SS Soldbuch who can fill out the book correctly

for information on soldbuchs,stamps,money,passes etc.

Moderator: Feldjager

Peiper

Re: SS Soldbuch who can fill out the book correctly

Post by Peiper »

Hoffman Grink wrote:With respect Loz (Peiper) and trying not to be insulting - Too many stamps.........
Lol :D Its the Germans fault lol,

They loved their stamps didn't they,
everything in triplicate heh heh :lol:
koobleguy

Post by koobleguy »

Peiper wrote:Hi Nick
Here's a couple of random pics from my Soldbuch as requested to give you an idea, there were
a few mistakes with the stampings where ive slipped or the ink has gone through overleaf but as
far as i know the info is translated correctly and in the right places, although on some originals were
stamping mistakes, ive used different inks etc to give the impression the entries were written randomly
and at different times by different people.
Pipes :)
being curious: why does it say "Cologne" instead of "Köln" in german?

you would have been shot nearly instantly as a spy :wink: :mrgreen:
regards, koobleguy

always looking for parts, pictures etc for VW Kübelwagen type 82 Schwimmwagen type 166 BMW R75
Chris Pittman

Post by Chris Pittman »

Suetterlin script was no longer taught in schools after 1941 but it was not "banned" and people who had been taught to write this script continued to write this way for Soldbuch entries and for everything else. I have countless examples, here is a big chunk of Suetterlin on page 8 of a Heer Soldbuch, the entry is from 30 October 1942.

I applaud the efforts of anyone who attempt to fill in their own Soldbuch. It takes a lot of research but it leads to a greater understanding of one's historical persona.
Attachments
Suetterlin.jpg
Suetterlin.jpg (142.65 KiB) Viewed 7477 times
Chris Pittman

Post by Chris Pittman »

Here is a link to some scans of the latest reproduction Soldbuch I have filled out:

http://www.intrenches.com/samplesb.htm

This is a work in progress and is not yet completed. I have some new rubber stamps in the works that I will be adding to this when they are done. I have some pages to add, also. With some wear and tear from use this would look more convincing. Artificial aging is something I haven't experimented with, on paperwork. Carried in a Feldbluse in field conditions, a Soldbuch starts to look worn enough on its own fairly quickly.

I put a lot of entries in this book because I like the look of a book crammed full of stuff. But not all original books looked like this. I have some that were carried for years that have relatively few entries. I also have some that were issued late in the war where only a few of the pages were ever filled out. A book doesn't have to have to have dozens of stamps to be totally authentic and correct.

I could probably nitpick something on every page of this book- a signature that looks drawn and not signed, or repetitive entries in the same inks, etc. I practice on these a lot so I am always getting better. Every book I do is the best one I have ever done, at this point.

Filling out one Soldbuch can be very hard. But filling out dozens for people in the same unit is easy, though still time consuming. It takes a few pens and a decent set of stamps. Not every clerk had great handwriting, anyone can write in the German scripts with practice and some effort. Figuring out what goes where and what entries make sense for any given unit takes some reading and research. Many entries, however, are standard for almost any book, and they are often repetitive. Filling these out is not as daunting of a challenge, as it may seem.

I welcome any questions or comments on the scans.

Chris Pittman
gurowski

Post by gurowski »

Hoffman Grink wrote:With respect Loz (Peiper) and trying not to be insulting - Too many stamps.........
Thats being nice Paul. Not only the stamps but wrong info written in for the sake of it. Looks like a composite of 2-3 different paybooks, cos a lot of it doesnt fit
West-Front

Post by West-Front »

koobleguy wrote: why does it say "Cologne" instead of "Köln" in german? you would have been shot nearly instantly as a spy :wink: :mrgreen:
Blame Colin, his eyesight isn't what it used to be :D
gurowski wrote:
Thats being nice Paul. Not only the stamps but wrong info written in for the sake of it. Looks like a composite of 2-3 different paybooks, cos a lot of it doesnt fit
Morigi has a lot to answer for, those SS-Flak Abt stamps were always popular :wink:
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

You should all take a look at Chris' website and check out his range of rubber stamps.
Stunning work. I don't ever intend to fill out my own book but I bought the stamps because they were such a wonderful thing. If anyone fancies doing their own books or books for others I think they are a fantastic resource.
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

gurowski wrote:
Thanks Gurowski
Maybe you could put up some pics of your finished Soldbuch that you have done yourself ??
just to show me where im going wrong, as i try and listen to "expert" advice !!
gurowski

Post by gurowski »

Thanks Gurowski
Maybe you could put up some pics of your finished Soldbuch that you have done yourself ??
I've got a better idea Peiper, why dont check out some of the soldbuch I have filled in over the years for the members of my unit, the SBG. That will be far more usefull to you than a few scans will be.
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

gurowski wrote:
Thanks Gurowski
I've got a better idea Peiper, why dont check out some of the soldbuch I have filled in over the years for the members of my unit, the SBG. That will be far more usefull to you than a few scans will be.
Ok mate
Could you tell me apart from the Cologne spelling and too many ink stamps (not Flak Abt stamps West-front lol),
could you tell me what information is wrong?, as far as iam aware the information is correct, admittedly the Soldbuch
is not 100% and some of the things can be put right but the translation and info has been put in the right places ??
gurowski

Post by gurowski »

Ok mate
Could you tell me apart from the Cologne spelling and too many ink stamps (not Flak Abt stamps West-front lol),
could you tell me what information is wrong?, as far as iam aware the information is correct, admittedly the Soldbuch
is not 100% and some of the things can be put right but the translation and info has been put in the right places ??
OK read on

Inside front cover is good but get rid of the 1/SS....stamp. Infact bin it completely as being in the SBG, you are in the 3rd KP not the 1st KP
pg1
Blood group O or A not that 1/SS stamp..........
Dienstadgrad in 1942 would be SS Mann
PG2
Dates are 1941 when the LAH was an inf rgt, hence the 3/SS.... stamp will be along after June 1942

PG 3
The entries dont match whats wroitten. That page is for recording changes made to pg 1 or 2, like rank

Pg12 looks OK but that fuckin 3/SS....... stamp is back again

PG13 issued with a sword or serial numbered Bayonet? nope

The round stamps you use, throw them all away and get a propper LAH stamp or the 3rd KP feldpost stamp which was used often 29707D is the FP number till May 1941 then it went to 29707E
Piccys were added to paybooks around 1943, so if your new to the SBG, start off with a soldbuch dated about Dec 1943 or early 1944 to make your unblinged and unranked piccy look period correct.

Hows that for starters?
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Cheers Gurowski
Although the bloodgroup is there on the first page, perhaps you can't see it as it is stamped in red and faint in the
small pic, page 13 was a re-issue declaration of a bayonet after it had been lost in Cuneo/Italy 1943, this i had copied
from a source but it was another item that was lost, i changed it to bayonet.

As i say i did not know the info about the stampings, i thought the the LAH stamp i had was an early one,
the other stamp is a Waffen Command stamp as i couldn't source any other type of LAH stamp these were all i could
find, but thanks for the advice, i will try again, after i find some decent ink stamps.

Thanks, Peiper
Last edited by Peiper on Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Peiper wrote:

You see - You try - and Loz laughs in your face.

In Barnsley we have a saying - You can't stop a pig grunting cos you can't educate pork.

It's not an insult to anyone about pigs or being a pig. It's our version of "You can take a horse to water but you can't make it drink"

Again I try - but again you totally fail to see the folly. No doubt you will have a glib answer for this too - Save it please - I have no further interest. I give up - and I estimate you will not be with SBG for long - If indeed you ever got to an event. No doubt it will be their fault too :roll:
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Hoffman Grink wrote:
Peiper wrote:

You see - You try - and Loz laughs in your face.

In Barnsley we have a saying - You can't stop a pig grunting cos you can't educate pork.

It's not an insult to anyone about pigs or being a pig. It's our version of "You can take a horse to water but you can't make it drink"

Again I try - but again you totally fail to see the folly. No doubt you will have a glib answer for this too - Save it please - I have no further interest. I give up - and I estimate you will not be with SBG for long - If indeed you ever got to an event. No doubt it will be their fault too :roll:

Eh.... :?:

It was a joke Hoff, i didn't want to get into a lengthy debate tbh, i publicly appologise if any offence was taken Paul as this was
not the intention only as a humourous response as we sometimes have on here.

Sincerely, Peiper
gurowski

Post by gurowski »

As i say i did not know the info about the stampings, i thought the the LAH stamp i had was an early one,
the other stamp is a Waffen Command stamp as i couldn't source any other type of LAH stamp these were all i could
find, but thanks for the advice, i will try again, after i find some decent ink stamps.

You wont find any, I had to have all my LAH unit stamps specially made for me to suit the 3rd KP of the LAH

Return to “Paperwork”