Foreign Volunteers- For or Against?

Should Foreign Volunteers be allowed to formed?

yes
90%
no
2%
not bothered either way
8%

Total votes: 89

Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

I read it and passed on it..... In the States there is the SCA - God forbid it doesn't filter over here... (Ooops it already has!!!! we call them farbs)

The idea of "re-enactment" is to portray those who went before. Fantasy Role Play on the other hand is what our friend is talking about....... Krupps is doing his damndest to find a role that suits him and does justice to the subject - HvM on the other hand...... sounds like an airsofter......
Jon Das Reich

Post by Jon Das Reich »

Castle Wolfenstein springs to mind :lol:
Helmut Von Moltke

Post by Helmut Von Moltke »

Previous stupid post edited.
Last edited by Helmut Von Moltke on Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jon Das Reich

Post by Jon Das Reich »

Helmut Von Moltke wrote:
stop trying to justify yourself wearing a W-SS uniform
eh, eh, never heard of the 3 ethnic Chinese volksdeutsche in the Waffen SS? :wink:

And there aren't much Cossack uniforms anyway.
Yes i have heard of the odd one or two ethnic Asians volksdeutsche in the W-SS including the one in the Charlemagne Division, but you posted up regarding a made up 39th SS sweet and sour Division FFS

You can get Cossack uniforms, theres even a Cossack group here in the UK and theres a Osttruppen group in Singapore, theres a Dealer thats sells insignia and uniforms and im trying to think of their name he sells Russian and Germans stuff also plus Russian brides.
Sasha

Post by Sasha »

Jon - it's http://www.tridentmilitary.com

Check out Antonio Munoz's books first though I'm not 100% sure but I think some of his repro insignia come from that dodgy Signal article.

edit: Found it! http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/189122 ... e&n=283155
Kononov1941

Trident Military has the Foreign Volunteer goods...

Post by Kononov1941 »

Geez, here I am sounding like an advert, but Trident has done their research regarding Foreign Volunteers pretty well. Read Schiffer's "Uniforms and Insignia of Cossacks" and the bi-lingual French-English "Pannwitz Cossacks"; and by studying the period photographs more than anything else you can pick up on the pattern of which insignia were and were not used in the field. Trident has pretty much hit the mark, although my reenactment group has decided to produce on our own the 1943 "color" shoulder strap system, which although "officially" authorised for wear by the OKW for a short time in '43, can still be seen in 1944 dated photographs, as well as the famous portraits by Olaf Jordan.
Last edited by Kononov1941 on Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deterrence is the art of producing in the mind of the enemy the fear of retaliation.
2ad82recon

I think they need to be portrayed

Post by 2ad82recon »

I voted yes as my impression is to be based around SS "Nordland"....another poster mentioned that education of the public that by late 1944 most of the SS divisions were made up of non aryan personell.......and that fateful stereotype ought to be educated out of peoples thinking.

Regards

Lloyd
Dont Draw Fire......It tends to irritate the people around you
Der Spiess
Location: Don't know but that blokes got a balaclava and an AK47!

Post by Der Spiess »

I've always had avolunteer uniform on the go and started with Handschar, at the moment its Latvian but next year who knows...
Its a fasinating part of the Axis forces the answers a definate "Yes"
Toodle pip
Der Spiess
Belfast or Bust
scrann

Re: Foreign Volunteers- For or Against?

Post by scrann »

ive just about finished my wiking tunic , complete with a norwegian armsheild . il be wearing it next season :D the mrs is also kitted out as a norwegian , she portrays a front line nurse , plenty of interest in her armsheild at detling
dink

Post by dink »

Arm sheild ? I assume if she also is doing norwegian its the lion ?
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

Dink here is a great link for those doing norwegian http://www.frontkjemper.com/index.htm
ImageImageImageImageImage
dink

Post by dink »

Will look at that in a mo 8) I was curious about the female front line "arm shield" mainly as all I've ever seen is the propoganda pictures showing the red lion (looks almost velvet esqand more transfer than patch) in use, not seen it on any original piccies. Thus was hoping she (well if scrann doesn't mind asking or knows himself) may know of some definitive piccies ;)
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

Here is a photo of two very nice looking ladys with there Norwegian arm badges oand a Arm badge
ImageImageImageImageImage
dink

Post by dink »

Yes seen that, theres also a picture on their forum under a post titled "front sisters" I think I need to read up on other uniforms of women in Norway in WWII, something strikes me as erm unusual shall we say. I was commenting on the the nursing dress (similar to the DRK) that front line nurses alledgely wore from propoganda pictures. In place of the area triangle, these propoganda pictures show the Norwegian lion in a shield in red ;) its covered very minimally in a few books I have.

Oh and I say unusual as I don't know the front sisters actual job roles, the three women in the picture on the forum linked to that website are all in slightly different kit, presumably meaning they had varying roles. I wonder if much as german women in armed positions (and indeed allied posts) wore the wool uniforms and had the badge you note (which as far as I can see is merely a flag and no reference to red cross) and a red cross arm band. German women had the same symbol as the men for those able to provide medical first aid ( a snake twisting round a pole/sword) that was embriodered onto wool. (note these can be seen in pictures in Franz Sidlers book Blitzmadchen (with accent over the a that I don't know how to get on the forum))

Interesting stuff will have to take this I guess to womens section :oops: as I've taken it off in a different tangent :oops: sorry chaps

Any other sources of information would be useful
scrann

Post by scrann »

we was working off the picture above , its all we could find . no pictures exist of the mrs ( yet ) she hates having her picture took :roll:

Return to “Third Reich Foreign volunteers”