Baugnez 44 , Malmedy .

Places you have visited,recommend etc.
Gren.Johannes

Baugnez 44 , Malmedy .

Post by Gren.Johannes »

Hello there
Went to a super museum today , Baugnez 44 Historical Centre .
A museum totally dedicated to Wacht am Rheine/Battle of the Bulge , for a very reasonable 7.50 Euros , Theres just about every item of kit , personal stuff and weapons of Axis and Allies .
You get a Dog tag as your entry card and a hand held dictation machine which tells you of every exhibit in the museum , there are two floors of exhibits including a cinema , Kettenkrad , Motorrahd , Schwimmwagen and smaller halftrack .
There are also several 'surprise ' exhibits , that when you open doors to entry you are greeted by MG fire and bombs , and another plunges you into the Malmedy massacre complete with snow and gusts of cold air and wind .
Very atmospheric .
For a newbie like me , very interesting and i learned just a bit more .
Also on display was a life bust of Joachim Peiper (he looked a hard bastard)
and a hood which he wore at his trial , so he could'nt signal to other men.
The yanks did the same to the Lincoln conspiritors in 1865 (see i do know history , but not much about ww2) although their hoods were padded so they could'nt 'Dash their brains out' .
Oh how i wish i had taken my uniform , to wear in the forests just out of town , as there was plenty of snow about ,it gave a idea of what it might have been like on the day .
Very nearby is the Malmedy Massacre monument , again worth a visit .
I thoroughly reccomend this Museum .
THE DOWN SIDES .
The museum gift shop is grossly overpriced , i know they have to charge a little extra to help survive .........but 160.00 euros for a repro falshirmjager
helmet , 36.00 euros for a not very good wooden potato masher grenade .
The Cafe again grossly overpriced .

Check out http://WWW.baugnez44.be
cheers
John
von bock

Re: Baugnez 44 , Malmedy .

Post by von bock »

Hey John sounds good did you get any pictures at all??
SS KAMPFGRUPPE KNITTEL gustav.knittel@btinternet.com
"never argue with an idiot !!they just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
http://ww2reenactingireland.co.uk/

Return to “Places of interest.”