falaise pocket

Places you have visited,recommend etc.
greendevil

falaise pocket

Post by greendevil »

Hi All,
I got to visit the Falaise Pocket,what a fanstastic experience,visited the 1st Polish Armd. war memorial at Mt Ormel,which also has a museum,which is on hill 262,from this point on a clear day you can see the whole battle field.aworesome!!!!.
Went on to see the mossiey crossing point,this is a small hamlet, just off the Chambois road.
The whole area was called the "valley of death".
It felt strange walking up the track which lead to the crossing at mossiey ford,considering 60 year ago it was full of death and carnage.
This part of Normmandy is a must see.
cheers Ross.
FJR6 The Green Devils Of Carentan.
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

There is also a museum near Falaise, up a windy little trak. It's a bit chaotic but there is tons of good kit and vehicles.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi Ross it wasn't till I saw this that the full extent of what happened at the Mossiey crossing sunk in. Scroll down a bit to get arial pictures of the area of the crossing...

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?p=463274
carentan

Post by carentan »

We had a look around in the river banks, pulled out a load of tracer and a Halftrack track pin (I think). If you stand and look along the lane you can almost imagine the weary faces waiting to cross, it's so narrow what a bottleneck.
Hanging up my Knochensack for now, it's been a good war!
Zundappuk

Post by Zundappuk »

Carentan,

We went over at the end of September to help a good friend with his new workshop build. Whilst there we visited the ford on the Dives at Moissey, very atmospheric on such a glorious early Autumn day.

The ford

The lane

David
bee

Post by bee »

i was in falaise a year ago but unfortunately i was with people who i could only interest in william the conqueror and they got sick of visitng wwii places after a while... so i dint make it there... bugger! how come there are people NOT interested? ah well jedem das seine. i guess.
bee.
--
the greatest pet i had was a flat rat.
Riedmuller

Post by Riedmuller »

my perents own a house there and i have never really been round the areas of interest at all :( only visited mortain and did a bit of metal detecting at the farmhouse and found some amis bullets and a German bayo frog
Hopefully when i get my licence i will drive over there and have a proper look round
murf

Post by murf »

bee wrote:i was in falaise a year ago but unfortunately i was with people who i could only interest in william the conqueror and they got sick of visitng wwii places after a while... so i dint make it there... bugger! how come there are people NOT interested? ah well jedem das seine. i guess.
i never cease to be amazed that there are people not interested by WW2.
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Yeah - a lot of them are German for some strange reason!

In a bar in Aachen - I once got to talking with the owner. "Why aren't you lot interested in WWI? How come you don't like answering questions about it? Why don't you talk much about the War?" All good questions
(especially after the amount we'd drank)

"Ach"... he waves his hand at me and drops his head..... Then he slowly lifts his head up and wags an index finger in my direction..... "Because, Paul, my friend...... because....... Because we LOST! - Now if we had WON........ you would never hear the facking end of it!!!!!" then he pushed another ice cold glass full of Korn at me....... I like Germans! Who says they have no sense of humour?

Return to “Places of interest.”