General organisational structure question

Share info on real historical units

Moderator: SchnellMeyer

Steiner

General organisational structure question

Post by Steiner »

Can anyone tell me the general structure of Heer units, specifically what percentage would be NCOs, officers, etc?
"Stop that!!! Careful with my J-J!"
Steiner

Re: General organisational structure question

Post by Steiner »

Finally, a partial answer to my own question! From "Victory Was Beyond Their Grasp", Füsilier Kompanie 272 (in 1944) had 3 officers, 28 NCOs and 169 other ranks - which is approximately one NCO for every 7 men.
Last edited by Steiner on Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steiner

Post by Steiner »

It was organised thus:
A company HQ, two bicycle-mounted MP platons of 35 men, equipped with MP44s, one 35-man bicycle-mounted rifle platoon, a heavy weapons platoon, an infantry howitzer section, and company trains.
Three officers: the company commander was intended to be a Hauptmann, the other two Ober/Leutnants.

The 1st MP platoon was led by a Leutnant who had 34 other ranks, including 3 NCOs. The 2nd MP platoon was identical, except it was led by a Feldwebel. Each of these platoons consisted of three Gruppen of nine men each, eight armed with MP44s, and one with a scoped G43. In addition, each platoon had an LMG section (4 men) with one MG42.

The 3rd (rifle) platoon were equipped with 19 K98s, nine MP40s and three MG42s.

The 4th (heavy) platoon consisted of one section armed with 2 tripod-mounted MG42s and two 80mm mortars. It had five NCOs and 34 EM.

Company HQ and trains consisted of the company commander, 18 NCOs and 18 EM, plus four Hiwis.

So in all, the company was authorised 89 x K98, 84 x SMG or Stg, 7 x LMG, 2 x HMG, 2 x 80mm mortars, 2 x Model 18 infantry howitzers.

A Füsilier Kompanie at this strength could fire 570.3 kg weight of shot per minute, compared with just 135.1 kg of a 1941 Infanterie Kompanie. Shortages of MP44s however, resulted in many Volksgrenadiers in 272nd VGD being issued with MP40s or K98s intead. According to a veteran's view though, Füsilier Kompanie 272 received the authorised quantities of this weapon.
rednas

Post by rednas »

Check this link, it shows the KSTN's (OOB's) of all kinds of German units:
http://www.wwiidaybyday.com/kstn/kstnmain.htm

Return to “Units - history and information”