Colditz Castle

Places you have visited,recommend etc.
Gren.Johannes

Colditz Castle

Post by Gren.Johannes »

Hello There ,
Some years ago i visited Schloss Colditz about 20km from Leipzig , The first thing that struck me was , that it was in the middle of a small town .
I had always imagined it being in the countryside (from tv shows and movies) . You can still visit the castle but the museum has odd operating times , Once you are inside the main courtyard its instantly recognisable from such shows as Colditz (anyone remember this show with Robert Wagner)
and The Colditz Story . AWESOME.
They must have really researched the castle fot the movie as it would have been behind the Iron Curtain in the late 50's mid 60's .
In my opinion escaping this place and getting a home run , would have been almost superhuman .
Alas no photo's as they are all analogue and in the UK , but the castle has a great website just google it. If you are planning a trip to Germany make time to check it out , also i recommend Schloss Wartburg not far away either .
The Kyffhauser and the sleeping King Barbarossa and of course Leipzig and Tauha which has a V1 factory (unfortunately in ruins) but interesting to see ,
I was taken there by a local .
Avoid the film Colditz with Daniel Day Lewis as its quite sucky .
Cheers
John

Return to “Places of interest.”