Ardennes uniform

Moderator: Feldjager

gerdbremer

Ardennes uniform

Post by gerdbremer »

Can anyone tell me if there is a source for fleece lined goatskin coats like the 5 button one worn by Sturmbannfuhrer Jupp Diefenthal in the photo of him observing captured American soldiers in the Ardennes offensive? It looks like it may have been worn by LSSAH personnel in Russia also.

Second question,what kind of trousers is he wearing? They look like mouse gray winter trousers tucked into his jackboots.

Mark Hull
peiper1944

Re: Ardennes uniform

Post by peiper1944 »

Your're talking about this pic i believe, it has been debated on here before, yes
it is a goatskin type jacket, there were many varations made of fur/skins etc
which had been donated/collected to help the German War effort then they were
re-issued to the troops,

Unfortuately apart from the real thing if you are lucky enough to drop on one from
dealers or perhaps Ebay there are no other supplier or source for these jackets, there
is no specific shop where you can buy these lol, as far as i know no reproduction of this
has ever been done, if they were i think all us German reenactors would buy one, i
definately would :wink:

As for the trousers Jupp is wearing in the pic i believe they may be captured American
trousers he is wearing maybe the waterproof type

(see below)
Jupp Diefenthal Ardennes 1944.jpg
Jupp Diefenthal Ardennes 1944.jpg (75.64 KiB) Viewed 3209 times
Staff-Sgt, British Airborne Pathfinders Unit (Ex SBG)

ww2airbornegroup.webs.com
gerdbremer

Post by gerdbremer »

Yes,that's the photo,Peiper. I thought the same thing about the trousers.Could be the "tanker" trousers? Another photo of a German soldier in the Ardennes with stahlhelm and pistol looks like he has them on.Too bad the goatskins aren't reproduced.Like you said,I think alot of German reenactors/living historians would buy them.
Thanks,
Mark Hull
peiper1944

Post by peiper1944 »

gerdbremer wrote:Yes,that's the photo,Peiper. I thought the same thing about the trousers.Could be the "tanker" trousers? Another photo of a German soldier in the Ardennes with stahlhelm and pistol looks like he has them on.
Yes the pic with Diefenthal i thought they maybe US Tankers overalls, as for the other
pic you are referring to i think this is it, my favourite set of pics taken at Poteau/Ardennes
1944, apparantly this guy is wearing a US waterproof poncho also captured, this has also
been debated on here before too (see below)
SS Grenadier Poteau Ardennes 1944.jpg
SS Grenadier Poteau Ardennes 1944.jpg (12.14 KiB) Viewed 3192 times
german_soldier_ardennes_1944.jpg
german_soldier_ardennes_1944.jpg (77.47 KiB) Viewed 3192 times
Peiper :wink:

gerdbremer

Post by gerdbremer »

No,this soldier wasn't wearing a coat over the trousers.You could clearly see it.He had a belt over the suspenders and it was a photo of him from the back.
Mark Hull
peiper1944

Post by peiper1944 »

Can't find it now but i think i know the pic you mean :wink:

Return to “Uniforms and Insignia”