Uniform & equipment suppliers?

Moderator: supermario

GRFJ

Uniform & equipment suppliers?

Post by GRFJ »

Hello

I apologize if this has been brought up here and I failed to see it.

Many years ago I wanted to put together a Bersaglieri motorcyclist uniform, as they appeared when they first crossed the Greek borders in 1940.
AT that time I got completely ripped off by an Italian Uniform manufacturer who I am sure most of you are aware of. Pre-paid for everything and got a helmet and fez to show for what was then more than 1000euros. I was also interested to make an Italian para uniform, good thing I didn't order both!

Anyway, is there someone else who makes Italian Uniforms & equipment? I know Pirschen does but he has few of the things I need. Is there someone else? Does anyone make the Giubba a vento, boots, leather leggings etc?

Thank you
Yannis
"Always keep your words soft and tender, one day you may have to eat them".
supermario

Re: Uniform & equipment suppliers?

Post by supermario »

Yannis,

Here is a list of items you could try.

Pegasus militaria for the Guibba e Vento (He makes the best ones, exact to original)

Sartoria Equipe for Boots (Again, excellent examples of how repro boots should be made)

The leather leggings are best sourced for Ebay.it. Look under the word GAMBALI in the militaria section. These come up often. You will need black ones of either the long strap or short strap versions. Both were worn

For the era you are doing, you will need an M33 helmet, with Bersaglieri Plume holder. These crop up on ebay.it from a couple of vendors (sisca and DHarma... The plume holder that is). Post war examples are the same as wartime, but they can fetch up to £35 per example. Helmets are easily acquired unless you have a big head. If you have a size 59 loaf, then i can help, as i have spares. I will paint it up in Regio Esercito colours, and apply the stencil, as was in 1940 (Most ignored the directive to remove the stencil)

For the uniform, use Pirschen. His is excellent. When you order the pantoloons, be sure to get the ordinary rank ones, as the motorised ones were rarely seen. However, as him to make them extra baggy in the leg. It is a more realistic and authentic look.

One thing you will not find is the motorcyclists long leather over coat. I've never seen one in all my time of collecting/ reenacting.

Hope that helps

Neil

PS, did you loose 1000euro's to a certain Sal Vasta at IFG? If so, then i'm truly sorry. He is a charlaten. I'm afraid you will never get your items or your money back.

GRFJ

Post by GRFJ »

Neil

Thanks so much for the information, it is greatly appreciated!

Thank you for the offer re the helmet but the only things I did get were the helmet plus holder & plume and the red fez. Helmet is painted a light grey though, don't know if this is correct?
These were ready so they were sent to me before the rest of the custom made order ... abit more than 5 years ago :roll:
Yes, that's the guy. After countless emails & phonecalls all I got was lame excuses. After 4 years of trying I simply threw in the towel. It's ok (NOT), one lives & learns.

From the photos I have seen most motorcyclists were wearing a type of "cavalry" bandoleer with 2 large pouches, worn across the shoulders. Would you say ebay is my best bet to find these and leather belt or is one of the sources you mentioned reproducing them?

Again, thank you for your help!
Yannis
supermario

Post by supermario »

Yannis,

Ok, with the Helmet, it should be a Grigio Verde (Grey green colour). Similar colours are Tamyia Field grey. However, one very close colour is Marabu Antique green. Its a German hobby paint company. They export to the UK, so hopefully they'll export to Greece too.

Ok, the bandolier. Definately Ebay. No one repro's this sort of thing, as they are still freely available. However, the price of WW2 Italian militaria has shoot up of late, so you may find it could cost you up to £60 (70 euro's). Just stick with the carcano ones, as the pistol versions are rare, and command a big price. If your're going for the bandolier (Which, as you rightly point out, is the normal equipment for motorcycle troops) then don't worry about the leather belt. You won't need one. They just used to tailor their jackets with the integral belt.

As for Sal Vasta, there could be a glimmer of hope. Firstly, a Lawyer in Italy is starting to look into what he has done. Fortunately, this guy is a reenactor too (Folgore and F squadron), so he's very sympathetic. However, the Italian police have now set up a special fraud investigation unit for web fraud/theft. Here is alink to there web site.

http://poliziadistato.it/pds/file/files ... 6_2008.pdf

Advice form the fellow Italian reenactors on comando supremo forum think it is best to contact the Milan or Trento offices to formally lodge a complaint.

If you still have his email, pm it to me. I'll see if i can rattle his cage. (He's bound to be in one) :D

Neil

P.S, Why Motorcycle Bersaglieri? Do you own an Italian motobike?

GRFJ

Post by GRFJ »

Neil

Thanks!

I'll send you a PM

Yannis

Return to “Italian Discussion”