3rd SS Totenkopf

Share info on real historical units

Moderator: SchnellMeyer

RudyWerner

3rd SS Totenkopf

Post by RudyWerner »

Perhaps one of the more contravercial waffen-ss units, due its somewhat murky origins in the pre-war concentration camp system, the 3rd SS division was nevertheless a much feared and respected unit, and one of the most successful German units of the second world war.

Commanded initially by the brutal Theodore Eicke until his death in action in February 1943, the unit was composed of a mix of pre-war Totenkopf personel (mainly the first three Standarte of the division) along with personel from the SS-VT and the Allgemeine SS. The unit was distinctive by its adoption of the skull and cross-bones collar tab rather then the usual SS lightening bolts.The same skull and crossbones device was used on the units vehicles. Eicke taught his soldiers to be brutal, swift and brave. This teaching was rewarded with great success, but a very high casualty rate.

The Totenkopf division did not exist as such in the Polish campaign, although some elements were used to help staff Einzatsgruppen behind the front lines, their appauling behaviour causing outrage in the Heer command.
After the Polish campaign, the unit took part in the battle of France, where it is perhaps best remembered for the Le Paradis massacre of nearly 100 British soldiers.
Totenkopf naturally took part in the war against the Soviet Union, and was engaged in battles such as Demjansk, Kharkhov, Kursk and Budapest.
The unit eventually attempted to surrender to the US army at Linz, they however in spite of promising Totenkopf its protection, swiftly handed them over to the Russians. By far the majority of the surviving troops were more of less immediately murdered by their Soviert captors, only a handful returning home long after the end of the war.

Notable Totenkopf personel include Fritz Christen, the first,and youngest enlisted man to receive the Kinights Cross for single-handedly defending a strongpoint from Soviet tanks.

Haupsturmfuhrer Max Seela won his Knights cross as commander of the units Pioneer battalion.

Wilfred Richter won his RK in command of a StuG battery, in actions against T-34s.

Hopefully between us we can flesh this out a little more?
Last edited by RudyWerner on Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SchnellMeyer

Re: 3rd SS Totenkopf

Post by SchnellMeyer »

Well done Rudy , great to see this thread started here . As promised I will post photos next week , am off to France on Saturday .When I get back , I will give this thread some time .
Come on gentlemen , get posting on this topic .

Kampfgruppe Sud:Irelands Largest German military vehicle and
re-enactment group
RudyWerner

Post by RudyWerner »

SchnellMeyer wrote:Well done Rudy , great to see this thread started here . As promised I will post photos next week , am off to France on Saturday .When I get back , I will give this thread some time .
Come on gentlemen , get posting on this topic .
Would you be even more impressed if I said all that was from memory? ;)
Looking forward to your photos, enjoy your trip.
SchnellMeyer

Post by SchnellMeyer »

Hi Rudy , here are some photos from my collection as promised .The first is Johann Fiedler who I met in 1992 , see colour photo . You will also see a parade photo that shows Johann and Joseph Rollecke after receiving their Knight Crosses on the same day .The "TK" Ustuf . is Falkner . Also you can see a signed photo of Joseph which I got from him .I have loads more photos if you guys are interested.
Attachments
IMG...5.jpg
IMG...5.jpg (42.86 KiB) Viewed 13690 times
IMG_0001.jpg
IMG_0001.jpg (40.12 KiB) Viewed 13690 times

re-enactment group
SchnellMeyer

Post by SchnellMeyer »

Here is another rare file and photo for you .In this photo is Rudolf Seitz and August Zingel .Note also a "Field " award document for Zingel's EK , both of these items are also in my photo collection .Enjoy "TK" boys.
Attachments
IMG_0001.1.jpg
IMG_0001.1.jpg (75.24 KiB) Viewed 13678 times

re-enactment group
RudyWerner

Post by RudyWerner »

Thankyou for these great pictures!
SchnellMeyer

Post by SchnellMeyer »

Hi Rudy , you are most welcome and many thanks for your kind comments . If you want more TK photos just let me know as I have more that may interest you .

re-enactment group
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

Why my good and dear SchnellMeyer dont ask just post those pictures
The two regiments in SS nord came from TK I even have photos of the Nord Guys still using there TK coller patchies
Taken From my units web site on the units History
SS Gebirgsjäger Regiment 11 "Reinhard Heydrich"

This regiment was formed and stationded in Prauge as SS-Totenkopf-Standarte 6 but it was transferred to Sanderfjord, southern Norway on the 27th April 1940. On February 25th 1941 it transformed into the SS Infanterie Regiment 6 Mot (Motorized)

The Death's Head collar patches were replaced by SS Runes at the same time
SS Gebirgsjäger Regiment 12 "Michael Gaißmair"

Formed in Brünn, Bohemia-Moravia on the 12th September 1939 as the SS-Totenkopf-Standarte 7. On April the 27 1940 it was sent to Drammen Norway and was re titled the SS-Infanterie Rgt 7 on the 27th February 1941. The unit handed in its "deaths head" collar patches for SS runic ones.
This picture is dated around 1941
Note the First SS trooper
ImageImageImageImageImage
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

As Pioneer are my other vice here are some Pioneer from the Totenkopf who won the Knights cross
SS Oberstrumbannfuehrer MAX SEELA
Born July 15th 1911 in Schoeneiche
Knights cross May 3rd,1942
as SS Hauptsturmfuehrer and commander of the 3rd company of the SS Pioneer Btn 3 Totenkopf Division last post Commander of the SS Panzer Grenadier Regiment 19 9th SS Panzer Division Hohenstaufen
SS Oberfuehrer KARL ULLRICH
Born December 1st 1910 in Saargenmuend / Lorraine
Knights cross Febuary 19th 1942 as Strumbannfuehrer and commander of the SS Pioneer Battalion 3 SS Totenkopf Div (Commander of a Battle group)
Oakleaves: May 14th 1944 (480th soldier to win this)
Oberstrumbannfuehhrer and commander of SS panzer Grenadier Reg 6 Theodor Eicke 3rd SS panzer Div Totenkopf
Last post october Commander of 5th SS Panzer Div Wiking

Cant find a photo of this gent
SS Standartenfuehrer KURT LAUNER
Born september19th,1906 district of Riesa/Saxony
Knights cross August 15th 1943
as SS Strumbannfuehrer and commander of the II battalion SS panzer Regiment 6 Theodor Eicke 3rd SS panzer Div Totenkopf
ImageImageImageImageImage
RudyWerner

Post by RudyWerner »

I still think Seela is the least German looking German of all time...wouldn't like to mess with him anyway!

Keep the info coming guys, its all good stuff. I`d particulalrly like to see more of TK vehicles if anyone has any, especially of the Tiger kompanie at Kursk.
SchnellMeyer

Post by SchnellMeyer »

Hi Rudy , here are some more TK vets that i met over the years .
First is Otto Baum and Karl Ullrich .
Secondly , Otto Timm , Horst Stancki and Fritz Dusel .
Hope you like the photos, more are on the way.
Attachments
IMG_0005.jpg
IMG_0005.jpg (28.06 KiB) Viewed 13568 times
IMG_0002.jpg
IMG_0002.jpg (44.94 KiB) Viewed 13565 times

re-enactment group
SchnellMeyer

Post by SchnellMeyer »

Franz , as you are a big pioneer fan , here are two photos which I hope you will like . The first signed photo is Siegfried Brosow of Das Reich on a bridge in Normandy '44 .And the second photo is Heinz Kopp , note the early collar patch .
Attachments
IMG_0003.jpg
IMG_0003.jpg (53.36 KiB) Viewed 13553 times
IMG_0004.jpg
IMG_0004.jpg (19.82 KiB) Viewed 13545 times

re-enactment group
Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

Siegfried Brosow SS# 353 059.
Ranks
Untersturnfuhrer - April 20th 1940.
Obersturmfuhrer - January 30th 1942.
Hauptsturmfuhrer - June 21st 1943.
Sturmbannfuhrer - January 30th 1945.

Decorations
Iron Cross 2nd Class - June 3rd 1940.
Iron Cross 1st Class - December 5th 1941.
Wound badge in Black - March 27th 1942.
Wound badge in Silver - July 23rd 1943.
Eastern Front Medal - November 3rd 1942.
Close Combat Clasp in Silver
Infantry Assult badge in Silver - march 27th 1943.
Knight's Cross - November 13th 1943.

Above from "German Cross In Gold Holders of the SS and Police Volume 1" By Mark C. Yerger.

Volume 2 of this series is still in print , Volume three has just been released in the middle of last month and Volume 4 will shortly be at the printers.

An excellent reference guide as one would expect from a researcher and writer of Mark Yerger's standard.
SchnellMeyer

Post by SchnellMeyer »

Tychsen , can you also please post some photos as well as text .Most of your information is freely available via books and the internet .Would be good to see some photos from your collection. A good photo is worth a thousand words.

re-enactment group
Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

Justin,
Whilst I do buy books about the SS - I don't collect SS - its as simple as that.
Photographs - I too love to see them , especially ones which have not been published before , as for their speaking a thousand words - some say more than others.
The photo you posted showing the collar patch - excellent.

Books
Don't rubbish good authors - they are hard to come by and as you should well know what they have put into print did not come easy , so a little respect for the likes of Mark Yerger et al. would not go amiss.
(The amount of time spent checking and cross referencing would surprise and perhaps shock you).
As far as quoting from books goes - Franz has quoted a fair amount from reference books in terms of biographical details , without naming his sources - I have named mine and will continue do so.
(From the details posted I think we have much the same titles).
As far as my last post goes - I saw little sense in producing a photo when one of the man had already been posted.
As far as the internet goes the number of decent informative sites on any subject can be counted on the fingers of one hand , call me old fashioned but I don't like to read from a PC screen.
In short I am not a "Google Historian".

Period photos , especially signed photos are extremely rare and hellishly expensive - as a collector if I were into SS it would be these I would be going for or signed documents - as it stands I find Kriegsmarine Zeiss expensive enough !
Each to their own. (Although a degen would be nice.)

Return to “Units - history and information”