WW2 Propoganda Kompanie? Movie Camera

Discuss anything to do with communications here

Moderator: Feldjager

BedsnHerts

Re: WW2 Propoganda Kompanie? Movie Camera

Post by BedsnHerts »

You can still buy Bolex clockwork 16mm cameras for around £100 on ebay. The post war ones are slightly different to the 1940s ones but only an expert would know. It's a bit more heavy duty than a pocket 8mm. Expired film stock can be got with a bit of hunting and a cheap process and telecine is about £200 for 500 feet (17 mins of footage). Or you could just shoot without film if all you want is a satisfying whirr from the camera :-)
SchutzeHagemann

Post by SchutzeHagemann »

BedsnHerts wrote:You can still buy Bolex clockwork 16mm cameras for around £100 on ebay. The post war ones are slightly different to the 1940s ones but only an expert would know. It's a bit more heavy duty than a pocket 8mm. Expired film stock can be got with a bit of hunting and a cheap process and telecine is about £200 for 500 feet (17 mins of footage). Or you could just shoot without film if all you want is a satisfying whirr from the camera :-)
I keep seeing these Bolex cameras circa 1940's for under $150 on ebay... are you sure they were used in WW2 by the Germans? I'm looking for an alternative to the Arriflex.. something reasonably priced to make unit movies with.

Sam
Kampfgruppe Steiner
West-Front

Post by West-Front »

You mean the Bolex H16 ?
Botty

Post by Botty »

You could go for an H8 instead. Visually similar and much cheaper to use to actually produce film.

I have never seen a picture of one in use by German forces though (cue posts of lots of photos to support this :D ).

The info on issue cameras was from 'A reporter in hell' written by a serving PK and this does not list bolex as an issue make.
Be a pessimist and never be disappointed.
BedsnHerts

Post by BedsnHerts »

SchutzeHagemann wrote:are you sure they were used in WW2 by the Germans? I'm looking for an alternative to the Arriflex.. something reasonably priced to make unit movies with
Not for official PK use as far as I know but almost certainly as home movie cameras by soldiers with deeper pockets.
West-Front

Post by West-Front »

Can recommend this DVD as well, good mixture of Official and private footage
Mit der Kamera an der Ostfront
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLAqusFveCs

jason litt

Post by jason litt »

Hi Guys , this may interest you ....

Just picked up an Arriflex 35 , its unfortunately a post war IIa ( sorry to disapoint ), identical to the War time version externally , cosmetically and in configuration , except for the made in West Germany in tiny writing on the lower camera door , the 180 shutter I believe is different , along with the mirror for the lens , but these are internal differences , so in effect a Wartime appearance camera ( as later versions from the IIb upwards are cosmetically different ) , certainly in silouhette , the camera was reasonably :oops: priced and works , hence my choice and I can use my set of Eyemo lenses as the attatchments are compatible , just the iconic matte box to source...

My promblem now is the battery box , what is its construction ?, metal or wood , does it have a canvas or leather strap ? its difficult to tell from the B&W photos , once I have built this I will look at power , as the motor works and I have the leads , but I will have to mock up a battery box as there appears to be no originals or a modern or newer substitute ?.

My thoughts are at the moment to scale up the Dragon battery box provided with the action figure , this looks a reasonable bet , what does anybody think , I am open to ideas here ...

I am hoping to have this out by Mappledurham in April 2014 at least to practise with if not to film ...

For those that know us , we usually use Bell and Howe Eyemo and Filmos and re enact as US , it will be good to complement this with the German role

Many thanks , Jason , Many Fronts Living History
LHistorian

Post by LHistorian »

Can't believe I didn't see this post earlier, had asked a question a whiles back (http://panzergrenadier.net/forum/viewto ... =6&t=21124) and this spot had the answers! SchutzeHagemann, If I may ask, where did you find that photo of that Offizier with the Cine' kodak model 25?
die Wille Gottes wird nie nehmen Sie, wo die Gnade Gottes wird Sie nicht schützen.
~~~~~~
Put a German soldier into a box. Close it as tight as you can.

Write on it´s top the warning: " DO NOT OPEN! ONLY IN CASE OF WAR!"
jason litt

Post by jason litt »

jason litt wrote:Hi Guys , this may interest you ....

Just picked up an Arriflex 35 , its unfortunately a post war IIa ( sorry to disapoint ), identical to the War time version externally , cosmetically and in configuration , except for the made in West Germany in tiny writing on the lower camera door , the 180 shutter I believe is different , along with the mirror for the lens , but these are internal differences , so in effect a Wartime appearance camera ( as later versions from the IIb upwards are cosmetically different ) , certainly in silouhette , the camera was reasonably :oops: priced and works , hence my choice and I can use my set of Eyemo lenses as the attatchments are compatible , just the iconic matte box to source...

My promblem now is the battery box , what is its construction ?, metal or wood , does it have a canvas or leather strap ? its difficult to tell from the B&W photos , once I have built this I will look at power , as the motor works and I have the leads , but I will have to mock up a battery box as there appears to be no originals or a modern or newer substitute ?.

My thoughts are at the moment to scale up the Dragon battery box provided with the action figure , this looks a reasonable bet , what does anybody think , I am open to ideas here ...

I am hoping to have this out by Mappledurham in April 2014 at least to practise with if not to film ...

For those that know us , we usually use Bell and Howe Eyemo and Filmos and re enact as US , it will be good to complement this with the German role

Many thanks , Jason , Many Fronts Living History

Just a picture to Illustrate the impression and the camera ....
[attachment=0]Victory Show.jpg[/attachment
Attachments
Victory Show.jpg
Victory Show.jpg (71.63 KiB) Viewed 10942 times

Return to “Radio/signals”