/

Here is another link I posted:
http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/ ... p?t=538482
Hauser

Post by Hauser »

What a fantastic build ! attention to detail is spot on ! may i ask what size of Latches from Blitz Bikes did you use ? as it shows two sizes ?

Box Latches. With corner or flush mount catch
Large 4 x 1" Price $12/set
Small 3 1/4 x 1" Price $10/set

many thanks Rich
AFRA member
mroeding

Post by mroeding »

Hauser wrote:What a fantastic build ! attention to detail is spot on ! may i ask what size of Latches from Blitz Bikes did you use ? as it shows two sizes ?

Box Latches. With corner or flush mount catch
Large 4 x 1" Price $12/set
Small 3 1/4 x 1" Price $10/set

many thanks Rich
Thanks Rich, I used the small latches. Good Luck with your project.

Mike
Hauser

Post by Hauser »

Thanks Mike for swift responce ! looking forward to seeing other projects from you ! best regards Rich :)
AFRA member
mroeding

Post by mroeding »

An absolute incredible scratch built reproduction of a Torn fu d2 can be found here:

http://www.mytornradiofud2modelproject.com/index.html

My compliments to the fabricator!
Attachments
5577640_orig.jpg
5577640_orig.jpg (141.61 KiB) Viewed 12693 times
Panzer212

Post by Panzer212 »

I found his website a while ago and asked where he got his dials from and he emailed me the sheet, they look very nice. I could not imagine going into the level of detail he does.
Kleinsmann

Post by Kleinsmann »

I'm currently trying to build a repro Torn FuD for our groups display, I have the casing made and have tried ( unsuccesfully ) to build a face plate from scratch. Would appreciate any help locating a resin faceplate. I've looked on E bay and put a few posts on other forums but not having much luck up to yet, Cheers ! :roll:
Gefreiter
PanzerGD
mroeding

Post by mroeding »

Kleinsmann wrote:I'm currently trying to build a repro Torn FuD for our groups display, I have the casing made and have tried ( unsuccesfully ) to build a face plate from scratch. Would appreciate any help locating a resin faceplate. I've looked on E bay and put a few posts on other forums but not having much luck up to yet, Cheers ! :roll:
Here is your link: http://myworld.ebay.com/mycarisapieceof ... 7675.l2559
Kleinsmann

Post by Kleinsmann »

Thanks for that, I'll check it out
Gefreiter
PanzerGD
mroeding

Post by mroeding »

Incredible a replica Torn Fu d2 has sold for $1,100.00 on ebay!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... NA:US:1653

I am curious what my set would fetch.

P.S. I am 70% complete on a reproduction Torn eb.
Attachments
1 Small.jpg
1 Small.jpg (36.19 KiB) Viewed 11450 times
2 Small.jpg
2 Small.jpg (60.11 KiB) Viewed 11450 times
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Kleinsmann wrote:I'm currently trying to build a repro Torn FuD for our groups display, I have the casing made and have tried ( unsuccesfully ) to build a face plate from scratch. Would appreciate any help locating a resin faceplate. I've looked on E bay and put a few posts on other forums but not having much luck up to yet, Cheers ! :roll:
Try here: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=21006

Return to “Radio/signals”