Normandy Visit

Places you have visited,recommend etc.
mm1977

Normandy Visit

Post by mm1977 »

Hi

I'm planning a trip over to Normandy, Caen etc with a few friends this Summer and was wondering if anyone can recommend any books, maps, Museums, shops etc. I've not been there since the late 1980's and was considering going on a organised trip but have decided to do it myself.

Thanks

MM1977
Stigroadie

Re: Normandy Visit

Post by Stigroadie »

The Pen and Sword series 'Battleground Europe' series is handy.
Sutton Publishings 'Battle Zone Normandy' are excellent guides to the region with the history, modern maps and all the help you might need. They include walks and drives that will help you find the famous spots.
IGN series Bleu are 1:25,000 scale maps that are excellent for pinpointing exact details.
One tip, if you go to Arromanche, leave your car in the town car parking and should you wish to visit the Cinema Circulair, walk up the cliff. They charge a fortune in the cliff top car park. Last time I was there in 2009 there was free parking in town.
André

Post by André »

"Top-ten" visit places (not in order):

Pointe Du Hoc
Carentan
St. Mere Eglise
Sainte-Marie-du-Mont (though you're not getting the place which is famous from Brécourt Manor's assault. It's private area. Believe me, I tried :))
Dead man's corner (very good museum, I recommend)
Utah Beach
Omaha Beach
Allied soldiers' cemetry (next to Omaha beach)
La Cambe German cemetry
and the whole bocage-countryside of course
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

André wrote:Sainte-Marie-du-Mont (though you're not getting the place which is famous from Brécourt Manor's assault. It's private area.
There is a marker/monument now by the side of the road/field that shows you where it went on.
I think you might want to include some of the British/Canadian beaches too.
Bayeux, Caen and that little bridge all have good museums, the battery at Merville has a wicked little son et lumiere type thing. Arromanche is also a good day out, the Canadian museum behind Juno and the control bunker at Ouistreham can fill your time fruitfully.
If you have the time and transport get down to Falaise, another good WW2 museum and Williams castle. You can go sideways and see the last crossing points in the 'gap'. I was shocked when I saw the small size of the roads/tracks that the troops escaped down.
mm1977

Post by mm1977 »

Thanks for the advice. I've found the "Battle Zone Normandy" books on Amazon at a reasonable price. I'm going to get the Caen, Falaise Pocket, Road to Falaise, Operation Epsom and Villers Bocage. We're all very interested in the Normandy campaign and in particular the 12th SS HJ Division.

We're planning to have 5 full days there so hope thats enough time.

Cheers
MM1977
Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

For a travel guide and route finder with suggested tours to take in the maximum this one is hard to beat.

It comes with an easy to follow map which makes finding your way easy.
The Battle Zone series is really excellent but be sure them to match it to a good map , Holt's guide provides suggested routes / tours to make best use of time , opportunity whilst making sebse of the landing zone / battlefield.
Having used it I would recommend it 100%.
Attachments
Save0001.JPG
Save0001.JPG (244.24 KiB) Viewed 6981 times
Sean

Post by Sean »

You beat me too it! I used Major and Mrs Holts guide to Ieper and the Somme salients last Nov and they are an absoloute must have!
'Gott Mitt Uns' - Yeah mate, got mittens too

Return to “Places of interest.”