Barretta 38A

Moderator: supermario

SS FG

Barretta 38A

Post by SS FG »

Have any of you rebuilt a 38a with the Prexus receiver, extended barrel and semi bolt?

I am having a bit of trouble figuring out how to fit the SKS trigger group into the available space. They had good pictures, but it's still a task...and I have machine shop skills and equipment.
mauser98

Re: Barretta 38A

Post by mauser98 »

No sorry. I just got a M38A oparts kit from a buddy. I live in NY so I just want to track down a dummy receiver to make a display gun. Any suggestions on where to find one?

mauser98
SS FG

Re: Barretta 38A

Post by SS FG »

Well, I purchased everything from Prexus. The receiver came as a tube with a paper template glued to it. I had to do the machine work with a vertical mill. I also got the extended barrel and guard. I had to machine every one of those blinking holes with a four flute mill on the vertical mill with an indexing head. It also was a tube with a template glued to it. I also purchased the semi-auto bolt, so when it is done, it will be a fully leagal semi-auto. At this point, all I need to do is modify and inlet the SKS trigger group. And to be honest...it looks like a very nasty bit of work.

The end of the receiver is machined for the barrel to thread into, so trying to use a section of mechanical tube is not going to work. Try Googling "Prexus". He's a good man, can be a bit slow to deliver and has a lot on his shoulders. Be patient..it's worth it. If you don't have a machine shop available, you are going to need a lot of patience and a large selection of hand files. Don't rush the job.

I would look at restoring it as a semi-auto if you can. It would be a waste of a somewhat rare and unusual firearm to make it a dummy, and to be honest, it's almost harder to make it a dummy than to restore it...at least in the US with all the BATF regulations for dummy weapons. I did that with a Sten...lot of work, but is a nice Sten. Then there is the constant worry that some BATF agent is going to do a Gestapo impression on me. Stupid mistake on my part.

Oh and since you are in NY, if you want a dummy wepon, we can make a deal for the Sten if you want. I go to Odessa twice a year.

Return to “Italian Weapons and Equipment”