What to see in Harz region of Germany

Places you have visited,recommend etc.
barryG

What to see in Harz region of Germany

Post by barryG »

I know about the V2 rocket production site and camp at Dora, but is there anything else of interest WW2 in the Harz region of Germany?
Hoffman Grink

Re: What to see in Harz region of Germany

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Where you going?
There is Goslar if you are into Medieval Architecture and superb narrow cobbled streets. Obviously you mentioned Nordhausen (It's where the Schnappes comes from too) IF you are hiring a car then drive to Dresden if only to say you've been.
Just be careful in the Harzwald/Sachsen-Anhalt area - there are lots of NPD types and Naziism is a big agenda.
Aaaanyway - Werningerode is nice and the Castle (Schloss) is worth a visit. If you go there allow yourself time for a ride on The Brocken which is a crazy railway - I'll leave you to discover that for yourself. There are also the mines up there.... Schubergwerk I think they are called.
Whereabouts are you going? Are you flying in or driving to it? I nearly bought a place in Altenau in 2007.....
barryG

Post by barryG »

Going in July, on our trusty Piaggio 400 scooter :wink: Looking as though much accomodation is booked where we wanted to stay, but have found a couple of places further west in the sollingvolger national park there and it aint far from the Harz.

Have already been to Dresden a few years ago, weve done a lot of driving and riding in Germany. Weve come accross plenty of anti NPD demos over the years but never actually seen any NPD yet!
Marlene Weissfeld

Post by Marlene Weissfeld »

the harz is very pretty.
if you go onto the brocken
--- beware---
it was called in the past Blocksberg......lot of witches out there....
every 1 of mai all witches have a big come
together there

The Brocken has always played a role in legends and has been connected with witches and devils; Johann Wolfgang von Goethe took up the legends in his play Faust. The Brocken spectre is a common phenomenon on this misty mountain, where a climber's shadow cast upon fog creates eerie optical effects.

:wink:
barryG

Post by barryG »

Thanks for the tip, the Brocken sounds like my kind of place :wink:
barryG

Post by barryG »

PD, you were right as Goslar and Wernigerode are lovely. We did the Brocken trip, awesome day out. Also visited Wewelsburg and stumbled accross a steam railway event where we got to ride in a 1925 carriage behind a 1923 tank engine on the main line.... only saw the one Neo, in Goslar and as I was taking a picture of the golden eagle/chicken in the aquare he gave a Nazi salute then waved! Weird, as I didnt have my FG uniform on :lol:

Return to “Places of interest.”