Torn E. b Restoration

Discuss anything to do with communications here

Moderator: Feldjager

Gewehr1

Torn E. b Restoration

Post by Gewehr1 »

I am new to radio collecting but not to militaria. I recently obtained a 1943 Torn E. b. receiver, battery box, headset, and a few extra tubes. I have been reading some of the information here and it has been helpful. My goal is to restore the cases and get the receiver working. It was a vet bring back and he actually used it years ago. The receiver looks clean and not corroded. I been chatting with a local radio repair company and they feel they can manufacturer a AC power device for the unit. They also said they can make a DC device using ten 9 volt batteries in a series to achieve the 90 volts needed to power the receiver and two D cell reduced from 3 volts to 2 volts.
Has anyone done this and does it work? Additionally, I would be appreciative for advice on any of the following topics:

Cases were sprayed the wrong shade of gray 20 years ago covering up the lettering on same. What color could I use to match the dark gray color of the receiver face? Can anyone send me good photos of what the original lettering on the cases should look like? I have an artist who is willing to reproduce it for me.

Battery case is missing shelf over 90 volt battery compartment. Does anyone know where I could get a replacement made?

The thin steel on the inside floor of the case rusted away and I had to remove it. This included removing the partition and the corroded battery tray rail attached to it. I did not remove the rail on the left side because it looks good. Any ideas about replacing the floor of the case? Was considering welding a new piece in until I discovered it was real thin and attached to wood. How this is it?

Looking for one or two 5 hole plugs to use with the new power sources because I don’t want to damage old one.
Any speakers that will work with the until or a two prong plugs to make my own.

Ideas on connections for an antenna and ground?

Any information will help.
Thanks
John
Gewehr1

Re: Torn E. b Restoration

Post by Gewehr1 »

See photo
Attachments
Photo
Photo
IMG_torn (1).jpg (230.68 KiB) Viewed 5082 times

Return to “Radio/signals”