Prague , the Church of St Cyrils and Methodious.

Places you have visited,recommend etc.
Tychsen

Prague , the Church of St Cyrils and Methodious.

Post by Tychsen »

The church in which the men who killed Heydrich were hiding when they were betrayed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct2ccULT ... re=related
Same view at the time of the seige of the Church.
The steps down which the SS attempted to storm the crypt.
Another looking towards the steps , a stone was blown away to expose the steps and after several bloody attempts to storm the crypt the SS resolved to end it a different way.
The openning through which the SS ordered the Prague fire brigade to flood the crypt , the hole in the wall was made by the anthropoids who attempted to break into the sewers to escape.
Karel Curda who betrayed them attempted to make his ex comrades surrender - they shot themselves rather than give up
The Prague police under German orders flood the crypt.
The memorial to the men killed in the Church and the Crypt.
Another view of the memorial.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5d37SlYo ... re=related
Heydrich's car.
Where he was killed.
Last edited by Tychsen on Mon May 26, 2008 3:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Shergar

Re: Prague , the Church of St Cyrils and Methodious.

Post by Shergar »

excellent photos james , i was there two years ago with some friends but neglected to get photographs , next time camera / action
John Wilson

Post by John Wilson »

They are indeed good photos, there are some in the world however who may question this remark,

The openning through which the SS ordered the Prague fire brigade to flood the crypt , the hole in the wall was made by the anthropoids who attempted to break into the sewers to escape.
94-87 Ich bedauere nichts
57-93 Either put me in jail or kill me
Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

John on what grounds might some question the remarks quoted ?
To me of all of Hitler's "inner circle" Heydrich is by far the most interesting , he had many qualities which can be admired, he was an intelligent , physically brave , a gifted sportsman and cultured individual - balance this against his life time achievements and it is really Jekyll and Hyde.
Shergar
excellent photos james , i was there two years ago with some friends but neglected to get photographs , next time camera / action
Mairtin , I stayed just five minutes walk from the Church near the "Dancing House" , that ugly modern art statement at the botom of the street opposite the bridge.
Would like to go back there again for a long weekend to see some places I missed - Prague castle being one of them.
John Wilson

Post by John Wilson »

anthropoids.
94-87 Ich bedauere nichts
57-93 Either put me in jail or kill me
Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

Ah , I see - the operation to kill Heydrich was called "Anthropoid" , no reflection on the men themselves.

Return to “Places of interest.”