Loads of information needed

Moderator: Feldjager

CHAAAARGE !!

Loads of information needed

Post by CHAAAARGE !! »

My first post apart from messages on my introduction.

I thought I knew me WWII stuff but didn't.
Two months ago I didn't know about
M36
Das Heer
Crusher caps (and even my own head size)
That the breast eagle is on the right
What 'Got min uns' meant
LSSAH
One shoulder board
The smell of mothballs
The Eastern Front medal
Re-enacting
Pebble dashed buttons
Saddle shape

There's plenty I need to know:
Where do you get an SS tie ?
What are the details I need ? What is it made of ? What length ? what width at it's widest ?
I wanted a white SS shirt ?
Did they only wear brown ?

There's loads more info needed but I think I've spent me trivia requirement allowance for the month already.
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

What is an "SS tie"? If you mean a service tie - Then any nice thin rayon tie "will do" but you can obtain a period tie from places such as EBay.
SS commonly wore brown shirts but White was worn by Allgemeine personnel (another term to look up) More common was the grey shirt or hemd

If you are doing a Heeres Artillerie Offizier... Why are you wanting SS items?????. Vee too ask ze kvestions!
CHAAAARGE !!

Post by CHAAAARGE !! »

I've all but completed my artillery outfit and now I have the bug I've started to put together a black outfit thanks mainly to Schafers encouragement.
bee

Re: Loads of information needed

Post by bee »

CHAAAARGE !! wrote: The smell of mothballs
There IS something wrong with you ;)
bee.
--
the greatest pet i had was a flat rat.
CHAAAARGE !!

Post by CHAAAARGE !! »

You know what I mean about the mothballs though don't you ?

In all my 30+ years I can only remember having smelt mothballs once and that was over 20 years ago but the smell of mothballs has become normal in the last month thanks to my repro uniforms reeking of the stuff !
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Repro uniforms shouldn't smell of mothballs. Original ones maybe.... But what reason would there be to use napthalene on modern fabrics????

Do I take it you are doing an Allgemeine uniform???? If so definitely not my cup of tea.
Waffen SS - sure. Verfugunstruppen yep. Heeres - Yes. Luftwaffe/Fallschirmjager nice..... Kriegsmarine.. lubberly But hard core nazi stuff... SA/A-SS...not for me. and you'll find you get a poor reception at shows if worn. Schafe and the boys do LSSAH Parade uniforms, in context and look superb.
CHAAAARGE !!

Post by CHAAAARGE !! »

I can only presume the mothballs smell is either because they made a load and expected them to be a slow seller or because this is meant to suggest a degree of authenticity but believe me my latest really pongs.
I got it hung up in my wardrobe with my work clobber and every now and then in work I catch a wiff of it. Not a good thing if you want to impress a 21st century lady in work.
I enjoyed putting the artillery officers uniform together (and enjoyed the lads shocked responses when I opened me front door dressed up) so much I decided to go for the black outfit.
When Schafer sent some pictures I realised that you could actually get this stuff and went for it.
I got the black uniform off e-bay yesterday (not something Schafer reccommended) and I'm a little disappointed .
It only cost £79 for tunic and trousers, the quality of the cloth is excellent, the trousers fit well and I like the collar bullion but it came to me screwed up in a taped up bin bag like a 3rd world football and has creases all over it which I hope will drop out or be ironed out, the lower pockets have no pocket just the scallop pocket flap (could this be right ?), there is absolutely no support in the shoulders and although the arms are a great length it is too big.
Anyone know of someone who will do alterations to this kind of kit ?
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

That smell comes free with some of the asian made repro's. A gentle wash wont shift it nor does hanging on a line outdoors for days. Fabreeze helps but not much.
One reason to use RAU.
CHAAAARGE !!

Post by CHAAAARGE !! »

Please don't misunderstand my intentions buying this uniform.
I am not some kind of hard core Nazi nutter.
I have always been into my clobber. I was a skinhead in the early 80's (I still think a crombie style overcoat is the kiddie), I got into the casual style in the mid 80s and because of this I am very aware of the power to influence people that clothes have.
This project I am putting together is not for public viewing, it is purely for my own enjoyment.
I have been told that clothes are a hobby for me rather than something most other people have to do. This is true - I will buy a tracksuit top or a pair of trainers for mad money and not wear them but just keep them in my wardrobe because it is a classic design of its time and it is to me an affordable work of art.
My interest in Nazi uniforms cannot be explained I just feel they look 'right' but in no way do I approve of the ideology...apart from I think homosexuality should still be a crime.
The SS uniform is (in my opinion) the second best look ever.... only a Roman centurion has a better kit but they wore skirts.

Hope you all understand where I'm coming from now.

ps. Why the single shoulder board on the SS uniform ?
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Yer Frikening me now!
Yer wanna put this together to wear at home....
Yer woz a Skin
Yer fink homeyboyesuality iz kriminal

But yer is norra Nazi nutter.... OK - I'm believin' yer!

The black SS uniform is in fact a Gay iconic symbol.
Wearing uniforms out of context (i.e. not as part of an organised "event" in company with other like minded individuals) is questionable.

No disrespect and no put down - Plain Yorkshire speaking. I think there are other issues which need addressing. Not serious, fairly deep - But not something I want to go into at all. stat.

Now join a group, fit in, become part of a team.... indulge the "dressing up" element there.... healthy..... Take part in the established activities.... laugh, booze, battle, diorama, private event. Worthwhile hobby..... good outlet, stress relief.... justifiable. I'm sorry - I can't wrap my fairly large psyche around just where youa re coming from. Each their own individual right - I respect that (unlike you with homosexuals) but it doesnt' sit alongside what I and my lot do.
CHAAAARGE !!

Post by CHAAAARGE !! »

Reading your forthright posts I knew you come from Yorkshire. I was guessing Rotherham ? or perhaps more North - outskirts of Bradford ?

I was a skinhead because of the 2-Tone movement - I have never had a scrap with a black fella.
I think homosexuality is as wrong as you can get - it's sex gone wrong like beastiality and paedophilia - sorry if that offends I won't mention it again.
I was not aware the black uniform was a gay icon ! It must be a bit like Mel Brooks making films about nazis even though he was Jewish.
I will not be wearing this around the house doing the hoovering or anything like that - as I said this is purely for me like having a painting or a sculpture. I admire the uniforms aesthetic qualities.

I like your plain speaking though.
You're right on some points. I've had a bad 2006 and have had to look to find other ways to spend me money other than getting smashed.
I already have a large group of friends and this to me a harmless hobby and I'm learning stuff everyday thanks to people like yourself.

Thanks.

ps. Why was the first part of your last message written like a 10 year old boy doing a 'rap' ? :D
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Tha reet close lad - Am frum Baaaarnsley!
This wun is ritten in broad yorksher en if tha ken read it tharagudden!
Am ez daft ez er brush mooist ert'time en ah lark ter ev er laff when am typin sooas fowks dunt think am been too 'arsh on em.

If tha wonts ter ev er reight laff tha need ter get thissen art ter a do...

Or in English - If you have so far had a bad 2006 - and you need to lift yourself - arrange to get to an event or three and see what we all do close up. I virtually guarantee that you will end up in a group and find that apart from being barking bonkers, the majority of us are cool dudes/geezers.

Can I just say that the issue of homosexuality you have is a common one - You tie it up with sex. In fact a very hetero thing to do..... Not being homosexual myself I can't speak from experience but I think if you take time out to meet and be around gay people you will find that it is about attraction and social preference. Much like some blokes having a preference for fat lasses - It's not everyone's taste but it's not unnatural...... Also I dont'think this forum is the place for this... We are about WWII Jairman shoite...... and you never know if any of the gay fellas in our community read. I for one would not want to offend them. In fact one in particular - I admire for his stance a year or three ago and I enjoy spending time in his company - even though we spend time sparring verbally (Albeit goodnaturedly!)Youd be surprised who you rub shoulders with in this hobby.... get out and meet us. (Although not in your Schwarze bekleidungen)
CHAAAARGE !!

Post by CHAAAARGE !! »

In Krek Bristle.

Yoom allride me babby.
Oi cassun sees no problem un I did fair enjoy reeden' that ur Yorksherrr wridin' look.
I thing coom godda rye di deal.

In normal English

That's fine mate.
No problem and I enjoyed reading your message.
You obviously know whats what.

Return to “Uniforms and Insignia”