Free Indian Legion

Share info on real historical units

Moderator: SchnellMeyer

SpainshSS

Free Indian Legion

Post by SpainshSS »

Is there any Re-enactment group anywhere that dose a Free Indian Legion impression? I have been thinking of adding this impression. I am doing a Spainsh SS impression, but I can only do Eastern Front events. I would also like to do Western front events as well. However I am very limited in what impression I can do because of my dark skin, hair and eyes. I know that some Spainards fought with the 17th Luftwaffen field division but they were members of the 17th Artillery Regiment. I want to do Infantry So thats why I want to do a free indian impression.
Dose anyone have any info on them? Type of uniform they had and so on, anything will help. Thank you.
Attachments
imagesCA8R7JAO.jpg
imagesCA8R7JAO.jpg (2.21 KiB) Viewed 4821 times
Prinz Eugen

Re: Free Indian Legion

Post by Prinz Eugen »

Try the usual 'quick look and get the gist' sites....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indische_L ... d.html...a pic there gives an idea of what they may have worn.

The uniform issued to the Free India Legion were the standard German Army uniform of feldgrau in winter and Khaki in Summer. Additionally, the troops wore on their right upper arm a specially designed arm badge in the shape of the shield with three horizontal stripes of the saffron, white and green - the colours of the flag of Azad Hind- and featuring a leaping tiger on the white middle band. The legend Freies Indien inscribed in black featured on a white background above the tricolor. A saffron, white and green transfer was also worn on the left side of their helmets. Sikhs in the Legion were permitted to wear a turban, of a color appropriate to their uniform as dictated by their religion instead of the usual peaked field cap.

Later when this unit was transferred to the SS , they received SS uniforms. with webbing belts being worn, including the M43 cap.

Badge for the Free Indian Legion can be bought from....Epic Militaria
Top quality printed volunteer shields for the Freies Indien / Free Indian Legion, as per the original.Product Code: SKU573B

Hope this helps a bit.
'Ersten rein, letzten raus! Ich bin keine graue Maus!'

Return to “Units - history and information”