sleeve shields

John Wilson

sleeve shields

Post by John Wilson »

I've been thinking recently on the reason behind the BFC arm shield being in the basic shield shape whereas most of the other foreign volunteer ones were rounded on the bottom, why? Any ideas?
Also, why was it made in a smaller size than the other nations flags?
Surely for a propoganda/recruitment point of view, the red white and blue would be more prominent?
94-87 Ich bedauere nichts
57-93 Either put me in jail or kill me
Salacious Crumb

Re: sleeve shields

Post by Salacious Crumb »

Dutch and Flemish shields in the beginning (1941) where also pointy, but later they got more rounded. Strange that the English shield didn't get round also as they got their insignia in 1944?
Member of
http://maa204.blogspot.com/
Kriegsmarine re-enactment group
Der Spiess
Location: Don't know but that blokes got a balaclava and an AK47!

Post by Der Spiess »

Chaps
SS sleeve shields tend to be pionted at the bottom. An example is the Croation red/white check sleeve sheild: the Heer one is rounded the SS one pointed they didn't just bring them over if they changed from Heer to SS but were issued new stuff (this being one of the reasons they lost the war. To busy with minor uniform details and not building tanks etc) .
As for British shields from the BFC being smaller. To my knowledge a real one doesn't exist and they look the same on the photographs so what makes you think there smaller?
Toodle pip
Der Spiess
Belfast or Bust
John Wilson

Post by John Wilson »

??? One of the reasons who lost the war???
Is it because of what?
And to my knowledge, more than one exists, and as far as I know from the people that have them, the repro ones are too small, or too large.
Der Spiess

Post by Der Spiess »

John Wilson wrote:??? One of the reasons who lost the war???
Is it because of what?
And to my knowledge, more than one exists, and as far as I know from the people that have them, the repro ones are too small, or too large.
John.. unless it's escaped you the Germans lost the war :wink: because they (the Germans) were too interested in minor uniform changes and not designing & making gun's tanks etc etc (for the second time) :D
But seriously:
As for more than one real BFC sleeve shield existing... Is there a photograph of a real one in any book published at the moment?
And if so where is it?
If not what are the dimensions of the shield? If it's bigger/small than other ethnic shield is there a reason for this?
Cheers
Toodle pip
Der Spiess
Belfast or Bust
reddevil1311

Post by reddevil1311 »

Der Spiess wrote:[ because they (the Germans) were too interested in minor uniform changes and not designing & making gun's tanks etc etc (for the second time) :D

Errrm. Panthers, MP44s, infa-red optics, sound chasing acoustic torpedos, jet aircraft, ballistic rockets, etc .

No, they never did any of this as they were too interested in minor uniform changes......... :?

ok.

Ashley :P
"I am a white male aged 18 to 45, everyone listens to me no matter how dumb my suggestions are"

www.reenactor.se (FHF - Sweden)
http://combatengineers.forumup.org/
John Wilson

Post by John Wilson »

:) Well we could get into the whole nonsense about who started and finished the war...Britain.
As for photos in books, I'll grant you that there's not many.
I'm going by my research and I think that the ones available are wrong.
Der Spiess

Post by Der Spiess »

reddevil1311 wrote:
Der Spiess wrote:[ because they (the Germans) were too interested in minor uniform changes and not designing & making gun's tanks etc etc (for the second time) :D

Errrm. Panthers, MP44s, infa-red optics, sound chasing acoustic torpedos, jet aircraft, ballistic rockets, etc .

No, they never did any of this as they were too interested in minor uniform changes......... :?

Ashley :P
Ashley
Mate come on... All of those things you've listed are some of the finest weapons of war and most ingenius equiptment to come out of the period I aggree but my point is valid. A large part of the German war machine was basically still thinking it was winning and messing about with variations on uniform triviallities, at the end of the war when they would have been better off concentrating on making the average Soldat uniform thicker not prettier.

And anyway your dressed as a Yank, in East London, I ask you. :D They bombed our chip shop! etc etc :shock:

Regards
Paul
Walthamstow
Toodle pip
Der Spiess
Belfast or Bust
Der Spiess

Post by Der Spiess »

John Wilson wrote::) Well we could get into the whole nonsense about who started and finished the war...Britain.
As for photos in books, I'll grant you that there's not many.
I'm going by my research and I think that the ones available are wrong.
John
All this is fine but :D you sill haven't said what they should be and how you know? :D
All the best.
Paul
PS my Gran lives in Forfar (thats not a euphemism) thats up your way.
Toodle pip
Der Spiess
Belfast or Bust
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

This photo came from this site www.bills-bunker.privat.t-online.de John why not speak to Bill
ImageImageImageImageImage
Mikkel

Post by Mikkel »

They still printed invasion maps of Iran in '44.
reddevil1311

Post by reddevil1311 »

Der Spiess wrote: A large part of the German war machine was basically still thinking it was winning and messing about with variations on uniform triviallities, at the end of the war when they would have been better off concentrating on making the average Soldat uniform thicker not prettier.
Granted. You make a good point there. This also happened to a certain extent with US uniforms, although functionality won over prettyness in most cases (except the Ike jacket). The main difference between the two is that the US had the resources to be able to do this, whereas Germany did not.
Der Spiess wrote: And anyway your dressed as a Yank, in East London, I ask you. :D They bombed our chip shop! :shock:
:P :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: Now that's funny! Walthamstow eh? West Ham myself.

Ashley

And back onto the main thread - I agree, ask Bill for his thoughts on the BFK shield as he has undertaken a fair bit of research.
"I am a white male aged 18 to 45, everyone listens to me no matter how dumb my suggestions are"

www.reenactor.se (FHF - Sweden)
http://combatengineers.forumup.org/

Return to “Third Reich Foreign volunteers”