2nd-SS Das Reich

Share info on real historical units

Moderator: SchnellMeyer

SchnellMeyer

Re: 2nd-SS Das Reich

Post by SchnellMeyer »

Hi Rudy , ok I will see what I can do for you .Your Kommandent Muller and myself soldiered together in the SBG many years ago . I am so happy to see that at last some body has the balls to do Totenkopf , you are a credit to the hobby and I hope you go from strenght to strenght .If I can help in any way just let me know.

Kampfgruppe Sud:Irelands Largest German military vehicle and
re-enactment group
Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

Justin
Hi Rudy , sadly Richter, Seela and Christian are all dead .I did meet Seela some years ago by pure accident .I was at the home of a Totenkopf vet and Seela happened to call by on the same day .He was a very quite and modest man ,I did get a nice signed photo of him , can post it if you wish . I also met Johann Fiedler and Joseph Rollecke , both these men got their "RK" on the same day .I have a nice photo of them being paraded after the award ceremoney .
James in due course I will post some more "Then & Now" photos .
Thanks , that would be much appreciated.
(Boy you keep late hours , you must be wrecked).
SchnellMeyer

Post by SchnellMeyer »

Hi James , I will put more photos next week when I return from a trip to the South of France( going to see a French Charlemagne veteran ) I will go through my photo albums and pick out some nice "TK" photos.
As for the late hours , that is the joys of owning a good Irish Pub, the fun never stops.

re-enactment group
Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

No worries , enjoy the trip to France and bring back some sunshine.
Some pubs I know have openning hors similar to the "Windmill Theatre" and "Arkwright's Corner shop" ( "We never closed" or "Open all hours") :wink:
RudyWerner

Post by RudyWerner »

SchnellMeyer wrote:Hi Rudy , ok I will see what I can do for you .Your Kommandent Muller and myself soldiered together in the SBG many years ago . I am so happy to see that at last some body has the balls to do Totenkopf , you are a credit to the hobby and I hope you go from strenght to strenght .If I can help in any way just let me know.
Thankyou for your kind words. I think all of us at TK would love to know more about the RKTs of the unit, as well as see any photographs relating to uniform insignia and so on. I really ought to start a seperate thread for the Totenkopf, hmmm?
SchnellMeyer

Post by SchnellMeyer »

Hi Rudy , ok I know that I have "TK" photos , so give me a little time to dig them out for you guys.
I am a Mod on the section "Units-History/Information " ,I would only be too glad to see a Totenkopf thread started here , the ball is in your court old chap .As the saying goes "Build it and they will come "

re-enactment group
RudyWerner

Post by RudyWerner »

SchnellMeyer, if you have a look you will see I have started a Totenkopf thread now, its only bare bones but something to build upon...
SchnellMeyer

Post by SchnellMeyer »

Hi Men , can we please get some more Das Reich posts up here .This topic seems to have stopped for no good reason .

re-enactment group
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Gruss gott lads, seeing the Das Reich thread stopped, as requested ive continued with it. SS Obersturmbannfuhrer Otto Weidinger was an intresting characture, born in Aalen in 1914, he joined the SS Verfugungstruppe in 1934 and graduated the following year from Braunschweig Junkerschule in 35. In 39 Weidinger served in the SS Verfugungsdivision "Deutschland", he then won the EK 2 in Nov 39 during the Polish campaign then won the EK 1 in France in 1940. After serving in the Yugoslavian campaign Weidinger was appointed tactical instructor at the Braunschweig Junkerschule where he had been trained. Weidinger returned to his Division now called the Das Reich and served with distinction as commander of 1 Battalion, "Deutchland" Regiment, Weidinger was then awarded the German Cross in gold in Nov 43 on the Russian front. Promoted to command the 4 SS-Panzer Grenadier Regiment Der Fuhrer, Weidinger was awarded the Knights Cross in April 44, now with the rank of SS Sturmbannfuhrer. The Das Reich were sent to France, late 43/ early 44, the Division served at Falaise gap and Weidinger was awarded the Oakleaves for bravery and leadership during these actions, the award was made on 26 Dec 44. After the Ardennes the Das Reich was refitted and sent to Hungary where it fought a desperate rearguard action through Austria and Czechoslovakia. Weidinger was awarded the swords to his Knights Cross for gallantry during these desperate days, the award was made on 6 May 45. Weidinger ended the war with the rank of SS Obersturmbannfuhrer (Lt-Colonel), along with his Knights Cross, Oakleaves and Swords, Weidinger was awarded the German Cross in Gold, EK1, EK2, Close Combat Clasp (in bronze) and the Infantry Assault badge. Weidinger survived the war and on his retirement he wrote the history of his unit and the book was called Division Das Reich. I hope you enjoy my "thread", by the way Schellmeyer if you are reading you will probably know if this man is still alive or not?. Auf weidersehen for now, Peiper. [quote] "I'll show you where the Iron Crosses grow!" ps: Didn't know you owned a pub Schellmeyer, i bet the decor is intresting.
Last edited by Peiper on Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

Weidinger died on January 10th 1990 , in Aalen.
Mark Yeryer complied a photo biography of him ( Published by Schiffer in 2000) and wrotea very full and detailed biography of Otto Weidinger in his second Volume of his "German Cross in Gold - Holders of the SS and Police" pubished by Rodger J Bender in 2005.
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Servus lads, thanks for that response Tyschen, ive seen that photo of Weidinger many times unfortunately i cannot post any up on here. Anyway continuing with the "Das Reich" thread ive put up some info about another Das Reich Commander, this time SS Hauptsturmfuhrer Fritz Klingenberg (i have a photo but as said earlier i cannot print any up). Klingenberg was the Commander of the 2 Kradschutzbataillon, and recieved his Knights Cross in 1941 during the Jugoslavian Campaign, Klingenberg was killed in action in 1945. The Kradschutzen was in fact the Das Reich's motorcycle infantry which had been incorporated into the reconnaissance groups Panzer Aufklarungs-Abt. More often than not the Kradschutzen often abandoned their motobikes and sidecars and continued their recon trips on foot, their vehicles being used only as a means of rapid transport and the 2 Kradschutzbataillon often saw close combat actions. Hope you find my post intresting and i will try to put up more Das Reich intresting facts later. Auf wiedersehen for now kameraden, regards Peiper. [quote] "I'll show you where the hero sandwiches are made!"
Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

http://triggertimeforum.yuku.com/topic/ ... 3Nv1WGJfjE

Was looking over this thread and thought I would add this link - a very good series of photos which Justin and other members will be aware of , a thread well worth looking at.
I saw this scene some 20 odd years ago and if I make Normandy this year will see if a re visit can be done, the book mentioned in this thread " Breakout" is "a difficult to find book" and the copy I got did cost a little but it does give as clear an account of the circumstances of Tychsen's death as can be had.
Tychsen was most likely near death or dead when the Americans got to him and it is probably unlikely that they would out of hand killed such a high ranking officer and the possible source for the idea that he may have been is explored.

(The author Mark Bando takes it far as can be done on the basis of what is known, beyond this you have what might have been and what "must have been", all that can be said is that Tychsen died at this location either at once or shortly after being shot up, he was certainly not shot at a First Aid Post and I would agree with the author it is unlikely that he was shot (dying) on capture.
Enjoy the photos and thread.
Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

This is a mixture of good and bad news if you have an interest in Das Reich / Christian Tychsen.

Good news Mark bando's book "Breakout at Normandy" has been reprinted, bad news is it is out in French and a planned english version has not as yet been published.

A bilingual version - God I wish I knew for certain...... I ordered one from Amazon and a french language edition arrived.
In the book I found this photo of the scene where Tychsen's Kubelwagen ran into a n American force, this can't have been taken long after the incident..... Mark B told me a planned english edition to be published in the US has for the moment fallen trough but hopefully this will yet take place.
The book itself from Heimdal is really excellent , text French can be worked with but for the moment waiting for a news of or if the bilingual version is out ..... in the meantime - Tychsen's Kubelwagen is here, MB states that the tank on the right shot them up with .5 as the Kubel rounded the corner tychsen was hit in the neck and shoulder , thinking of the rounds which hit him he probably died almost at once.
Attachments
Tychsen 001.JPG
Tychsen 001.JPG (124.32 KiB) Viewed 8732 times

Return to “Units - history and information”