Three Lions on a Tunic

Wilhelm

Post by Wilhelm »

I will only be at Detling (due to work commitments)

But Beate will be at Beltring, you can buy her a drink,
She will look forward to it.

Cheers, Bill
Schäfer

Post by Schäfer »

Jon Das Reich wrote:
Schäfer wrote:
Jon Das Reich wrote:In the UK no one minds seeing a Charlemagne or Nederland tunic because these foreign volunteer units didnt come from the UK unlike the BFC who are looked on as traitors here in the UK.
I would guess other foreign volunteer units get the same cold shoulder in the own countries also.
If I remember correctly, Beltring and the Odyssey have a blanket ban on Freiwillige uniforms every year.
Hi Kev
I never knew that and you see loads of freiwillige uniforms at both of these shows, personally i cant see the problem with any Freiwillge unit being reenacted, remember the free India bloke that used to turn up to Beltring?
Hi Jon.

I'm going by the instructions that are sent each year to members of the SBG when we attend these shows.

Apparently it's stuff sent out by the show organisers, much in the same way that HJ aren't allowed to wear armbinden at the Odyssey.

That being said, I have personally seen the occasional Dutch, French and Danish shields being worn on W-SS uniforms.

Personally I see nothing wrong with it myself, and I certainly wouldn't object to BFC uniforms or insignia being worn. How it would go down in other quarters, however, might be different altogether.
'Heia Safari' Facebook group page: https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/341661532588540

Schäfer

Post by Schäfer »

Jon Das Reich wrote:Out of interest the Brits who fought for Hitler is on at 16.00hrs GMT today on the history channel.
For those who aren't aware, the re-enacted scenes of this programme feature several members of the SBG.
'Heia Safari' Facebook group page: https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/341661532588540

Schäfer

Post by Schäfer »

Bill Medland wrote:Hi Jungs,

When we consider the specialized subject matter, BFC, I must say this thread has generated a lot of interest and well over 400 views speaks volumes.

There has been a few comments on the thread that perhaps should have been kept to PMs, be that as it may, I can hold my own with anyone in any field at anytime, enough said :wink: :lol:

Thanks go out to Mark, Jon and others for promoting my website :wink:
I am working on a new article about William Joyce, concentrating a little on his Volkssturm service, maybe interesting?

I am the first to admit that I have an "unhealthy" interest in traitors who fought for Germany. I have always had this interest, be it Eddie (the Gelly) Chapman or "Mr Devlin" from "The eagle has landed!"
How many of you have heard of the Kaisers "Irish Battalion" who fought in Flanders as part of the Imperial Army, under Sir Roger Casement?

During my research of the "British Union 1932-1940", I was approached by the "Friends of Sir Oswald Mosley" who produce the magazine "Comrade", and asked if I wanted to have a high position in their propaganda department! :shock:

During my time ten years ago with the HiAG (Waffen-SS veteran club),
the late SS-Obersturmführer Haberstroh made me an Honourary member of the BFC :shock:

Traitors can be a very interesting subject and if you could see all the books, notes and newspaper cutouts I have in my private collection, you will realise it has been my "lifes work".

Cheers, Bill
Bill, I find all this very fascinating to say the least. Just because it's not a part of history that is necessarily welcomed (particularly in the UK) when all is said and done it still happened and shouldn't be swept under the carpet.

I have Adrian Weale's book and I even have a BFC M44 tunic in my collection (albeit never worn.) I have also seen your website and enjoyed looking through it.

Take care.

Wilhelm

Post by Wilhelm »

Hi Jungs,

I am hoping to have my uniform ready for Detling, I will have my BFC tunic, cant afford a second one this year... would it be possible for someone to lend me a camo jacket for the event, so I can cover up my BFC insignia?

I understand that at least one of you has a BFC tunic? Perhaps we could stand side by side with our arms folded, flanked by two Wehrmacht soldiers...and reconstruct the famous Berry and Minchin photo?

Cheers, Bill
Jon Das Reich

Post by Jon Das Reich »

Alex
Herr Wissenschaftler

Post by Alex »

Bill Medland wrote:Hi Jungs,

I am hoping to have my uniform ready for Detling, I will have my BFC tunic, cant afford a second one this year... would it be possible for someone to lend me a camo jacket for the event, so I can cover up my BFC insignia?

I understand that at least one of you has a BFC tunic? Perhaps we could stand side by side with our arms folded, flanked by two Wehrmacht soldiers...and reconstruct the famous Berry and Minchin photo?

Cheers, Bill
bagsy me is on the flank :)
Wilhelm

Post by Wilhelm »

I was asked by a someone on a German language forum, in which Division was the BFC attached?

The BFC served briefly on the Oder Front as part of the 3rd Kompanie of the Aufklärungs Abteilung (reconnaissance unit) 11th Nordland Div.

The Kompanie commander was Hans-Gösta Pehrsson and the BFC had about 6 to 8 men in this Division in 1945.

We do know is that they were issued with a Hanomag 251/1 and a VW Schwimmwagen.

Cheers, Bill.
Wilhelm

Post by Wilhelm »

My BFC uniform, well, starting to get it together.

Due to German laws, I am not allowed to display a swastika,
or I could go to prison. So I have had to castrate the eagle, a shame,
but no way around it :(

Cheers, Bill
Baumer12

Post by Baumer12 »

I myself had a BFC uniform up until a year ago and wore it to a couple of shows in England. I only put it together because the whole subject sparked an interest in me and I have to say I only ever received good or curious interest. Strangely enough if anyone out there was offended by it they never said or had the guts to say anything.

I feel that if you start saying its ok to portray this unit but not that one then we might as well pack up and go home now. We as a community of re-enactors have fought very hard to get to where we are today the last thing we need now is to turn on our own.

Before anyone asks why I no longer wear the BFC uniform, no I didn't feel ashamed by it I simply moved on to something else. I like new uniforms and just decided to do something else, Bills interest go's past this for research and educational purposes. Remember without people like Bill and his research we wouldn't have the wealth of books, uniforms, insignia etc that we all take for granted.

Keep up the good work Bill and hope to meet you at Detling.
The Teutonic reputation for brutality is well founded. There operas last for three or four days and they have no word for fluffy.

http://www.stahlkrieger.co.uk
Dietmar

Post by Dietmar »

Bill Medland wrote:So I have had to castrate the eagle,
I do hope you don't have to do the same to the lions. Ouch, could bring a few tears to the eyes of some patriots.
By the way, planning on wearing the tunic to a couple of the matches? :twisted:
Wilhelm

Post by Wilhelm »

I do hope you don't have to do the same to the lions. Ouch, could bring a few tears to the eyes of some patriots.
By the way, planning on wearing the tunic to a couple of the matches?
The Lions are ok, they do not come under forbidden symbols in German law. I wanted to do Waffen-SS in Germany, but as SS-Runes are banned I choose BFC, I could have chosen "Florian Geyer" or one of the other non-German units... but I really fell in love with the three Lions patch.

I will be wearing it for the first time on 1st July 2006 in southern Germany.

In the UK I may cover the tunic with a camo smock for public events :wink:

Cheers, Bill
Dietmar

Post by Dietmar »

Actually Bill, serious question, whilst I'm aware the Hakenkreutz and SS runes are a definite no-no, what's the legal status of the Totenkopf in Germany?
Wilhelm

Post by Wilhelm »

what's the legal status of the Totenkopf in Germany?
To be honest, I will find out when they see my ski cap :lol:

Cheers, Bill
FJR6

Post by FJR6 »

You're really determined to find out how far you can go in Germany, right?

Return to “Third Reich Foreign volunteers”