Question about how a Japanese Bayonet is supposed to fit?

Moderator: Tanaka

Freebooter

Question about how a Japanese Bayonet is supposed to fit?

Post by Freebooter »

Hello all,
I have an early war Arisaka Type 99 Short Rifle (Turiimatsu factory of Nagoya Arsenal, Series 3). I ordered me a Japanese bayonet from IMA. It is a nice one with the curled guard, etc.. Anyway, but when I fix it on my rifle, it is sort of loose and wobbly or shake and rattles. Is it supposed to fit that loosely? A buddy said that perhaps it was made in the early 30s or something for a Type 38 and perhaps they had thinner barrels and lugs, thus the loose fit. Is that true, did the earlier types have thinner barrels because of the smaller calibre and could a bayonet made back when those rifles were being used fit too loosely on a later Type 99 with the larger caliber and possible thicker barrel? Just curious. Mine has the Nagoya symbal with an empty triangle next to it on one side of the blade.

If that is true, then how do you know when a bayonet was made or for which rifle it was made, the T38 or the T99?
Thanks,
Freebooter
Alabama
One Shot, One Kill!
Freebooter

Re: Question about how a Japanese Bayonet is supposed to fit?

Post by Freebooter »

Hello all,
I found out my answer. On another forum I was told that the Japanese bayonets were designed to fit all issue rifles no matter the caliber or type and that some fit snugly and some loosely.
FB
One Shot, One Kill!

Return to “Japanese Weapons and Equipment”