Powering equipment in the field

Discuss anything to do with communications here

Moderator: Feldjager

Eberhard

Powering equipment in the field

Post by Eberhard »

Hi

Was wondering whether anyone can answer my query. Apart from generators which units had to power radios etc, was there are any other method they used if generators were not available, i.e batteries to run electrical equipment .

Would like to portray a civilian radio being used in the field at events and was wondering whether if generator were not available did they use a type of battery.

If anyone got any pictures of what they used would be grateful if you could get in touch.

Regards

Eberhard
Crazy Feldgendarme

Re: Powering equipment in the field

Post by Crazy Feldgendarme »

Ever ready were making batteries for "portable radios" from at least 1943 so as long as its a pucker period radio I cant see any problem
May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day and may their arms be too short to scratch.

GeFoPo
Eberhard

Post by Eberhard »

Cheers for that.
pepperpot

Post by pepperpot »

ive seen (but cannot find) a picture of soldaten, on the back of a kubelwagen, using the bakelite radio and batteries to power it, low voltage to heat the valve elements and high voltage to make the radio receive german propaganda. There were (as far as i know) only two permitted radio channels to listen to but later in the war when the yanks invaded europe some germans listened to the American AFR radio because of the musik.
graham
Eberhard

Post by Eberhard »

Hi graham

Thanks for that, I basically bought a civilian 1936 Blaupunkt radio, which is big wooden radio in a moment of madness, did not really think about how to portray it how it would be powered in the field, think that it would have had to be run if a generator if used that way.

Probably sell it if It now if can't get the impression right.

Regards

Eberhard
Eberhard

Post by Eberhard »

Hi

Found this picture of a german battery, would like to make a dummy of this, wondering if anyone knows the dimensions.

Any help would be appreciated.

Prepares

Nigel
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (38.57 KiB) Viewed 11527 times
Feldjager

Post by Feldjager »

What radio is it as this will dictate the power supply. For example, the Torn Eb and Fud2 (the most popular repro sets amongst groups) used a 2V wet cell (the 2B38 one you have posted) and a 90V anode dry plate cell.

Larger sets needed dynamotors, which could run off batteries but were usually vehicle mounted as it was too bulky to be carried. My Fu11SE100 set uses the 2.4NC28 batteries (right) to power the dynamotor (2nd right) for the 100W sender unit (2nd left).
fu11_se_100_setup.jpg
fu11_se_100_setup.jpg (35.45 KiB) Viewed 11496 times
The 2B38 cells are a resin body, usually translucent but sometimes black. I did make a run in resin a few years ago but the moulds have now perished. I've got a few originals in the shed, I'll pull one out tonight and measure it and get you some photos if you like. I think I still have a repro of the side label somewhere as well.

I also did a run of the 90V anode cells as well, the one below is based on an original I've got.
90V-battery-complete.jpg
90V-battery-complete.jpg (33.44 KiB) Viewed 11496 times
There was also the pedal powered generator as well, usualy carried in the Kfz17 vehicles, amongst others.

The bakelite Volksempfänger could be powered from a 12V battery. This is taken from a 1942 Signal magazine - a similar type of radio (in principal) to the one you are referring to. You can see it's running from the vehicle battery and it appears the antenna is training off to the left of the photo.
signal_11.jpg
signal_11.jpg (162.78 KiB) Viewed 11494 times
Feldgendarmerie Trupp 82 - http://www.feldgendarmerie.co.uk
Panzer Nachrichten Abt. 38 - http://www.funker.co.uk
Hauptverbandplatz 82 - http://www.hvp82.co.uk

LHA members
Eberhard

Post by Eberhard »

Hi fieldjager

Thanks for the info, it's basically a bog standard civilian radio, so could a 2b 38 be able to power it? The radio is a 1936 BLAUPUNKT radio, just going to use it for background music at events.

I am going to take the electrical parts, etc out and place a CD player inside, just need to make a 'power supply' as am bound to be asked how was it powered etc. in the field, so any advice or pics you have would be gratefully appreciated.

If you know anyone who needs parts, may have what they want from the 'guts' of the radio as I really don't need them as need the create a space and lighten it as it's heavy.

Regards

Eberhard
pepperpot

Post by pepperpot »

mp3 player is better as you dont have to keep changing the cd every hour or so, can be inside the radio or discreetly stored outside.
graham
Eberhard

Post by Eberhard »

Hi

Cheers Graham for that.

Regards

Eberhard
f.knieriemen

Post by f.knieriemen »

Hi - wrt power supply during events, I emptied the wooden WH battery box (it carried NICd 'batteries') you see on the lower left side of the pic and put three 12V Motorcycle batteries in...

or next solution is (same pic) the Anodenbatterie case in the Eb accessory box (labled "PERTRIX") hosts also a 12V motorcycle battery...

why 12VDC? - because I operate the gear with Civil Band radiosets...

Return to “Radio/signals”