Battalion 500

Share info on real historical units

Moderator: SchnellMeyer

Der Spiess
Location: Don't know but that blokes got a balaclava and an AK47!

Re: Battalion 500

Post by Der Spiess »

The photo of the chap with the cuff title is the interesting one. The SS Fallchy cuff title was thought to be a myth. Nice one "SchnellMeyer".
Toodle pip
Der Spiess
Belfast or Bust
SchnellMeyer

Post by SchnellMeyer »

Hi Paul , as you can see the SS Fallschirmjager cuff title was worn and issued as can be seen in my photo . I have some more SS Bt 500 photos which I will post up very soon.

Kampfgruppe Sud:Irelands Largest German military vehicle and
re-enactment group
John Wilson

Post by John Wilson »

It is an interesting picture with the cuff title, no tie, strange position for a cross, and what's the badge on the buttonhole?
94-87 Ich bedauere nichts
57-93 Either put me in jail or kill me
Crazy Feldgendarme

Post by Crazy Feldgendarme »

Wondefull, wonderfull photo,s Justin and a myth put to rest and proven wrong.

Cheers
Dave
May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day and may their arms be too short to scratch.

GeFoPo
SchnellMeyer

Post by SchnellMeyer »

Hi Dave , thanks for your nice words .Well after over 20 years in this hobby it is always a added bonus to get something right and prove the nockers wrong.
John , the badge in the button hole is a SS membership pin with the runes .This seems to be holding the EK2 in place for the photo .
Here are some more photos for you to enjoy .Two of the photos are signed by SS-Ustuf Hermann Wabersich , note his tank destruction badges. The other photo is Fritz Leifheit .

re-enactment group
John Wilson

Post by John Wilson »

Cheers SM, I was meaning the badge obscuring the button on the pocket flap? I can make out a vague iron cross shape but not much else :?
94-87 Ich bedauere nichts
57-93 Either put me in jail or kill me
SchnellMeyer

Post by SchnellMeyer »

Hi John , not quite sure what the badge is but I will try and find out in due course . He is another rare photo for you a LAH NCO with the para badge been worn.
Attachments
IMG_0006.jpg
IMG_0006.jpg (35.14 KiB) Viewed 11207 times

re-enactment group
Cassius

Post by Cassius »

Whoever said: "While the SS was a criminal organization dedicated to mass murder, Parachute Battalion 500 began as a pack of criminal’s criminals. Unable to find enough volunteers among regular SS formations, the battalion made up its numbers from SS prisons: members of the SS who had been convicted and imprisoned for military offenses or other crimes. "
Is absolutely incorrect.
I have a well researched text on the 500th and 600th Waffen SS
Parachute Battalion. They, and the Waffen SS, were nothing like what is written above. They were simply hard soldiers which cannot be understood by even unbiased Americans.

In any event, the SS Parachute Battalion served with valor on several fronts and was not only involved in Operation Knights Move.

Researcher
SchnellMeyer

Post by SchnellMeyer »

Well said Cassius , great to see somebody who knows his stuff on the 500/600 Bn .These brave men deserve to be remembered for the right reasons. Also welcome to the forum.

re-enactment group
Cassius

Post by Cassius »

Thank You Schnell Meyer,

I have read Grenadier many times. Panzer Meyer was a man who understood daring assaults of the type advocated by General Steiner. His attacks with his Motorcycle Battalion are most instructive and I wish I could find more about his military operations.

I know some things, but I want to know so much more in the areas of my interest.

That is why the facts presented here along with insightful comments, are appealing and very interesting.

I enjoy reading the contributions.

If I contribute a short document in German, can anyone on this forum translate it rapidly? I mean without inconvenience of course.

Thanks,

Cassius
Salacious Crumb

Post by Salacious Crumb »

SchnellMeyer wrote:Hi John , not quite sure what the badge is but I will try and find out in due course . He is another rare photo for you a LAH NCO with the para badge been worn.
This has noting to do with SS-Fj Btl.600, becouse it is former Luftwaffe Fallschirmjäger SS-Uscha. Mendel who transfered to the LSSAH and was a Grenadier in 7./SS-Pz.Gren.Rgt.1
Picture was taken in July 1944.
Member of
http://maa204.blogspot.com/
Kriegsmarine re-enactment group
Salacious Crumb

Cassius wrote:Whoever said: "While the SS was a criminal organization dedicated to mass murder, Parachute Battalion 500 began as a pack of criminal’s criminals. Unable to find enough volunteers among regular SS formations, the battalion made up its numbers from SS prisons: members of the SS who had been convicted and imprisoned for military offenses or other crimes. "
Is absolutely incorrect.
I have a well researched text on the 500th and 600th Waffen SS
Parachute Battalion. They, and the Waffen SS, were nothing like what is written above. They were simply hard soldiers which cannot be understood by even unbiased Americans.

In any event, the SS Parachute Battalion served with valor on several fronts and was not only involved in Operation Knights Move.

Researcher
I think someone mixed up the SS-Fallschirmjäger with the men of Otto Dirlewanger. Total BS off course.
Member of
Salacious Crumb

SchnellMeyer wrote:Here are some more SS-FJ pics from my collection .Note the FJ jump badge , enjoy.
The mistery badge is the German-Finnish Northern front Badge 1941/1943.
Member of
SchnellMeyer

Post by SchnellMeyer »

Nice posts Salacious Crumb , just to clarify a point I never said that the LAH NCO was from the SS-FJ Bn500/600 .I just wanted to point out a para badge been worn by a member of the L.A.H. The same photo also appears in Patrick Agte's book on Peiper . After recovering from been wounded Mendel transfered to the LAH , where he served until the end of the war .
Thank you for pointing out the strange badge on the SS-FJ on his wedding uniform , very rare indeed .Have tons more material on the SS-FJ guys .

re-enactment group
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

Salacious Crumb wrote:The mistery badge is the German-Finnish Northern front Badge 1941/1943.
Good sir yes it looks like the said award this is a Finnish award and its wearing was forbidden in November 1944after Finland broke off relations with Germany
ImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Units - history and information”