Help needed

Places you have visited,recommend etc.
dink

Help needed

Post by dink »

No doubt competely in the wrong section (so can you move it rather than delete it mrs mod lady ;) )

I saw onlilne somewhere a few weeks ago, information about children under 15 being able to travel free with parents in Germany, but it also mentioned somewhere and I've lost the link about a selection of hotels that also offer this "discount" in selected hotels . My eldest wants to do some travelling next year starting with the weekend of his birthday (Jan), it would be just the two of us (me + 11 year old) and as I only want one room I begrudge paying a full adult supliment for a short stop. Anyways, I've found the info on rail travel, but can't find any definitive link for the hotels which offer this service.

Yes I'm a cheapskate :oops: but considering theres a few places he wants to go to next year spread out and to give him quality time with moi before he really hits the horrible teens, any advice would be welcome.

Note I'm not sure about Youth hostelling with him :oops: hence looking for these family friendly hotels.
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Ich Googled... "under, 15, travel, in, Germany"
und http://www.germany-tourism.de/ENG/infoc ... s_9590.htm
war erste!
Children stay free at hotels
More than 300 hotels all over Germany are part of the "Children under 15 free" scheme in which starred hotels and Deutsche Bahn AG have come together to promote child-friendliness in Germany. Hotel accommodation is free for 1 or 2 children when sharing their parents' room and there are some great family travel packages available. There are also lots of fabulous leisure tips for family holidays and travel in Germany and detailed information about free travel for children under 15 on German trains.
und
Regional travel
Regional tickets (Ländertickets) are available for up to 5 people or parents or grandparents travelling with any number of their own children or grandchildren under 15. They are valid for 2nd class travel on any one day and can be used on local and regional DB trains (InterRegioExpress, RegionalExpress, regional RB trains and S-Bahn suburban trains) and also on participating local transport services. Regional tickets are valid from 9am, and from midnight on Saturdays and Sundays. Some regional tickets are ideal for those enjoying a good night out and are valid from 7pm until 6am the following morning. Regional tickets are valid throughout one federal state and some let you cross into neighbouring federal states as well.
Click the link - there is more good info on there - Hope this is what you are looking for.

Mit Besten
PD
dink

Post by dink »

Yes 8) looks promising :lol: I've found a booking kind of thing that has "new deal" next to some of the reservation options, so I'm emailing a few places under the assumption, £50 for a room (thats what it says anyways) where he can share my bed is far better than £50 for me and a suppliment for him to do the same ;) . Can't be anyworse than sharing a small tent with him :lol:

Thanks, I was working my way through the rail network site to no avail
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Two things
1 Do you want this moving to Places of Interest? Mainly cos it's about travel and that seems to be the place.... and you might get more traffic.

2 Are you talking long weekends (leave Friday, Come back Monday)? Cos travelling Fri- Mon is usually more expensive than midweek..... Hows about booking well in advance but using half terms etc.?

Where are you fancying? Cos when Lyndypops and I took a train from Berlin to Bill & Beate's it took the day to do the journey...... and is flying in and out an option? We can be loads of help as many of us have found ways of "nipping in" to Germany...... Around Bill and Beate's area is a good start. Especially if you want battlefields etc. Where you are you could use the overnight ferry from Hull and take the car.... a car is a HUGE asset as it gives you so much independence when choosing where to go and what to see...... Next time we go over I think that's our method. Yeah - flying's quick but having your own motor is way better.
dink

Post by dink »

Yes can be moved, just didn't want it deleting :oops:

As for when, he has 5 days that he can take authorised absense during term time we can use, though his birthday falls on the Saturday next year. Started looking into it couple of weeks ago then things got very hectic, now time to refocus on this and don't want to leave it too late in getting it sorted.

Transportation :? haven't decided, not sure if I'm brave enough to attempt driving on the wrong side of the road (yes I know its not wrong to them) no I have cover for it on the car but haven't used it, not to mention theres the whole thing if the car fluffs up and your stuck miles away from civilisation etc. Have considered flying in just for ease, nothing set in stone yet.

Primarily its not a trip for me :( he wants to go to the zoo (Panda thing) so, first instinct to me was to fly to Berlin and well I've just started looking at it properly logistically :wink:
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

ZOO! BERLIN! KNUT! (Polar Bear)

Excellent first outing for the young traveller!!!!

Fly!!!!!!

Berlin is big enough to spent loads of time in and there is enough "stuff" to keep you both enthralled... Do a four dayer.... means you get two clear days in the City.

Zoo is absolutely a must especially for an 11year old. Get there for it opening because it's mahoosive and he will run around...... like a kid!!!! :lol: So will you - The way they display the animals is brilliant - We went this year cos Lyndypops wanted to see the Eisbaar!

Then do maybe the Pergamon Museum and the Cathedral...... Or squeeze in a boat trip.

Just walking around can be amazing - Those of us who know Berling find it relatively easy but once you get your bearings it's great. The Brandenberg Gate.... along to the Siegessäule and past the Soviet Memorial right down to Unter Den Linden gives an idea of the sheer scale fo this City.....

Try here... http://www.aviewoncities.com/berlin/ber ... ctions.htm

AWWWWW! You're making me realise how much I miss the city!!!! :roll:
dink

Post by dink »

Well I've looked at flights can get us both inc all insurances and returns from liverpool for under £90, one hotel has got back to me and confirmed its £45 euros per night for the room for us both (ie no suppliment) so certainly looking very do-able 8)

I knew there was a bear of some description there :oops: I'm not up on animals :oops: apparently I'm informed they also have an Egyptian museum there ?? gawd knows where he found that out :? but he wouldn't mind going there too :?: :lol:
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

dink wrote:Well I've looked at flights can get us both inc all insurances and returns from liverpool for under £90, one hotel has got back to me and confirmed its £45 euros per night for the room for us both (ie no suppliment) so certainly looking very do-able 8)

I knew there was a bear of some description there :oops: I'm not up on animals :oops: apparently I'm informed they also have an Egyptian museum there ?? gawd knows where he found that out :? but he wouldn't mind going there too :?: :lol:
The "Egyptian Museum" is listed by Beate a but also the Pergamon - Not all Egyptian by any means but a must see...... If only for the wartime vandalism using Machine Guns by Soviet troops.....
It's HUGE and rivals the British Museum easily.

Return to “Places of interest.”