SS Polizei Gebirgsjager Regiment 18

Share info on real historical units

Moderator: SchnellMeyer

Crazy Feldgendarme

SS Polizei Gebirgsjager Regiment 18

Post by Crazy Feldgendarme »

Police units being my special interest i thought i would post information about this one for you Franz mate.

SS-Polizei-Gebirgsjäger-Regiment 18 was formed on May 23 1942 1942 in Garmisch-Partenkirchen (Bavaria) from 302. Polizei-Gebirgsjäger-Bataillon (Munich), 312. Polizei-Gebirgsjäger-Bataillon (Innsbruck) and 325. Polizei-Gebirgsjäger-Bataillon. Of the 38 Polizei Regiments, the 18th was the only one to bear the designation Gebirgsjäger. Pictures of their vehicles show an eidelweiss (symbol of German mountain troops) on the right front fender. In recognition of their mountain troop status, members of SS-Polizei-Gebirgsjäger-Regiment-18 were the only Police regiment allowed to wear an edelweiss badge on their lower left sleeve. In February 1943 all Polizei-Regimenter had "SS" prefixed to their titles resulting in the name SS-Polizei-Regiment.

It was sent to Slovenia to fight the partisans. It was sent to Finland in December 1942 and was stationed at Oulo in January 1943 where it was attached to XVIII. Gebirgs-Armeekorps. It fought in Finland until July when it was sent to Danzig.

It was transfered to Greece in August 1943 where it took part in anti-partisan operations until the Germans withdrew from Greece and later through Yugoslavia.

Order of battle

I/SS-Polizei-Gebirgsjäger-Regiment 18

II/SS-Polizei-Gebirgsjäger-Regiment 18

III/SS-Polizei-Gebirgsjäger-Regiment 18

Kavallerie Abteilung

Nachrichten Kompanie

Gebirgs-Artillerie-Abteilung

1. Artillerie-Batterie

2. Artillerie-Batterie

3. Artillerie-Batterie

Commanders
Oberst der Schutzpolizei Hermann Franz (? May 1942 - ? Aug 1943)
Oberstleutnant der Schutzpolizei Hans Hösl (? Sep 1943 - 2 Oct 1944)
Major der Schutzpolizei Otto Mann (2 Oct 1944 - 10 Oct 1944)
Major der Schutzpolizei Johan Poys (11 Oct 1944 - 8 May 1945)

Battalion
May 1942 - September 1943: Oberstleutnant Hösl
September 1943 - October 2nd 44: Major der Polizei Mann
October - November 1944: Hauptmann der Polizei Reischl
November - December 1944: Oberstleutnant der Polizei Staudacher
December 1944 - April 1945: Hauptmann der Polizei Musall
April - May 1945: Major der Polizei Fotter

II Battalion
May 1942 - December 1943: Major der Polizei Zuehlke
December 1943 - May 1944: Major der Polizei Poys
June 1944 - September 1944: Hauptmann der Polizei Rosenschon
September 1944 - October 1944: Major der Polizei Poys
October 1944 - March 1945: Hauptmann der Polizei Eickelbaum
March - May 1945: Hauptmann der Polizei Rosenschon

III Battalion
May - September 1942: Oberstleutnant der Polizei Dietz (who was later killed during the Battle of Budapest)
September 1942 - September 1944: Hauptmann der Polizei Spann
September - October 1944: Hauptmann der Polizei Malten (KIA Oct 13 1944)
October - November 1944: Hauptmann der Polizei Lachauer
November 1944 - May 1945: Hauptmann der Polizei Heber (shot in a Yugoslav POW camp shortly after the war)
May 5-8 1945: Major der Polizei Hoffman

note: III Battalion also contained 1 company-sized cavalry squadron, 1 signals company and 1 150mm heavy infantry gun Company

SS-Polizei Gebirgs Artillerie Abteilung:
SS-Sturnbannführer und Major der Gendarmerie Wilhelm Braun
Adjutant: Oberleutnant der Schutzpolizei Michaels (until July 1943) then
Leutnant der Polizei Franz (KIA Belgrade October 16 1944)

Ordnance Officer
Oberleutnant der Schultzpolzei Thum (KIA Belgrade October 12 1944)

Staff Artillery Battery
Hauptmann der Schutzpolizei Kasselmann (KIA Belgrade October 16 1944)

1. Artillery Battery
Hauptmann der Schutzpolizei Urbahn (KIA Belgrade October 16 1944)

2. Artillery Battery
Hauptmann der Schutzpolizei Braeunlic (KIA August 1944)
Oberleutnant der Schutzpolizei Schmidt (KIA Osijek November 1944)

3. Artillery Battery
Hauptmann der Schutzpolizei Mitterhuber

Motorized Artillery Battery
Leutnant der Schutzpolizei Rupprecht (in Peloponnese)
Oberleutnant der Schutzpolizei Popp

Regimental Doctors
Dr. Stift (until December 1943)
Dr. Hofmann (MIA Belgrade October 16 1944)
Dr. Hering (KIA Belgrade October 16 1944)
Dr. Reiser (until October 30, 1944)
Dr. Ranftl

Each Polizei-Bataillon consisted of about 1200 men within 4 companies of 300 men. The regiment also contained a mountain artillery battalion of one staff battery and three 75mm artillery batteries.

More as and when i get time, I will try to scan some photos in when i can.

Dave
May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day and may their arms be too short to scratch.

GeFoPo
SchnellMeyer

Re: SS Polizei Gebirgsjager Regiment 18

Post by SchnellMeyer »

Well done Crazy Feldgendarme , that was a super post and well researched. I never researched much about these guys but I did meet some vets from the SS-Polizei Division .Look forward to reading more of your post .

Kampfgruppe Sud:Irelands Largest German military vehicle and
re-enactment group
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

My good and dear Dave that was top class stuff looking forward to the photos
ImageImageImageImageImage
Crazy Feldgendarme

Thanks Franz, Schnellmeyer good to know about some of the more obscure units i think.
Any way here is a brief history of the Regiments service/locations.

For the rest of 1942 the regiment operated in the region of Slovenia in Yugoslavia against the Slovenian partisans. In July it was in the Upper Krajina region and in August it operated in the localities of Blegos, Pokljuca, Jelovica, the Steiner Alps, and Tucheinartal. At the beginning of September it moved through Jelovica, Herzogswald and St. Valentin (by Moerautsch). In October it moved through Leermos-Ehrwald, Hammersbach, Greinau and Kreuzeck before reforming and replenishing the rest of the month.
On December 1-3rd, the regiment was sent by rail to Danzig, West Prussia. By December 25th-27th I Batallion arrived at Hanko, Finland. On December 30th, it was located at Oulu. The II Battalion followed on December 28-30th to Hanko, arriving in Oulu on January 1st, 1943. The III Battalion arrived at Hanko between December 31st, 1942 and January 2nd, 1943 and made it to Oulu on January 3rd. By June 1943, it was subordinate to the XX Gebirgsarmee under General Dietl and formed part of the German XVIII Gebirgsjägerkorps, with the right flank of the German 7th Gebirgsjäger Division and the left flank the 6th SS-Division "Nord" of the Waffen-SS. The regiment fought in north-central Finland until July 10th, when it returned to Oulu in preparation for withdrawal from Finland. By July 25th, 1943 the unit was embarking and on the 31st they reached Danzig.

By August 2nd, 1943 the regiment was on its way to Greece. By August 18th I and II Battalions were located in Amfissa. The III Battalion was operating with elements of the German elite "Brandenberg" Division and then with the 11th Luftwaffe Field Division. In the beginning of November 1943 the regiment's I Battalion moved to Corinth at the mouth of the Peloponnese and by November 10th the battalions were located as follows:

1) I in Nemea
2) II in Kopais
3) III in Zykladen
In December 1943 the battalions were located in Skurta, Thebes and Zykladen respectively.

The regiment served in numerous areas of Greece such as Kopais, Levadia, Helicon district, Karutia, Athens, Amfissa, Marathon, Karditsa, Euboea, Molo, and Topolia. Between June 6-21st 1944 the regiment's II and III Battalions, plus the regiment's mountain artillery battalion (minus one battery which remained with I Battalion back in Athens) took part in "Operation Viper" in the Taygetos Mountains.

Between July 5th and August 25th the II and III Battalions served in the Parnon Hills by Amfissa and in an operation entitled "Kreuzotter". The I Battalion operated in the Saloniki Mountains. In August the I and III Battalions were stationed at Karutia while II was at Carpenisio.

In September 1944 the Germans began their withdrawal from Greece. During the march to Belgrade through the Topola region, an ambush sees only 1 officer and 11 men survive from III Batallion. By October 11th the I and II Battalions were located in Belgrade, Serbia (Yugoslavia). With vastly superior forces, from September 29th to October 22nd 1944 the Red Army launched fierce attacks in its efforts to liberate the Yugoslave capital. The German forces in the city to include SS-Polizei-Gebirgsjäger-Regiment-18 put up a valiant but futile defense suffering heavy losses and by October 20th, Belgrade was free of German forces. On October 23rd what was left of the regiment met at Irig.

The regiment's subsequent positions followed the general retreat of the German Armed Forces in the Balkans:
December 1944 - February 1945: Basenova, Mandelos, Kuzmin, Osijek
February 15 - March 30: Valpovo, Noskovski
April 1 - 26: Vasla, Varazdin
April 27 - May 5: Koprivnica
May 8: Ludbreg/Jabzabet
May 9: Treun-Pragerhof

In April and May 1945, the decimated regiment served as rear guarde for General Pannwitz's XV Cossack Cavalry Corps (which consisted of mostly Russians) during the bitter defensive fighting against the Soviets.

During the 3 years that it was in existence, SS-Polizei-Gebirgsjäger-Regiment-18 fought in the most brutal kind of warfare and suffered horrendous losses. Of the initial complement of 4800 men it had a causualty rate of 65% or a total of 3080 killed, wounded or missing. The remainder surrendered to the Soviets on the Austro-Yugoslave border.

Armed combat formations of the German Police such as SS-Polizei-Gebirgsjäger-Regiment-18 and some units of the Waffen-SS were mainly used in anti-partisan warfare. Partisans in WW2 usually consisted of civilians as well as members of a defeated army who took up arms against the Germans. Because of their limited training and lack of heavy weapons, this mostly took the form of armed "hit and run" ambush tactics and sabotage which usually consisted of blowing up bridges, trains, rail lines and rail stations. They would strike swiftly and then disappear into the forests and mountains usually without a trace. They were known not to take prisoners since they had no facilities to hold them and revenge was their primary motivation. Many of them were wanted men who had lost family and/or friends at the hands of the Germans.
The Germans did not recognize the legality of civilians taking up arms against them because they did not consider them to be part of a defeated nation's armed forces. This is a philosophy that continues to be upheld by most, if not all, nations to this day. Many German units suffered terrible losses in men and material at the hands of partisans. And in most cases, the enemy struck fiercely and swiftly often disappearing just as quickly, causing frustration on the part of the German troops in not being able to fight back. They would then have to track the partisans down in the often hostile forests and mountains. Harsh treatment was therefore handed out to captured partisans and anyone known to harbour or provide assistance to them in any way in an effort to discourage partisan activity. When a partisan was captured he (and in many situations members of his family or local townspeople) was usually executed shortly after extracting information from him. To quote The German Police: "While the Waffen-SS was more and more diluted by forcibly conscipted youths, "racial" Germans and other "foreigners", the SS-Police units remained to a much larger extent homogeneous. Many of them were among the most nazified, fanatical and brutal German field units. Their participation in "punitive" actions made them the terror of Norway, Poland, Yugoslavia, Greece, Czechoslovakia and Italy."

Photos and any more information as and when i get time and find them.

Dave
:D
Last edited by Crazy Feldgendarme on Mon May 26, 2008 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day and may their arms be too short to scratch.

GeFoPo
Crazy Feldgendarme

Heres the first few photos lads, not very good i am afraid poor camera to start with and then scanned makes for a fuzzy picture.

The first two photos were taken at Garmsch (Wehkreis IV) in early summer 1942 and are of Polizei Battalion 325 who would become the 3rd Battalion of Polizei Gebirgsjager Regiment 18.
It was during this reorganisation the they received there mountain training.

The Officer in this photo giving the Nazi salute is Generalmajor der Polizei Ernst Hitzegrad the BdO of Wehrkreis IV from Febuary 1942 till August 1943

The Officer on the far right is Oberst der Polizei Hermann Franz Commander of the regiment, The other Officers are Major der Polizei Alfred Dietz Commander of 325th (3rd battalion of the Regiment and the Adjutant.

As can be seen here the Battalion underwent extensive ski training.

A photo of the muster of the battalion at the local aerodrome, here they were joined by the other Battalions before shipping out

In this photo the Battalion Commander leads his unit from there barracks and through the town.

More to follow as i get time.

GeFoPo
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

1st class good sir is found this most intresting
Crazy Feldgendarme

A few more pictures here.

The formation of this unit attracted interest from the top of the forces and party to see the first action, this photo was taken in Oberkrain (Upper Carnolia) in the summer of 1942.

from left to right SS and Police General Lothar Debs (with glasses), Kurt Daluege (back to camera) and Oberst der Polizei Hermann Franz the regiment commander (looking at Daluege)

Men of Police regiment 18 just before an operation.

The senior officer here is SS and Police General Erwin Rosener Commander of the 18th SS Military District and was taken between july and September 1942 in Oberkrain (Upper Carnolia). the light armoured car is a Tatra T-72.

A pre war Austrian Steyr ADGZ Armoured car used during the operation.

Police NCO next to A Steyr ADGZ about fifty were used by German Armoured Police units during the war, behind are Opel Blitz trucks.
An unusual point is the one piece uniform fully badged up.

Another Steyr in support of the Regiment who would appear to be about to move out on operations.

When i get time the next ones will be of the unit on operations.

Dave

GeFoPo
Crazy Feldgendarme

Another six to peruse.

A Battalion commander directs his line companies during the anti partisan operation in Upper Carnolia in summer 1942

the Regiment was supported by armoured support during the operation

Looks like rain

Oberst der Polizei Hermann Franz first commander of the Regiment

A rare picture of Artillery from the Regiment 7.5 Cm Gebirgkanone

An 81 MM Morar from the heavy weapons company

GeFoPo
Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

Crazy GJ., enjoyed that very much - Thank you.
Crazy Feldgendarme

Thanks mate there is another 12 photos to come yet will post them as and when i can.

Dave

GeFoPo
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

ABSK (A Big Sloppy Kiss ) to you dave First class work
SchnellMeyer

Post by SchnellMeyer »

I agree fully with Franz , super work and a pleasure to be able to see this material .Well done again CF , and thanks for sharing this material with us.

re-enactment group
Crazy Feldgendarme

Another six pictures from the set. 8)

This picture taken Sept 27th 1944 showing the Artillerie Abteilung during the fighting for Serbia.

MG34 fire being directed at the enemy.

The unit has just found an enemy camp.

Dave

GeFoPo
SchnellMeyer

Post by SchnellMeyer »

Dave , full marks to you .The photos you posted are super and most I have not seen before . Nice to see that material like this still exists.

re-enactment group
Crazy Feldgendarme

Ta mate there are a few more when i get time, but with the season in full swing just dont seem to find that commodity nowadays.

:)

GeFoPo

Return to “Units - history and information”