ESCAPING THE ALLIES

Share info on real historical units

Moderator: SchnellMeyer

Villy Vassel

ESCAPING THE ALLIES

Post by Villy Vassel »

I was reading about JOACHIM PEIPER,recently, and cannot understand, why so many SS men gave themselves up to the Allies ,did they not know that they would be put on trial ,most of these men were battle hardened Soldiers could they not have escaped or went to ground in the mayhem at the end of the war .not wanting to be to political, I will not add anything more at the moment . VILLY
Franz repper

Re: ESCAPING THE ALLIES

Post by Franz repper »

Surrender to the Allies you stand a better chance of living than surrendering to the Reds ,as for going to ground some did then were grassed up by family friends or others .
ImageImageImageImageImage
Villy Vassel

Post by Villy Vassel »

Franz repper wrote:Surrender to the Allies you stand a better chance of living than surrendering to the Reds ,as for going to ground some did then were grassed up by family friends or others .
Thanks Franz for your reply VILLY
KB Martinsen

Post by KB Martinsen »

I've heard that many SS men attempted to pass themselves off as ordinary Wehrmacht soldiers on giving themselves up, but were given away by their blood group tattoos.
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

KB Martinsen wrote:I've heard that many SS men attempted to pass themselves off as ordinary Wehrmacht soldiers on giving themselves up, but were given away by their blood group tattoos.
Yes this did happen as it states it in Black Edelweiss I think many feared that they would be held responsable for the camps
ImageImageImageImageImage
West-Front

Post by West-Front »

A soldier from 13. Waffen-Gebirgs-Division der SS Handschar spoke of how he removed his tattoo:

Later, in the prisoner-of-war camp at Tamsweg, I met Sturmbannführer Liecke from our division. He brought us to a physician from the 14th SS Division, who provided us with hydrogen tablets to remove our blood type tattoos. We moistened these tablets and dabbed them on our arms. This was extremely irritating to the skin, but the tattoos simply came off after two to three days. Naturally the skin required about two to three weeks to heal. Because of these tablets, I was successful in passing two inspections conducted by our captors. (1)

"Himmler's Bosnian Division: The Waffen-SS Handschar Division 1943-1945" by George Lepre, page 310.
http://www.axishistory.com/index.php?id=2030
John Wilson

Post by John Wilson »

It's an interesting question, but to put it simply, the reason they surrendered was because the war had finished.
The witch hunt after however and the debacle at Nuremburg is a totally different thing.
94-87 Ich bedauere nichts
57-93 Either put me in jail or kill me
Villy Vassel

Post by Villy Vassel »

John Wilson wrote:It's an interesting question, but to put it simply, the reason they surrendered was because the war had finished.
The witch hunt after however and the debacle at Nuremburg is a totally different thing.
Iam glad you mentioned Nuremberg ,my own view is that it was a kangaroo court and a show trial,as Goring pointed out the Victor over the vanquished, there was of course terrible attrocitys,but the Russians and Stalin made the GERMANS,look like a side show with there acts of barbarity, and of course they were never put on trial .
Sean

Post by Sean »

A kangaroo court in what respect?
'Gott Mitt Uns' - Yeah mate, got mittens too
Villy Vassel

Post by Villy Vassel »

[quote="Sean"]A kangaroo court in what respect?[/quot Perhaps kangaroo is not the correct term,but at the time and even today many top legal people have doubts about the whole thing ,considering what THE Russians had done to the Polish officers IN THE FOREST ,the name of the exact massacre escape's me for the moment , IAM not saying that no one should have been prosecuted,it was perhaps they way it was done ,off topic ,the USA were never put on trial for almost wiping out the native Americans .any way if this subject is to controversial I WILL leave the site. VILLY GUTEN NACHT and GOOD BYE
Sean

Post by Sean »

The Katyn Massacre Villy, to be fair it is a subject I'm not familier with so my views expressed are very limited.

My personal opinion? Well we cannot change what happened, nor justfiy any Allied war crimes. I guess you could say the victors write the history books, but I am sure the Nazi's would have done just the same if they had the oppertunity.
Villy Vassel

Post by Villy Vassel »

Sean wrote:The Katyn Massacre Villy, to be fair it is a subject I'm not familier with so my views expressed are very limited.

My personal opinion? Well we cannot change what happened, nor justfiy any Allied war crimes. I guess you could say the victors write the history books, but I am sure the Nazi's would have done just the same if they had the oppertunity.
THANKS for the reply,yes I agree that the victors write the history books ,and it would have been interesting if the Germans had won or the war had ended in stalemate ,but as they say thats history, off topic .were you at Kelmarsh this year,and what group are you with .VILLY
Hans Gowert

Post by Hans Gowert »

one of the main deals for the japs to surrender was that they would not be tried for war crimes i believe,

its funny wondering that, what if the germans got the same deal, would the world new what they did and would there be more hatred towards the germans because there would be no one taking responsibility ?
Sean

Post by Sean »

Villy Vassel wrote:
Sean wrote:The Katyn Massacre Villy, to be fair it is a subject I'm not familier with so my views expressed are very limited.

THANKS for the reply,yes I agree that the victors write the history books ,and it would have been interesting if the Germans had won or the war had ended in stalemate ,but as they say thats history, off topic .were you at Kelmarsh this year,and what group are you with .VILLY
Hi Villy, I wasnt there this year and I'm with KSK
Tanaka

Post by Tanaka »

Hans Gowert wrote:one of the main deals for the japs to surrender was that they would not be tried for war crimes i believe,
Not really true, only that the Emperor wouldn't be tried for War Crimes. Tokyo had there own War crimes trial after which 7 men were excecuted including the only Axis leader to be hanged by the Allies, Hideki Tojo
16 men were sentanced to Life Imprisonment.

There were other trials right across the pacific which led to the Controversial excecutions of several Japanese Generals who had been proved in there trials to have done there best to prevent any war crimes
JRA site http://www.japanesereenacting.co.uk/

New Japanese reenactors forum

http://s13.invisionfree.com/IJA_Reenacting/

''i think the phrase ryhmes with clucking bell''

Return to “Units - history and information”