Last surviving officer from daring World War II Pegasus Brid

ww2 and reenacting sites of interest.
West-Front

Last surviving officer from daring World War II Pegasus Brid

Post by West-Front »

Last surviving officer from daring World War II Pegasus Bridge operation dies aged 85

By Daily Mail Reporter

The last surviving officer to serve in World War II's daring Pegasus Bridge operation which paved the way for the D-Day landings has died aged 85.Colonel David Wood was just 21 when he led a platoon of airborne troopers in helping to secure two key bridges in Normandy, just hours before the Allied beach assault.He was among dozens of troops who drifted silently behind enemy lines in six Horsa gliders in the early hours of June 6 1944 and took just ten minutes to take the bridges.The heroic mission prevented the Germans from sending in reinforcements and enabled Allied forces to continue their advance after taking the beaches.

It has been hailed as 'the single most important ten minutes of the war' and featured prominently in the 1962 Hollywood movie 'The Longest Day'.Colonel Wood was awarded the Legion d'Honneur for his heroic actions - the highest order of the French government. He went on to serve 36 years with the army before his retirement in 1978.

Colonel Wood, who lived with his wife of 25 years Sarah in Cullompton, Devon, died in hospital on March 12 after a long battle with prostate cancer.Yesterday, Captain Peter Hodge, honorary secretary of the Normandy Veterans' Association (NVA), led the tributes.

'He was an absolutely remarkable person,' he said. 'He was a figurehead for the Normandy Veteran's Association and he will be sorely missed.
Colonel Wood was just 21 when he led a platoon in the risky mission'He was one of the nicest men anyone was ever likely to meet and, among veterans, he was household name.'Colonel Wood was commissioned into the Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry, which later became part of the 6th British Airborne Division. He was commander of 20 men in Platoon 24 of the Pegasus Bridge mission - codename Operation Tonga - which was led by Major John Howard.The objective was to seize two bridges - Benouville bridge, known as Pegasus bridge, over the Caen canal and Ranville bridge, now known as Horsa bridge, over the River Orne.German forces had laced the bridges with explosives so they could blow them up in the event of an Allied advance.

Colonel Wood's men were in the second glider to land at Pegasus Bridge at 00.17 hours.Their objective was to clear trenches, machine-gun nests and the anti-tank gun pit along the east bank of Pegasus bridge.He was shot in the leg during the assault and was evacuated to a divisional aid post in Ranville and eventually back to England.

Both bridges were secured by 00.26 hours.

In a previous interview Colonel Wood said they had been blessed with two key strokes of good luck - the German major commanding the bridge was away from his post, reportedly enjoying a romantic liaison with a French woman, and German commander Field Marshall Erwin Rommel of the North Afrika Corps was visiting his wife on her birthday in Germany. Allied troops move across the Pegasus Bridge. Its capture was key to the success of the D-Day landings'By the time the major returned we had captured the bridge,' said Colonel Wood.'The surprise was complete and our losses were smaller than predicted. Two of our men were killed and only 14 wounded, including myself.

'I was shot in the leg and I am constantly reminded of my encounter with an enemy gun. My left leg, where I was wounded, is one and a half inches shorter than the other mainly due to the fractures I suffered.'
Colonel Wood volunteered for the Army at 18 and became an officer cadet. He spent two years training in gliders for the assault on Pegasus Bridge.Exeter was the training ground for his mission because the bridges over the Exe and the Exeter Canal, including the swing bridge at Countess Wear, were identical to those across the River Orne and canal in France.

After the war Colonel Wood went on to serve all over the world with the Green Jackets and then the Royal Green Jackets, including Cyprus, Egypt and the second Suez crisis.His other postings were Northern Ireland, Germany, Malaya and Aden, where he was assistant military secretary.He also spent time at Exeter's Higher Barracks followed by a time as deputy commander of the Rhine area in Germany before retiring in 1978.

Colonel Wood, who was childless, was presented with seven campaign medals during his career and was made an MBE for his services to the military.
Attachments
The bridge can be seen in the background of this 1946 picture. On the right is Capt David Wood with Major John Howard DSO, who led the attack, and Georges Gondree, the owner of Cafe Gondree - now the Pegasus Bridge Cafe
The bridge can be seen in the background of this 1946 picture. On the right is Capt David Wood with Major John Howard DSO, who led the attack, and Georges Gondree, the owner of Cafe Gondree - now the Pegasus Bridge Cafe
article-1162452-00DD3CA11000044C-719_468x431_popup.jpg (86 KiB) Viewed 4147 times
Steinmetz

Re: Last surviving officer from daring World War II Pegasus Brid

Post by Steinmetz »

Isn't Richard Todd still alive? He was on Midsummer Murders last week :?

Geordie
SS-U.f.w. Steinmetz
SBG Mechanics Section - Keeping the Reich rolling since '33!
Pug42

Post by Pug42 »

Not for much longer if he was on that programme! :D
David

Stimme aus dem sumpf...

STURMPANZER ABTEILUNG
ssparatrooper

Post by ssparatrooper »

Richard todd was in the film "the longest day" playing " John Howard" from the 6th air landing brigade "Ox & Bucks light infantry" but he was a real paratrooper on D Day in 7 para, he attacked the merville battery!

so he is a small crow then!

and as far as i know he lives!
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

ssparatrooper wrote:Richard todd was in the film "the longest day" playing " John Howard" from the 6th air landing brigade "Ox & Bucks light infantry" but he was a real paratrooper on D Day in 7 para, he attacked the merville battery!

Yes thats true Jokkie has A story about his time on the bridge
ImageImageImageImageImage
fallingplate

Post by fallingplate »

ssparatrooper wrote:Richard todd was in the film "the longest day" playing " John Howard" from the 6th air landing brigade "Ox & Bucks light infantry" but he was a real paratrooper on D Day in 7 para, he attacked the merville battery!

Richard Todd was the assistant (know as 'acting') adjutant of 7th (light Infantry) Bn The Parachute Regt. and dropped with his Battalion in the early hours of D Day.

7th (Light Infantry) Bn The Parachute Regt were part of the 5th Parachute Bde of 6th Airborne Division, it was commanded by Lt Col Geoffery Pine-Coffin. Their D Day tasking was to defend the Caen Canal and River Orne bridges until link up with seaborne forces landing on Sword Beach (1st Special Service Brigade).

These two bridges were siezed by a 'coup de main' party from 2nd (Ab) Bn Oxf & Bucks LI comprising of a reinforced company (D Coy plus x2 Platoons from B Coy), a platoon of RE, approx 5 RAMC and one officer from 7 Para (acting as a liasion officer). The 'Coup De Main' was lead by Major John Howard, it touched down at 0016hrs (British Double Summer time) within 10 minutes the objective's had been siezed intact, but ALL Platoon Commanders and two Plt Sgts had been wounded. Major Howard and his 'Coup De Main' from 2nd (Ab) Bn Oxf & Bucks LI had to hold the bridges against repeated counter attack until approx 0330hrs when 7 Para relieved them (the 'Coup De Main' then went into reserve).

The Merville Battery assault was carried out (in the main) by 9th (Home Counties) Bn The Parachute Regt, this was part of 3rd Para Bde, 6th Airborne Div and was commanded by Lt Col Terance Otway.

For further reading try:

'Pegasus Bridge' by Stephen Ambrose, about 2nd (Ab) Bn Oxf & Bucks LI
'A Tail of Two Bridges' by Barbara Maddox, about 7 Para
'The Day the Devils Dropped In' by Neil Barber, about 9 Para
116 Pz Div
'Der Windhund'
AFRA
ssparatrooper

Post by ssparatrooper »

Andy

well done for correcting my knowless on the "light infantry" LOL

hows tricks old boy
ssparatrooper

Post by ssparatrooper »

for those of you that dont understand our chatter

Andy was in the LI and i was para regt so "peggie bridge" is an airborne battle honor won by the "light infantry" when they was part of the "airborne division" this has allways been "a point of disagreement" between our two former units

many a time we have "chuckled" about this i remember one time when one of us had a dress on "custom made" too

and it was not me LOL

i just had a thong on!
Steinmetz

Post by Steinmetz »

ssparatrooper wrote:for those of you that dont understand our chatter

Andy was in the LI and i was para regt so "peggie bridge" is an airborne battle honor won by the "light infantry" when they was part of the "airborne division" this has allways been "a point of disagreement" between our two former units

many a time we have "chuckled" about this i remember one time when one of us had a dress on "custom made" too

and it was not me LOL

i just had a thong on!
And don't forget the platoon of Sappers from B coy! :D

Geordie 'oar in' Mason :)
SS-U.f.w. Steinmetz
fallingplate

Post by fallingplate »

Steinmetz wrote:
ssparatrooper wrote:for those of you that dont understand our chatter

and it was not me LOL

i just had a thong on!
And don't forget the platoon of Sappers from B coy! :D

Geordie 'oar in' Mason :)
You will find that the sappers that were attached to the 'coup de main' party came from No 2 Platoon (commanded by Capt Jock Neilson & Lt J Bence), 249th (Ab) Field Company RE.

B Company, 2nd (Ab) Bn Oxf & Bucks LI supplied 14Pl (commanded by Lt Richard Smith) and 17Pl (commanded by Lt Dennis Fox).
116 Pz Div
'Der Windhund'
AFRA
Steinmetz

Post by Steinmetz »

Yeah, thats right. My typo. Should have put attached. Was not the point I was trying to make, though :)
I'm off there in a couple of months.

Geordie
SS-U.f.w. Steinmetz
fallingplate

Post by fallingplate »

What is the point you are trying to make?
116 Pz Div
'Der Windhund'
AFRA
ssparatrooper

Post by ssparatrooper »

you like wearing "tailor made frocks" :lol:

Return to “Internet and links”