Signals for living history battles

Discuss anything to do with communications here

Moderator: Feldjager

Muller

Signals for living history battles

Post by Muller »

Hi there, is there any Groups/units out there that would want to portral and use their signals kit to make Living History battles have more realism.

HG tried this at the last LH Battle at Mereworth, we were set back as our signals man did not turn up to well in the afternoon, but luckly Les stepped in and help us out.

The idea was good but becoase we did not have enough man power we could contiualy check and monitore the lines and have someone on the field exchange all the time.

It really takes a dedicated unit to make it work. It would really help battles become more alive.

Cheers

Dan.
352nd

Post by 352nd »

Yeah the 352nd do. We have field telephones (yet to get them working) and a captured British 19 set which works.
Stabsgefreiter Martin Hetch-2nd Panzer Aufklärungs Abteilung, Grossdeutschland.

Muller

Post by Muller »

Well if anyone wants to do signals at the next Livining History Battle could you contact Spencer Reeves?

If you need his contact details let me know.

Dan.
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Dan
Would that be dedicated signals and no battling? Like set up, maintenance, line checks and repairs? If a unit has the dedication to come and do thaty I take my hat off to them....... I really would like to see it done. They wouldn't have to spend a mint on weapons hire either.....

Come to think of it - Anyone who re-enacts but considers themselves too old or unfit to battle could do a feldkuche couldn't they? HG bring the gulashkanone, everyone chuck in vittles and firewood, the ear and stomach lads prep and cook it and we send vehicles out to collect the essenbehalters and distribute rations..... Bloody hell I can see this expanding into quite a good period piece.......

Maybe now we have a dedicated Axis forum UK - what about using this to co-ordinate the event from the Jerry side? Just a thought.... NO spam, no Tak Nochno shit..... just Axis boys doing Axis business....
352nd

Post by 352nd »

what would be good in a battle would a man crawlling across the floor, trying to relay the cable for a field telephone, like out of Enemy At the Gates. That'd look good.
Stabsgefreiter Martin Hetch-2nd Panzer Aufklärungs Abteilung, Grossdeutschland.

Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

So are you taking up this offer? Believe me - to turn it down would be MAD - Dan is talking about THE Private Battle this year...... Absolute realism. Your kit has to be top notch, everything you carry, You could learn so much by attending and this is the point. Get EVERYONE involved who gets to a certain standard already and work together over a weekend to improve knowledge and standards.....

I know Muller's lads have all the gear...... So they could make available most of what you'd need. And if your boys are prepared to crawl along the floor to repair a line then you are the sort of people we need......

Talk it over with your crew..... I tell you - This is a big opportunity.... You will never see a set up like this otherwise. This is Hell's Highway re-enacted in hundreds of acres of Army Training Estate..... Friday to Sunday in the field, getting your own shelter, carrying your own grub and stuff..... This is Premier League stuff..... Don't turn it down.
Muller

Post by Muller »

Yes my Kamerad, a dedicated Unit!

We set up com lines to conect different sectors however you have to tie it all in with the scenario, ie it no good going to all the evffort to set up phones and then they are overan in the first hour of the battle etc etc... the last thing you want is tommy or the septics on the other line taking the piss :wink:

I'll give you one example, we and a fellow HG mann are sitting in our fox hole.... we try to ring HQ as we have not had a situation report for some time... no answer ??? i then send a runner to HQ (defeting the object of the phones in the first place)... the runner finds no one at the exchange .... we think that must be the answer ..... some time laster after runner returns.... a runner comes from HQ... why aint you answering your phone ???? cos no ones rang us.... turns out some cluts has kicked the wires out of the exchange...

so without a dedicated unit that are checking the lines manning the exchange, doing 10 min line checks etc etc,,, it can become a waste of time taking them.

But this type of thing brings us to Groups pulling together for the greater good and to make everyones weekend better, if its not phones it could be sharing halftracks, cooking the food in doms field kitchen there are lots of possiblities etc etc...

Dan.
les hearn

Post by les hearn »

dan
afte thinking about it i am willing to do such a thing regarding the phones situation .

i have only three phones as yet but only one works perfectly .

i have the phone exchange.
and other prise posessions (for pic only tho)
so if there are any others willing to get involved regarding the kit situation please regard me as in.
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Why don't we propose Les as Comms "Officer"? Let him co-ordinate and oversee it.... I'm sure we can promote him for the event.....
Muller

Post by Muller »

Hi Les, thanks for stepping up to the jump, it may not be where the iron crosses grow but as we try to improve living history battles and make them more realisitc things like this make all the difference.

I am sure Dom would let you use all the kit we had at Mereworth, just think of all german sectors being linked up, regular orders being given to inforce or transfer forces to plug holes etc etc.....

lets get it on!
StWm Kratz

FF 33 u.Kleine Klappenschrank

Post by StWm Kratz »

Heil Euch,
This is my first post so Hallo Alle zusammen.

I have 8000 mts of D10 in 800mt drums(on 5 or 6 WH drums rest on wood drums) 2 X Feldvermittlungen 10 X Ff 33(fully working 25 in repair plus loads of spares)
2 x Backbacks one back one for comms trolley/cart,Repair kits.Fernschreibers,Hellschreibers and some working Ost Radios

Ideally a Comms zug would constist of at least
les hearn

Post by les hearn »

hi ya :wink: dom
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

At least what Dom? I'd just got interested and you left me hanging!!!!!
Schäfer

Post by Schäfer »

I've sent this forum's URL to Paul Kew-Dennis of the SBG.

He's our Funker man and is very knowledgable. Hopefully we'll get his input at some future stage.
'Heia Safari' Facebook group page: https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/341661532588540

les hearn

Post by les hearn »

to be honest the more the better

its not an easy task.
also having as much eqiuptment as possible would be better.
i have a back pack reel also plus three emptys.
not as much as dom has tho :wink:

Return to “Radio/signals”