new season - new gear review

Moderator: Feldjager

Panzer Wittman

new season - new gear review

Post by Panzer Wittman »

Well just to add something to pg.net i thought i'd start a new season new gear/review thread. Post your new stuff with an honest review.
First up from me (one of three) is a Hessen open-necked SS officer's tunic.
Having owned a few chen gabardine tunics I believe this is still one of his. Hessen bought a load of Chen's gear so they must have some still left.
As per his previous gabardine numbers this is a very good tunic for an attractive price. I bought a size too large, then took it to a local tailor and had it altered for a custom tailored fit. This will be my beer tent outfit for this season and i've gone for something a bit different - an ss field doctor's impression. The insignia is from various suppliers with some nice repro medical officers cyphers on the boards.
As before with hessen, the postage is very pricey - half the cost of the tunic again but you cant fault the delivery time - 3 days from the USA and tracked every minute of the way! Unfortunately i got stung by the 'will we/wont we' customs gits and had to hand over another forty notes on the doorstep.
All in all probably the most expensive tunic i've ever put together but i am very happy with the result and would recommend both Hessen and this very nice product. It's listed as an officer's SD tunic on the site - which of course it was used with but also popular within general ss officers too.
Attachments
tunic1 (360x640).jpg
tunic1 (360x640).jpg (129.27 KiB) Viewed 3706 times
Panzer Wittman

Re: new season - new gear review

Post by Panzer Wittman »

Next up - my newest Janke addition - a 'sunday best,, EM/NCO walking out visor.
I will continue to sing the praises of Janke. No offence to Erel owners but the quality, attention to detail and shape of these caps is outstanding. If you have ever owned an original Erel, these new so called ones bear no resemblance in the slightest - basically a guy bought the name, added the insignia to some caps and claimed the heritage.
Once upon a time Janke caps were very expensive - not that they are cheap now and have indeed gone up. But when you see how Erel (ugh hate having to call them that!) have hiked up their prices also these are now not much more expensive than their very poor generic military caps.
For me the Janke is one of very few caps which genuinely look the real deal - a kind of cross between a real Erel and a Pekuro.
This one is from James Brown at Extraklasse. Must say i cannot fault the cheeky internal advertising that's taken the place of the usual Janke generic makers mark, but I have to add that the quality of the insignia had dropped somewhat. My other Brown bought Jankes - which span many years now - had much higher detailed TKs. But then they are easily swapped out for better detailed ones.
Attachments
20140326_220708-1 (689x800).jpg
20140326_220708-1 (689x800).jpg (241.59 KiB) Viewed 3704 times
janke1 (800x780).jpg
janke1 (800x780).jpg (244.91 KiB) Viewed 3704 times
Panzer Wittman

Post by Panzer Wittman »

Finally, I have upgraded my 4 man oakleaf zelt from Panther Store to an eight man. I will not post a pic as there are plenty on the forum already but i will add some feedback.
As many will know, with SS cammo they are up there with the best. The print is great. The fabric is heavy weight and the weave is seriously tight meaning excellent water repelling straight out of the box. Being a tall(ish) lad my 4 man was just too small and this 8 man will be just right.
The comms and customer service from panther have always been great.
The price at only 283 euros for a full four man zelt is superb value for money and i would recommend them to anyone.
rsvpiper

Post by rsvpiper »

Nice setup Jim will it be getting an airing at Bushey?
peiper1944

Post by peiper1944 »

What group you with Wittmann, just curious ?
Regards Pipes
Staff-Sgt, British Airborne Pathfinders Unit (Ex SBG)

ww2airbornegroup.webs.com
Panzer Wittman

Post by Panzer Wittman »

Unfortunately bushey is looking unlikely for me due to family commitments so it'll be rgm next I think.
I am a member of das reich herr piper
peiper1944

Post by peiper1944 »

Panzer Wittman wrote:Unfortunately bushey is looking unlikely for me due to family commitments so it'll be rgm next I think.
I am a member of das reich herr piper
I thought you were somebody else lol,
there was another "Wittmann" who used
to be on this forum ;-)
Regards Peiper
Staff-Sgt, British Airborne Pathfinders Unit (Ex SBG)

ww2airbornegroup.webs.com

Return to “Uniforms and Insignia”