Kriegsberichter-Archive

ww2 and reenacting sites of interest.
Vinland

Kriegsberichter-Archive

Post by Vinland »

List:

Would like to take the time to post here a new photo site I've created: http://www.kriegsberichter-archive.com

The photos are from NARA (US National Archives and Records Administration), and the majority of them are unpublished. Some of the photos are in the Charles Trang/Schiffer publication books and various other photos published across the Net or in print form.

I've taken photos from scanned contact sheets and added them to folders, grouped under (where possible), the SS-Kriegsberichter who took them.

Yes, the photos (95% of them) are SS/VT, Waffen-SS photos. But there's everything from DRK, to Heer, Feldgendarmier, Luftwaffe, JU52s, you name it.

Right now the photo count is 3, 551 photos I've put online. The website has been optimized for both 'desktop' and 'mobile' versions and you can switch between languages if you wish as well, for our non-English speaking viewers.

What I'm going to do down the road is tag all of these photos.

The reasoning is so that you can search 'dot44, parka', or 'suomi' or 'Speiss' or 'schreibstube' or 'lateral camo' or 'radio' or 'mg42' etc., when looking up reference photos or to confirm notes or posting elssewhere on the web.

The tagging will take a long time. In the meantime, you can comment (you have to log in to comment, so I can avoid a plethora of 'Russian brides want to meet you' comments on the site.).

I have about 3,000 possible additional photos to add to the site.

I'm hoping this is a valuable resource for some of you, a, to see a large amount of unpublished photos, but a variety of photos of culture, insignia and field gear combintations, training etc.

No more 'hey anyone ever seen a photo of smocks with camouflage rank insignia on them' or 'any photos of dot44 parka sets being worn?'

It should all be there.

Comments, criticisms, welcome.
menju

Re: Kriegsberichter-Archive

Post by menju »

First of all, amazing job!

I will send more feed-back once I have seen more of your web page, but I really like this idea, although I specialize more in direction of Heer Bildberichters (Kriegsberichter des Heeres). Thumbs up!
Kriegsberichter des Heeres Obfw. Markus Moeschke> http://www.moeschke.estranky.sk/

96. Infanterie Division "Watzmann"
97. Jäger Division "Spielhahnjäger"
90. leichte Afrika-Division
Brigade Ramcke
daz67

Post by daz67 »

just had quick flick through, great job and some fantastic photos.
Peterth PK

Post by Peterth PK »

very nice and super job ! have yet gone through 2-3 albums and that photos are just superb...
and also very helpful for my small SS-KB research !!!
so you have some contract or permission with NARA to publicate these photos ?
i´m glad to hear, that this project maybe will continue...
Wort und Bild sind unsere Waffen !
SS-KB Zug "TK" * SS-Stand. Kurt Eggers bei "16. RFSS"
www.sud.estranky.cz
Gebirgsziege

Post by Gebirgsziege »

Superb site! I have bookmarked it for many more returns.
Peterth PK

Post by Peterth PK »

think this should be for it, these descriptions...
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 3&t=181521
maybe will be better with some info with every album...
Wort und Bild sind unsere Waffen !
SS-KB Zug "TK" * SS-Stand. Kurt Eggers bei "16. RFSS"
www.sud.estranky.cz
Vinland

Post by Vinland »

@PeterthPK:

Permission from NARA? No, these were from a DVD collection, sold by the gent in the link you provided

(digitalhistoryarchive@verizon.net)

Great guy, nice service.

The images I've uploaded all come from contact sheets- with anywhere from 5-30 photos per contact sheet.

I've gone into the contact sheets, one by one, on each Kriegsberichter and copied, pasted, resized, and run some action scripts I built in Photoshop to enhance some detail. Some pictures are bracketed and it takes a while to sift through all the scans as some are dark or very light, due to the original photos.

I then save them out and then upload in folders on the website.

The NARA archives aren't the best for information as far as dates- some of the contact sheets are dated on the back, not all, unfortunately. But alot of them can be 'dated' by units or cufftitles or 'personalities' in the photos, as well as landmarks and things like vehicle ID.

It's taken me a few months to work on this and more photos are in the works from the collections.

I strongly urge that anyone serious on researching some of these photos to purchase the original DVDs off the gentleman who scanned the contact sheets and made the DVDs. A wonderful, unique service and he's provided us all with a chance to view rare and unpublished photos.

I would have loved to have a banner to his site, but the program I used to archive and sort these on the site does not allow for advertising banners etc.

I haven't looked for 'permission' from NARA, the DVDs specifically ask that the NARA archives be credited.

This website I've built is not for profit, I pay for all the hosting, bandwidth, time and energy getting these up, it's more of a labour of love to share these unique photos.
koobleguy

Post by koobleguy »

GREAT website! :) keep up the good work!
regards, koobleguy

always looking for parts, pictures etc for VW Kübelwagen type 82 Schwimmwagen type 166 BMW R75
GraemeMac

Post by GraemeMac »

Absolutely fantastic. Thanks for sharing.
erikbozwo2 wrote: Pyotr, please don't take any advice from peiper.

Return to “Internet and links”