SS uniforms in Italy

Moderator: supermario

wtac

SS uniforms in Italy

Post by wtac »

I have been asked by my mates in Belgium who are members of the Popski's Private Army preservation society for information on the uniform and insignia used by a couple of units that the PPA fought in Italy. Some of the PPA guys acquired uniforms from them as war souvenirs consisting of tunics and headgear which they wore. The units were the 5th and 24th 'SS Gebirgjager division' who fought in the area of Fassato - Italy in mid to late 1944. They pinched the uniforms from the Germans as they found them having a swim in a mountain lake and they had left the uniforms on the bank of the lake.

They also want information on 16. SS Panzer Grenadier Division.

Thanks
Franz repper

Re: SS uniforms in Italy

Post by Franz repper »

Good sir their is no 5th SS Gebirgs Div , only SS Gebirgs divs are 6th, 7th, 13th, 21st,23rd,24th
note that the 23rd was origanaly known as 23rd Waffen-Gebrigs division ders SS Kama
this was disbanded in 1944 the number 23 was then allocated to 23ed Panzergrenader Div Nederland
Ok back on topic the 24th Waffen Gebrigs div der SS (Kerstjäger) had been fighting in northern Italy and the Dolomites since 1942 Uniform would be the standard woolen fieldgrey uniform with the SS pattern Edeilweiss on their arm and cap M43 pattern or Bergmütz
ImageImageImageImageImage
wtac

Post by wtac »

Thank you very much for the information , I will pass it on to my friends in the PPA in Belgium. They are working from the diary's and notes left to them by some PPA vets and it is possible that the unit ids were mixed up.
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

wtac wrote:Thank you very much for the information , I will pass it on to my friends in the PPA in Belgium. They are working from the diary's and notes left to them by some PPA vets and it is possible that the unit ids were mixed up.
I did start to think that and had a look through my books as I had a feeling that the 5th Gebirgs div was in Italy The 5th was a Heer unit that some time in late 42 early 43 was moved to Italy if this is the case it would be standard Heer uniform and Heer Patern Edelweiss
ImageImageImageImageImage
mario33

Post by mario33 »

5th Gebirgs (Heer) was transferred to Italy late 1943 to the Gustav Line and stayed there until May 1945. Most notable fighting areas: north of Monte Cassino, Monte Gemmano, Bologna, West Alps (Rock Belface).

Regarding uniform standards, it might be mentioned that some numbers of 'Tropen' unifiorms were issued and used.

However, it is doubtful that they might have been at the Fasano area (north of Taranto) in numbers during 'Operation Slapstick' (British landing). Maybe some isolated small unit or a few soldiers taking their short vacations...

Mind you that British forces landed in the Taranto/Fasano area mostly unopposed in Sept 1943.
Operation Slapstick was a part of the Allied invasion of Italy during World War II on 9 September 1943. The operation consisted of the landing by sea of the British 1st Airborne Division at Taranto, an important naval base. Since the Italian government had surrendered the previous day and few German forces were in the area the troops were landed directly into the port from warships rather than carrying out an amphibious assault. Resistance was slight and the town and ports were captured almost immediately with few losses.
Eighth Army were able to make relatively easy progress for a while up the eastern coast capturing the port of Bari and the important airfields around Foggia
Mid- 1944 the frontline has long passed that area and moved far north - to Monte Cassino and Gothic Line (until May 1944) and further north later that year.
Es steht ein kleines, kleines Edelweiß
auf einer steilen, steilen Felsenhöh!

Kampfgruppe EDELWEIß
1 KP, 100 GJR

Return to “Italian Discussion”