How did German radio operators operate?

Discuss anything to do with communications here

Moderator: Feldjager

Panzer212

How did German radio operators operate?

Post by Panzer212 »

I have yet to come across an explanation on how German funkers operated in the field. I am building a Torn Fu G set, so I am very curious how a mobile radio operator did his job.

Were they integrated into a squad? Did they operate in individual radio squads that worked in the field aside the infantry units? Really, what was their job and how did they do it?
saddler

Re: How did German radio operators operate?

Post by saddler »

Back when I got into this hobby the internet was not around

The ONLY real source of data were reference books, of one kind or another...some good, some not so...

One of THE main sources on the WW2 German Army was (still is?) a WW2 US Army Technical Manual
Namely: TM-E 30-451: Handbook on German Military Forces

From what I can gather, it's never really been out of print since WW2 as once the US Gov't. stopped producing it, it was copied & reprinted by smaller publishing houses...

NOW = seems that a sort of copy is on-line: http://www.lonesentry.com/manuals/tme30/
Scroll down to CHAPTER VIII. EQUIPMENT - Section IV. SIGNAL EQUIPMENT

I still use a paper copy - not that difficult to find and luckily not too expensive when you do locate them, anything from $10 to $20 average.

MAY help - hope so - if not, see what else you can find that was printed back in the day (when the information was fresh/un-diluted)

Return to “Radio/signals”