Opinions about the color of a M40 tunic?

Moderator: Feldjager

FritzLorenz

Opinions about the color of a M40 tunic?

Post by FritzLorenz »

Hi,

Few years ago I bought a M40 tunic made by Lost Battalions in Texas, but unfortunately the circumference of my chest augmented significantly in the last three years so I had to sell my tunic because it was too small anymore.

Having an extremely limited budget, I bought an import tunic made by spearhead militaria. Of course, I do not expect the same quality with a 75$ tunic. I diminished the circumference of the waist by 5 inches, now the tunic fits me well. Another detail, the sewings(the vertical ones on every sides) were missing on the pleats of the pockets. This lack of sewing gave a more ''fluffy'' look to the pockets. I added those sewings and now the look of the tunic is already better. So, if you see another big flaw on the pictures, can you tell me please and I will see if I can modify it or if I simply live with it.

I would like to know if you think that the color of the tunic is still in the acceptable range of ''Feldgrau''? Personally, I think it is still acceptable but I'm curious to have other people's opinion. About the color, the seller warned me that the color of the ebay picture was not like the tunic I would receive, so the seller is not to blame about it, I was willing to take the risk. In fact, I really appreciated to deal with Barry Lyndon from spearhead militaria, it's a really nice guy.

dixiedrummer

Re: Opinions about the color of a M40 tunic?

Post by dixiedrummer »

Color is acceptable. Not usually what you would see on an m40, but it fits in the generic and ever changing color of "feldgrau." If the sleeves don't shrink up a bit after wearing it awhile or getting it wet at an event, I would shorten them a bit. That's just my opinion.
FritzLorenz

Post by FritzLorenz »

Thanks for your comments! I agree with you on everything.

And I don't know if I am right about it, but I think we have more chances to see this color on a late(made in 1943 for example) M40 tunic than on an early war example. So, I think this tunic is probably more acceptable for a late war impression rather than an early war impression. I did not saw a lot of original tunics so I could be wrong about this observation.
dixiedrummer

Post by dixiedrummer »

That is correct. It's more of a later color. But the odds of an m40 being made later in the war would be less likely.
SplinterA

Post by SplinterA »

I'm feeling an Italian wool vibe to the colour?
Friedrich Köhler

Post by Friedrich Köhler »

SplinterA wrote:I'm feeling an Italian wool vibe to the colour?
Then you might check your eyes hehe (no offense!) :wink: Italian wool is blue/greenish and not brown/green like the example above.

Well the model M40 was sewn up until the end of the war in some factories so that could work indeed. And the color will fade with usage and by sunlight and such. All in all a good tunic I would say.
I would also shorten the sleeves as dixiedrummer says, will look far better. A thing you could do is to use a razor and shave the uniform (sounds crazy) bu you will get a better look and a more worn look an voila you got a nicer looking tunic!
FritzLorenz

Post by FritzLorenz »

Thanks everyone for your comments! I made some test with my razor and yes, I see(and feel) a difference. After the shaving, the wool feels more like the wool of a WWII sweddish tunic I have. So I guess it's a positive change.
SplinterA

Post by SplinterA »

On my screen it looks grey green, especially the first two pictures.
FritzLorenz

Post by FritzLorenz »

It's always hard to say from a picture, but the color is definitely a green/brown(It looks more green than brown).
Halle

Post by Halle »

Looks Brown , almost M44 colour ..
Jäger Stefan Halle 3./I./Geb.Jag.Reg.100
peiper1944

Post by peiper1944 »

Yes I would agree the tunic shown looks to be
a late War colour however I would say it is acceptable
as a "battle tunic", if you are on a budget and you are
still looking for an M40 tunic perhaps I can draw your
attention to the M40's that Militaria Net are selling,
these appear decent quality and the correct colour
and are medium priced, good luck ;-)
Staff-Sgt, British Airborne Pathfinders Unit (Ex SBG)

ww2airbornegroup.webs.com
BedsnHerts

Post by BedsnHerts »

Looks fine.
M40s were manufactured until at least 1943 so a browny wool is acceptable.
The fact that it won't match your trousers is even better.
Most repro jackets are too far on the green side for my liking. I think yours is much more interesting.

From the ATF website
http://atthefront.com/german/uniforms/i ... ldgrey.jpg
"The 4 on the right are all made in 1943. If this is difficult to swallow, please call A. Speer"
:lol:
FritzLorenz

Post by FritzLorenz »

In all honesty, on a strictly esthetics point of view, I prefer by far the color of this tunic over the color of my old one made by lost battalions.

Of course, in reenactment, historical accuracy is more important than esthetic, this is why I do some research when I receive an item with a so big difference of color. Fortunately, this tunic will be used to portray a late war soldier, so I don't think the color I will be a big issue for what I will do with it. Especially that my friends are the kind of guys that like to crawl in the forest and dig trenches, this tunic will not be a parade tunic for sure!

Last night, I shortened the sleeves a little bit.
peiper1944

Post by peiper1944 »

BedsnHerts wrote:Looks fine.
M40s were manufactured until at least 1943 so a browny wool is acceptable.
The fact that it won't match your trousers is even better.
Most repro jackets are too far on the green side for my liking. I think yours is much more interesting.

From the ATF website
http://atthefront.com/german/uniforms/i ... ldgrey.jpg
"The 4 on the right are all made in 1943. If this is difficult to swallow, please call A. Speer"
:lol:

The pic you've shown BedsnHerts as you said the 4 tunics on the right of the pic are made in 1943
thats because they are M42 and M43 tunics,
Fieldgrey.jpg
Fieldgrey.jpg (57.88 KiB) Viewed 7544 times
(Your link)

You can tell by the pocket differences (ie: no pleats flat pocket flaps) also more buttons that is why
the colour is different because they are later made tunics so your comments are misleading, we are
discussing M40 tunics which had five front buttons, pleated pockets and trapazoid shaped pocket flaps
and as far as i know the M40 tunic wasn't made until 1943 at all, this style was phased out in 1942
because they were too expensive to make, you may find the odd one or two M40 tunic stamped with
later dates, i had an original M40 that was stamped 1941 but these had been in storage and had been
re-issued from the Army stores

The M42 was later introduced then the M43 which had been made even more cheaply by cutting down on more
features to cut down on expense, as for the colour on late war tunics there is a reason for that it wasn't as if
one day the Germans decided to change colours, no this was also due to expense, the manufacturers cut down
on the ingredients on dyes, for one less salt was added, salt was an ingredient used in dye making which was used
to hold the colour onto garments especially wool hence late war tunics look a darker field grey colour rather than
the richer early war colour, while on some M40 tunics you find colours vary due to different manufacturerers they
wasn't as dark as this, while it looks "intresting" to wear different coloured tunics, i suggest getting a later War model
such as an M42/43 to look correct rather than an early style tunic made with late War cloth, tbh the company "Spearhead"
on E-Bay is not a place i would go for "correct" garments, just my two cents :wink:
Staff-Sgt, British Airborne Pathfinders Unit (Ex SBG)

ww2airbornegroup.webs.com
FritzLorenz

Post by FritzLorenz »

http://atthefront.com/historical_refere ... unics.html

From the link: '' There are original photos of troops at the 1938 Party Rally wearing "M40's" and my originals are dated 38, 39 and 43 respectively.''

Assuming that they do not make a mistake about the authenticity of their tunics, M40s were manufactured until at least 1943, perhaps even later. Of course, I still think that it is better to have a M43 or M44 of this color rather than a M40 if we don't want to portray the ''exception''.

Return to “Uniforms and Insignia”