ITALIAN/GERMAN FIELD GEAR

Moderator: supermario

Julio H33R

ITALIAN/GERMAN FIELD GEAR

Post by Julio H33R »

Hey all, I can use my german field gear like belt and buckle,ammo pouches, canteen, bread bag to reenact a Italian soldier???
GEFREITER KARL FELLER K.
148ª WEHRMACHT INFANTERIE DIVISION
ITALIAN FRONT
BERG

Re: ITALIAN/GERMAN FIELD GEAR

Post by BERG »

Well, for RE(Royal Army, pre-1943)- NO
But for RSI, the fascist Italian Social Republic(post-1943) - Yes!
During this time it was quite common to see italian soldiers with german equipment; belts, ammo pouches, e-tools and rifles like the k98 was common. But when it comes to other equipment like breadbags and canteens, they tended to wear regular Italian army issue stuff. So for an authentic post-1943 italian ENR(the RSI's army) impression you could "get away" with wearing the regular italian M40 uniform, along with some german items like a belt, a pair of ammo pouches and a k98. German helmets and tunics were seldom worn, but it did happen. But to be on the "safe side" -go with mostly Italian stuff and throw in a couple of German items.

For example, here's a photo of a group of Italian Bersaglieri, post -43, they are wearing Italian equipment with some german items;

These members of the Forlí battalion(they were attached to a German division) are wearing german belts, caps and are armed with german weapons(MG15, k98, panzerfaust);

Hope this helps! If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask! :wink:
Julio H33R

Post by Julio H33R »

Thank you very much Berg!! 8)
GEFREITER KARL FELLER K.
ITALIAN FRONT
BERG

Post by BERG »

You're welcome! :) Any particular RSI unit you are interested in portraying? I can give you some brief info about the 4 regular ENR(RSI army) divisions and their insignia if you want!
Julio H33R

Post by Julio H33R »

BERG wrote:You're welcome! :) Any particular RSI unit you are interested in portraying? I can give you some brief info about the 4 regular ENR(RSI army) divisions and their insignia if you want!
Hey Berg, I don't know much about the Italian Army in World War II, but I would like to take some items of my german heer uniform, since my grandfather fought in one Bersaglieri unit in Gothic Line and I have his Heer belt and buckle(Gott mit uns).
I'm thinking use my german m40 pants, belt and buckle, canteen, pouches and get a good Italian Tunic(I don't know what yet), helmet m33, Bustina and maybe something else like a Italian bag.
Regards
GEFREITER KARL FELLER K.
ITALIAN FRONT
BERG

Post by BERG »

That sounds like an authentic impression! You should buy a tunic from Pirschen, he makes one of the best Italian uniforms on the market;
http://cgi.ebay.com/WWII-Italian-M40-wo ... 5ad5b10f42

You can get the collar insignia from http://www.fregi.it or http://www.filatelicafiorentina.com
These are correct ones, in crimson red for Bersaglieri(two- or three-pointed flames, both types were used);

It was also popular with RSI soldiers to wear various types of skulls on their uniforms, like this one;
On the pocket flap for example.

And if you're going to wear a pair of german boots with your M43 pants, skip the gaiters, as German gaiters were seldom worn by Italian RSI troops. Use a pair of socks instead. :)

If you can find one(the are no repro's as far as I know) an anorak/windjacket of this type would be great for your impression;
They may be pretty expensive though. Nevertheless, they were very popular with the Bersaglieri during the RSI-era.
Note the insignia; a fascio on one collar, a german panzer skull(!) on the other, "M" Battalion badge on his chest, as well as a large skull.
The other soldier is wearing MVSN fasces on his collar.
Julio H33R

Post by Julio H33R »

Thank you for the help Berg :mrgreen:
GEFREITER KARL FELLER K.
ITALIAN FRONT

Return to “Italian Weapons and Equipment”