SS M42 Blurred Edge Smock

Moderator: Feldjager

9.SS-PzDiv

SS M42 Blurred Edge Smock

Post by 9.SS-PzDiv »

Hello fellow reenactors,

I have a rather simple question: Where can I get a good reproduction of a M42 smock with blurred edge camouflage? By good I mean it shouldn't be bad quality, but not too expensive either. I'm looking for a quite dark version of that smoke pattern. Which smock can you recommend?

Regards,
Thierry
Gaulke1944

Re: SS M42 Blurred Edge Smock

Post by Gaulke1944 »

Gavin' s is the best blurred edge out there, hands down. Much better than smw's crap and much cheaper too.
Fritz

Post by Fritz »

You can get exactly the same smock at ZIB:
http://www.zib-militaria.de/epages/6143 ... 90698-0001
Shipment should be faster and cheaper than from Asia...
9.SS-PzDiv

Post by 9.SS-PzDiv »

Gaulke1944 wrote:Much better than smw's crap and much cheaper too.
Why "crap"? what's wrong with them?

Unfortunately ZIB only has small sizes left, I'm looking for a size II or III.
Panzer Wittman

Post by Panzer Wittman »

Indeed - describing smw - makers of very expensive but some of if not the best camo out there as 'crap'.
Please do explain why. Their reliability of postage and order fulfilment is dire but do explain what's wrong with their products.
Gavin does provide a good copy and very reasonably priced -just be prepared to wait two months for it to turn up!
9.SS-PzDiv

Post by 9.SS-PzDiv »

Can anyone say something about epicmilitaria's smock quality? I'm talking about this one: http://www.epicmilitaria.com/m42-blur-e ... smock.html

I can't find anything from Gavin on the internet, does he even have a website?
Panzer Wittman

Post by Panzer Wittman »

http://www.gavinmilitaria.com

Epic's print is pretty poor - I'd avoid it.
If u can't afford smw go for Gavins but as said it'll take two months to arrive. If ordering smw in the uk see if soldier of Fortune have what u want - they stock smw.
9.SS-PzDiv

Post by 9.SS-PzDiv »

Panzer Wittman wrote:Their reliability of postage and order fulfilment is dire
Please explain that a bit better before I order anything there. What's your experience?
Panzer Wittman wrote:Epic's print is pretty poor - I'd avoid it.
The colors look a bit bright but it actually doesn't look generally bad on those photos. Well I can't decide that, I never had a smock from epic.
Another question. I'm looking for a set - Helmet cover and smock. Where do I find a helmet cover with the same pattern as Gavins smock?

I'm asking myself if it's worth getting a SMW smock since I don't really reenact, I never participate in any events, there's no reenactment group here and I don't even take many photos of my impression. The only person who cares about the quality of my uniforms is me. Most things I have now are decent, mediocre quality, well, between bad and excellent. Neither sturm or SMW/ATF. The problem is I've spent too much money on bullshit I can't use already.
Panzer Wittman

Post by Panzer Wittman »

I know quote a few guys who have ordered direct from smw over the last year and nearly all had the same experience. Paid, heard nothing back and then got a refund. The only successful transaction I know of recently was a guy who went to the factory a d sat there while they made it for him. They appear to be too busy with government contracts ad movies for the little guys anymore.
I wouldn't know about a helmet cover - drop gavin a line
It's more the pattern with anthonys blurred edge
It's not accurate enough for my liking
Smw are well worth the money of accuracy is your thing they're just a pain in the ass to actually buy
grenmartens

Post by grenmartens »

Check with Richard Underwood - he's back trading online tomorrow. He had some very nice blurred edge smocks in stock previously - I've got one in fact but can't post pics at present sorry.
k43

Post by k43 »

Richards smocks are Gavin's, just like all his tunics etc now.

If you want a helmet cover in Gavin's print just email him and ask, he makes all sorts on request.
9.SS-PzDiv

Post by 9.SS-PzDiv »

Alright. Thanks for the suggestions.
I'd really like to see some photos of Gavins smock, especially the autumn side! If anyone could show a picture or two, I'd be more than happy.

I actually found something else, I'm not sure if it's the same stuff everywhere, but what do you guys think?

http://www.kelsmilitary.com/SSSmocks/GUI-034.html
Gaulke1944

Post by Gaulke1944 »

Kels is gavin- best blurred out there.

SMW's is terrible, as with a lot of their current prints. its just mud- nothing remotely close to any original blurred edge I've ever seen, and certainly not the norm.
Fritz

Post by Fritz »

9.SS-PzDiv wrote:I'd really like to see some photos of Gavins smock, especially the autumn side! If anyone could show a picture or two, I'd be more than happy.
As already mentioned the ZIB smock is the same product - you can find detailed pics in this link:
http://www.zib-militaria.de/epages/6143 ... 90698-0001
9.SS-PzDiv

Post by 9.SS-PzDiv »

I totally forgot that somehow. Sorry :)

I'm definitely not going to buy a SMW smock because of the reasons that have been mentioned. I'll ask Gavin about a helmet cover, otherwise I'd have to look for that somewhere else.
If anyone wants to sell his blurred edge smock, let me know :D

Thanks!

Return to “Uniforms and Insignia”