History of Military Barracks in Germany

ww2 and reenacting sites of interest.
West-Front

History of Military Barracks in Germany

Post by West-Front »

http://www.forgottenhistory.co.uk/

The Forgotten History of Military Barracks in Germany.

This website is intended to present the history of many of the military barracks in Germany which were originally built for the Wehrmacht before The Second World War. For a few short years before the defeat of Germany in 1945 these facilities comprised the home Garrisons for the German serviceman. After the British took control of these sites much rumour and myth surrounded their use by the Wehrmacht and many were falsely claimed to be barracks built for the Waffen-SS.

The intention of this project is to present a pictorial history of the various different British Armed Forces barracks in Germany when they were used by the occupants they were originally intended for, the Wehrmacht. It is hoped that some of the unfounded stories and fables can be dismissed and that those who served in these locations can see their former or current homes in a different perspective.
Gren-Schell

Re: History of Military Barracks in Germany

Post by Gren-Schell »

Good link... I found my old barracks in Osnabruck (Roberts). Still the some gates and railings (less the eagle)! :roll:
It's not real... it's called re-enacting!
Steinmetz

Post by Steinmetz »

Gren-Schell wrote:Good link... I found my old barracks in Osnabruck (Roberts). Still the some gates and railings (less the eagle)! :roll:
Small world! So was I ('96'97 - 45 Fd Sp Sqn RE).

Nice site by the way!

Cheers
Geordie
SS-U.f.w. Steinmetz
SBG Mechanics Section - Keeping the Reich rolling since '33!
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

Yes seen my old place spent most of my time going round with a Broom
ImageImageImageImageImage
Recce 1

Post by Recce 1 »

I went to Roberts Barracks 7 or 8 years ago on TA Camp and got arrested by the Modplods for exploring down by the railway line.

Some of the man hole covers were still war-time marked.
Gren-Schell

Post by Gren-Schell »

Steinmetz wrote:
Gren-Schell wrote:Good link... I found my old barracks in Osnabruck (Roberts). Still the some gates and railings (less the eagle)! :roll:
Small world! So was I ('96'97 - 45 Fd Sp Sqn RE).

Nice site by the way!

Cheers
Geordie
'87 '89 - 12 Sqn... a bloody small world. I actually stood stag on that very gate!!!

Craig
Gren-Schell

Post by Gren-Schell »

Recce 1 wrote:I went to Roberts Barracks 7 or 8 years ago on TA Camp and got arrested by the Modplods for exploring down by the railway line.

Some of the man hole covers were still war-time marked.
Did you know that there were garages underground there which were flooded by the Allies because they were full of booby traps. According to some of the REME lads at the time, there are still tanks down there. What a waste!!!
Steinmetz

Post by Steinmetz »

I think that was under the main square. Rumour has it that the only access is via/under the large desert rat slabs that are outside the officers mess (if I remember rightly). I have two original war time photos of marching troops on the square (the one on the right as you went in the gates, not the main). Must scan them!
Do you remember the eagle statue (de-nazified) that was outside the mil police bit? Also, I think the railhead at the back of camp was where a lot of armour left for the eastern front. Quite ironic that that was where we used to load our plant up on the rail flats.

I've got about 18 months left to serve before my 22 is up. Reckon the wife might get anti if I try to get a posting back to the fatherland! (but by god I'd love it!!! - weekends out east with a mine detector!!! :lol: )

Cheers,
Geordie
SS-U.f.w. Steinmetz
SBG Mechanics Section - Keeping the Reich rolling since '33!

Return to “Internet and links”