Feldpost

for information on soldbuchs,stamps,money,passes etc.

Moderator: Feldjager

Konzert-Meister

Feldpost

Post by Konzert-Meister »

Evening,

I am curious as to what was written on the feldpost envelope being sent from front to home and vice versa.

Not a purpose 'issue' envelope. Plain envelope with letter inside, with two Junkers 52 airmail stamps (and two inside for post May 1943 according to the Der Erste Zug website). What would I, the frontline Landser now write on the envelope to send it?

Also what ink stamp would be put on and what's the whole field post number thing about?

Cheers,
Nathan
peiper1944

Re: Feldpost

Post by peiper1944 »

I think Feldjager is the chap to ask about stuff like that, feldpost numbers vary
from unit to unit so it depends on where the said letter is going, what unit etc

Good luck Pipes
Staff-Sgt, British Airborne Pathfinders Unit (Ex SBG)

ww2airbornegroup.webs.com
Konzert-Meister

Done some research by looking at some originals around the web and come up with a format for letters both ways. Excuse the terrible drawings, they are just to check out the format. I still have to research the feldpost number and ink stamps. (does anyone know Division Grossdeutschlands feldpost numbers?)

A location/date ink stamp goes over the paper stamps in the corner, I assume this would be put on after the soldier sends it off so would only be in place on arrival home? Would one of these location/date ink stamps be applied on the letter going too the front and would also be in place on arrival?

If the Feldpost number is written on the envelope, would another eagle/feldpost nr ink stamp also be applied on the journey to the front?

Cheers,
Nathan
Attachments
Snapshot_20131107_2.JPG
Snapshot_20131107_2.JPG (31.13 KiB) Viewed 7355 times
Snapshot_20131107_5.JPG
Snapshot_20131107_5.JPG (28.79 KiB) Viewed 7355 times
peiper1944

Post by peiper1944 »

Walther is probably the guy to ask about "Grossdeutchland" feldpost numbers,
i have a pile of these letters which can still be brought cheaply on Ebay
unfortunately they are not with me but in storage but will dig some out later
if you wish, here's a pic from a WW2 site for the moment to compare.

As far as iam aware the soldier sending the letter didn't use postage stamps
only used by civilians for mail going outwards
Feld post.jpg
Feld post.jpg (36.97 KiB) Viewed 7337 times

Konzert-Meister

The Der Erste Zug articles are usually a very good source of information. Mentions several times the number of stamps issued per month and sending one/two (pre/post May 1943 for the Junkers air mail stamp) with the letter so you could receive a reply.

Also mentions how the green (20th October 1944 parcel stamp) was given to soldiers in Kurland pocket and cut in half in replacement of an air mail stamp. (I assume one half inside for a reply airmail letter)

http://www.dererstezug.com/Feldpost.htm

Below is what appears to be examples of airmail both ways. (one pre May 1943) using the Junkers stamp.
Attachments
Ger_TR_Feld_CV1.jpg
Ger_TR_Feld_CV1.jpg (65.86 KiB) Viewed 7336 times
$T2eC16d,!)0FI,CiuMZQBSd8B9rbb!~~60_57.jpg
$T2eC16d,!)0FI,CiuMZQBSd8B9rbb!~~60_57.jpg (197.07 KiB) Viewed 7336 times
peiper1944

Post by peiper1944 »

Yes these stamps haven't got any value printed on them because they were issued
to the troops but ref books i have read they didn't need to apply them to letters because
feldpost was still sent home free.

The letters sent from home with these stamps you will find soldiers sent the stamps home
so their reletives could use them, the rest of the time you will see letters sent to the front
with paid postage stamps with a value on them, obviously these civillians were unlucky not
to recieve the free issued stamp usually sent home.

Most of the feldpost letters you will see being sent home haven't got any stamps, the
same as the ones i have in my collection, these are the ones you will find being sent
from soldiers on active duty.

Konzert-Meister

What reference books detail them not being used? It's clear that many have both stamps and no stamps. Just look at this lot on ebay, no paper stamps at all. The stamps were issued for a reason, so the idea behind the numbers issued per month according to the DEZ website were to use two on each letter, twice a month, with two enclosed per letter for the return. I think it correct to use paper stamps on mail both ways.

If the mail from the front was free, the Landser could use all 8 enclosed for 8 replies from home. I think it's one of those things that would vary where and at what point in the war, as to whether you were issued stamps, used stamps on the mail or only enclosed them for a reply.

Can someone confirm the layout of the letters:

How the address was written in 1940's Germany. Name, Street, Number, District or City?

Also how the reply was written, Rank, Name and Feldpost number?

Cheers,
Nathan
Attachments
$T2eC16ZHJH8FHQt7-n7cBSdThdPbC!~~60_57 (1024x691) (640x432).jpg
$T2eC16ZHJH8FHQt7-n7cBSdThdPbC!~~60_57 (1024x691) (640x432).jpg (201.46 KiB) Viewed 7330 times
peiper1944

Post by peiper1944 »

As you can see from your pic mate not all letters had stamps attatched, as i said in
my previous post you will find these were sent home ie: back to Germany without the
postage stamp ok bud, stamps without a value were issued to the "landser" but as far
as i can remember this was phased out, it mentions this in the "Deutche Soldaten" book
but not having the book to hand, but as i say do as you like mate, i wasn't arguing with
you i was just trying to help ;-)

Return to “Paperwork”