The Belgian Army Museum in Brussels.

Places you have visited,recommend etc.
Tychsen

The Belgian Army Museum in Brussels.

Post by Tychsen »

I visited this museum about two years ago with a friend who lives in Antwerp.
Peter is a leading Euopean optical collector ( who answers many questions for me) , he also has cataloged their entire optial collection which took him well over a year to do.
Included in their stores are many very rare items and what you se is only a fraction of what the Museum houses.

Unfortunately I cannot post photos at the moment thanks to some uncooperative USB ports - hope to have this cured in the next week or so.

The BMM openned some new galleries last last telling of belgiums part in WW2 - a huge range of weapons , uniforms , vehicles being used to make the displays come alive.
The Museum whilst it tells the history of the Belgian Army naturally has a lot of WW1 and WW2 items , ranging from guns , uniforms , tanks ( Allied , Axis , Russian , WW1 , WW2 , post war , cold war modren)), kubels, trucks , 88mm's , flak guns it is really some collection.

One region is given over to aircraft and it is quite a treat for the eyes , Spitfires , fairy battles , Blenheim, Ju-52 , ME-109 , helicopter gun ships - WW1 aircraft - modern jets - it is quite something.
The napoleonic wars are naturally well covered as one would expect and when I was there , a huge display of pre revolutionay items from Russia were on display - on loan from Moscow and St.Petersburg.
Have you ever seen a rack with 20 MP-40's on it and a line of MG-42's that seemed to go on for ever - I have !

If you are in Brussels don't miss it out - allow 2-3 hours depending on what you want to take in - you could easily kill an afternoon here.

And out on the coast near Ostende - a battery complex which should be seen - again when I have the ability to post photos I will add a few.
Recce 1

Re: The Belgian Army Museum in Brussels.

Post by Recce 1 »

I visited this Museum about three years ago and I would agree it is one of the best in the World.

Far better than looking at the pissing boy in Brussels.

Return to “Places of interest.”