Harald Nugiseks

Helmut Von Moltke

Harald Nugiseks

Post by Helmut Von Moltke »

Just to continue to get this section rolling. Several months ago on October 22, it was Harald Nugiseks birthday, and he was an RK holder of the 20. Waffen-Grenadier-Division der SS (estonische nr.1).

Mr Nugiseks was given the painting by Estonian patriots who who have not forgotten Mr Nugiseks and his service to his country in it's darkest hour. Harald Nugiseks was, and will always be an Estonian hero. (not hero woship!)

In February at the Narva front in 1944 German troops were unable to destroy a Soviet bridgehead. Estonian Waffen-SS troops were brought in, but were pinned down. Then SS-Oberscharführer Nugiseks led a counterattack which broke through the enemy lines in hand to hand combat and the enemy trenches were cleared. Mr Nugiseks was mentioned in the Wehrmachtsbericht and in the magazine 'Signal' following his RK award, which was personally given to him by the SA occupation head in Estonia while he was in hospital as a result of his wounds, which was filmed. Afterwards he was 'busted' in rank for fighting with some soldiers who were harassing Red Cross nurses. During the Soviet assault on Estonia, Mr Nugiseks's home was destroyed. Mr Nugiseks was captured by Czech partisans and put in a POW camp.

A portrait of Oberscharführer Nugiseks after his award.

Another portrait of Nugiseks, this time it being a colorized one.

After 3 unsuccessful escape attempts, he was handed to the Soviets, who released him in 1946 in Estonia yet imprisoned him again in 1945 and sentenced him to 10 years in the Gulag and 5 years deportation in Siberia. Mr Nugiseks managed to return to Estonia, where he worked until retirement. He has a very good and friendly nature, which helped him survive the Soviet Gulags and succeed in Soviet occupied Estonia. He also won the Ostmadaille, wound badge, Infantry assault badge and the Iron Cross 1st and 2nd Classes.

As a result of his service to his country, when Estonia regained it's independence Mr Nugiseks was made a Captain of the Estonian Army Reserve, although it is more of an honorary rank considering his old age.

Mr Nugiseks in the uniform of an Estonian Army Captain, wearing the RK.

Mr Nugiseks attended another Estonian RK holder, Major Alfons Rebane's reburial in Estonia in 1999 by the Estonian government. After the war Rebane worked in British intelligence against the Soviets, and passed away in the 1970s. Some of the 'usual gang' tried to stir up trouble over it, but fortunately the Estonian government still went ahead with it.

Mr Nugiseks beside another veteran carrying the ashes of Rebane.

Mr Nugiseks by the graveside.

Mr Nugiseks normally still answers correspondence, and I have had the honor of corresponding with him. Although however, his replies normally just contain a small note wishing the sender thanking him/her for his/her letter and wishing him/her the best, along with a signed photo or 2.

Harald Nugiseks - Glück Ab!

K
John Wilson

Post by John Wilson »

Best wishes go out to him and his kin, (although six months is a long time when you get to an older age, I do hope he's still with us).
94-87 Ich bedauere nichts
57-93 Either put me in jail or kill me
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

I have met him his grip on the hand shake was like putting my hand in a vice :shock:
ImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Third Reich Foreign volunteers”