Anyone interested in a fez? Look here.

8MM

Anyone interested in a fez? Look here.

Post by 8MM »

I know there's quite a few people wanting to re-enact Handschar and the only thing keeping them from a realistic impression is the lack of a fez. Well here's the closest thing available:

http://www.villagehatshop.com/green-fez ... assel.html

Tassel offcourse needs to be died black and it should be possible to darken the overall color to field gray.

The top was sometimes concave and the area where the sweat band was would stretch from wear. They were not always available in all the right sizes for all the members of the division.

From this photograph you can also tell that there was a tassel stem portruding out of the cap.

Halle

Re: Anyone interested in a fez? Look here.

Post by Halle »

8mm , you're probably right about people wanting to reenact Handschar , but that fez is awful . Far better you take a pole on how many people want to do it , and approach one of the manufacturers ?
Jäger Stefan Halle 3./I./Geb.Jag.Reg.100
grenadier Biermann

Post by grenadier Biermann »

Yes Halle I strongly agree with you looks awful and wrong color mate should be monkey bottom red :lol: or field grey :)
Burger Schlesien Bad-Darkau
8MM

Post by 8MM »

The color can be altered, as far as shape, this is the closest equivalent Ive seen so far.

All other repros Ive seen were way too squared or had a rim that was too sharp.

Its one thing to criticize if you are offering a better alternative or if you've done the research. You aren't providing either. This is a start.
Halle

Post by Halle »

8mm - it wasn't really a criticism , more an observation . It IS awful , whichever way you look at it . And I DID offer an alternative - have some custom made . Trying to change the colour of things is incredibly difficult to do well , and here you have to change everything , fez AND tassle . You could spend good money on tunic , boots , camo smocks etc . , but if the one iconic piece of equipment looks like a f**k up .. Well .
The off duty dark red fez , on the other hand , is more easily done - I looked into that myself , and the correct colour and tassel is available , just needs to be tweaked and badged up .

Horrido !
8MM

Post by 8MM »

Ah nothing like hopeless negativism.
The most crucial portion of the fez provided for $20 and all that is required is a short dying process and shaping.
The maroon/dress/ceremonial fez was never worn by enlisted men. Never at Neuhammer nor in Bosnia. By spring 1944, even the officers went for the feldgrau version. So you're best suggestion so far is to settle for the easiest course of action in going for something historically unrealistic.
Amazing..
This is why I never got into this hobby. No shortage of pessimistic know-it-alls.
Halle

Post by Halle »

Are you actually reading my posts properly ? I USED THE MAROON FEZ AS AN EXAMPLE OF SOMETHING THAT COULD BE MORE EASILY CONVERTED . But , if you want to go ahead and " colour and shape " that cheap green fez , be my guest - if it comes up A1 , I'll be the first to applaud and admit I was wrong - so crack on with it .

As for being a pessimistic know it all - I'm not pessimistic , I just think I should try and do the best impression I can , NOT THE CHEAPEST . Which is why I got into the hobby in the first place .
I'm not a know it all either , I've studied the Handschar , as I've studied every Gebirgs unit , because its what interests me - I obviously don't know as much about Handschar as you , your historical posts have been excellent , and informative - I've said as much on the thread .

So , I await the results of your alchemy Sir ,

Horrido !
Otto Kohl

Post by Otto Kohl »

Guys can you help me to find what height were the fezes ? We are in the process of making fezes of our own production and we are bothering us about it.
Halle

Post by Halle »

Hi Otto ,
I've not found anything on the official dimension of the Handschar fez - however , I've viewed quite a few originals , and , with original illustrations , I wonder if there was an " official " size ? Some are taller than others , many seem to be " pill box " in shape , and their rigidity varies . Unless you've found the dimensions , could I suggest taking a rough estimate from an original illustration , one that you think is representative , and perhaps " looks " right ?
handschar

Post by handschar »

Here are the feses made by the hat maker in Maribor, Slovenia. He uses the original head model and the stitching, used for better quality feses to keep the form of the fes intact (others were not stitched, thus easily to deform). The only thing is that he used the cotton sweat band instead of the leader one because the factory, which produced the leather ones, ceased with the production. That can be easily replaced with the leather one, but as he instructed me, they used the cotton ones as well because it was more comfortable during the hot summer. If anyone is interested, just pm me ;)
Attachments
Handschar feses1a.jpg
Handschar feses1a.jpg (26.28 KiB) Viewed 23785 times
Moja čast zove se lojalnost!
Bitchenfuhrer

Post by Bitchenfuhrer »

$_57 (41).JPG
$_57 (41).JPG (250.06 KiB) Viewed 23020 times
$_57 (36).JPG
$_57 (36).JPG (26.67 KiB) Viewed 23020 times
These are on eBayuk atm.I think making it look authentic is doable with dye job,insignia and a tassel.
Attachments
$_57 (42).JPG
$_57 (42).JPG (21.75 KiB) Viewed 23020 times
Halle

Post by Halle »

Once again , they need to be dyed , and have tassels added .... I had three made in Slovenia , and they turned out rather well . I don't think dyeing is the answer , they need to be custom made ..
Bitchenfuhrer

Post by Bitchenfuhrer »

Thanks for the reply Halle.
My dodgy Pakistani knock off is on it's way from sunny England. :)
Shouldn't be more than an afternoons work to put all the bits on.
A custom made one would be nice though.
Can we have some pics of yours?
Halle

Post by Halle »

Refer to the pictures posted earlier on this page by Handschar . Apologies , as I cant post pics , never worked out how to do it on an ipad :oops:

I'd be interested to see how you get on with yours though , if its a success .....I'll maybe invest in one or two of those Pakistani Fez mysrlf - so good luck , I'm looking forward to the results ..

Return to “Third Reich Foreign volunteers”