la cambe / Wittmann's Grave 2010.

Places you have visited,recommend etc.
Tychsen

la cambe / Wittmann's Grave 2010.

Post by Tychsen »

Wittmann's grave as seen on Saturday 5th June.
The photo and flowers were left by some gents from Eagle & Battle Group who had visited earlier in the day.

I am inclined to think that Wittmann's memory does overshadow that of the youngsters he shares a grave with - the bare patch of earth in front of the headstones does single this grave out from the others in la cambe.
Wittmann will promote and hold interest for a long time to come and I know any time I visit la cambe I like many others will walk over to the grave of Wittmann and his crew.

We met these gents at the book fair at Tilly the next day - pretty decent lads and later that evening at Port en Bessin.
Attachments
DSCF6405.JPG
DSCF6405.JPG (87.75 KiB) Viewed 9775 times
DSCF6403.JPG
DSCF6403.JPG (129.62 KiB) Viewed 9775 times
DSCF6406.JPG
DSCF6406.JPG (171.81 KiB) Viewed 9775 times
Last edited by Tychsen on Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tychsen

Re: la cambe / Wittmann's Grave 2010.

Post by Tychsen »

Three more , the last from the path way leading to the mount - Wittmann and his crew are on the right side approximately half way up.
Attachments
DSCF6435.JPG
DSCF6435.JPG (121.48 KiB) Viewed 9773 times
DSCF6407.JPG
DSCF6407.JPG (163.59 KiB) Viewed 9773 times
DSCF6404.JPG
DSCF6404.JPG (100.75 KiB) Viewed 9773 times
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

Last time I was there I placed flowers on a grave of a Unknown German soldier
ImageImageImageImageImage
barnaclebill

Post by barnaclebill »

Thanks for posting the pictures.

Franz, I can understand you doing that.
Matt, 85th Gebirgsjager, part of the '39-45 Society'.
Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

Franz R.
Last time I was there I placed flowers on a grave of a Unknown German soldier
And there are so many of them Franz , although a peaceful and none threatening place la cambe holds many unknowns and a huge amount of youngsters - a terrible legacy.
Karl-heinz Henschel

Post by Karl-heinz Henschel »

I went there in 2008 with my family, it was cold and very wet, there are lots of un-marked graves, and lots of youngsters that were only about a year older than my son was then.

its a complete opposite to the us cemetry.
Scheisse passiert wenn man nackt feiert

les hearn

Post by les hearn »

seems there is some unfreindly person about
i was there on the 7th and the flowers are not there in my pics... :roll:

thea fact of the matter is this ..
he was one of germanys highest decorated soldiers
but after speeking to one of the german army reservists tasked with keeping the graves clear this year ...he noted ..in his words ..."no one knows witman in germany"
this i find sad ..
if it was not for the peeps in england there would be no flowers

after all he was a soldier
he did his duty just as our lads did
but the people in germany dont know about him...again sad
i will post the pic i have soon
95th nacht..attached 85th gebirgsjeager

have enigma ,will travel.
Mooyman

Post by Mooyman »

Interesting to see.

Thanks for posting. :)

He was one hell of a soldier indeed. 8)

The best repro is an original...
Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

Removing flowers from a grave is a big "no no" , no time for anyone who would do this. :evil:
erikbozwo2

Post by erikbozwo2 »

I don't understand why you should lay flowers at that particular grave. I understand that a bunch of guys think Wittman is "Tha man" whilst there are over 300 unmarked graves in La Cambe. This year I've again seen pictures at his grave, and 3rd reich memorabilia. The sad thing is, Wittman is the only one ( amongst about 30 other graves ) wich has flowers on it. Shouldn't we not care for ALL of the fallen, in stead of 1 "hero"?

There is so much then just that one that meets the eye. There are still unmarked(in a field without gravestones or a sign!) graves in Normandy, naming one in a field near Tilly Sur Seulles. There 250-500 men of the 12th SS are still buried, some KIA some murdered by the resistance. I went there and put down some flowers. Not because they were German, not because they where "The awesome SS" but because they where people. I go down to Normandy every single year to lay flowers on the graves in the Canadian sector.

I guess the flowers are removed because the German government don't want the "focus" on the grave of Wittman, wich is something that is going on for some years now. Everyone goes to see his grave, and sort of "forgets" about the rest and flowers piling up on Wittman's grave.

Just my 2 cents
CDB taking it way too serious!
Mooyman

Post by Mooyman »

erikbozwo2 wrote:I don't understand why you should lay flowers at that particular grave. I understand that a bunch of guys think Wittman is "Tha man" whilst there are over 300 unmarked graves in La Cambe. This year I've again seen pictures at his grave, and 3rd reich memorabilia. The sad thing is, Wittman is the only one ( amongst about 30 other graves ) wich has flowers on it. Shouldn't we not care for ALL of the fallen, in stead of 1 "hero"?

There is so much then just that one that meets the eye. There are still unmarked(in a field without gravestones or a sign!) graves in Normandy, naming one in a field near Tilly Sur Seulles. There 250-500 men of the 12th SS are still buried, some KIA some murdered by the resistance. I went there and put down some flowers. Not because they were German, not because they where "The awesome SS" but because they where people. I go down to Normandy every single year to lay flowers on the graves in the Canadian sector.

I guess the flowers are removed because the German government don't want the "focus" on the grave of Wittman, wich is something that is going on for some years now. Everyone goes to see his grave, and sort of "forgets" about the rest and flowers piling up on Wittman's grave.

Just my 2 cents
I understand why you saying that.
These are my thoughts too.
But Wittman has a certain status,because of proven skills i don't have to explain wich ones 8)
That's why people want to see his grave.
I think that the cemetry removes all flowers after one day,nothing to do with Wittman just rules

The best repro is an original...
barryG

Post by barryG »

I went in 2010 and never even looked for his grave, too many young men buried there who deserve the respect too.

Return to “Places of interest.”