Italian weaponary in the abyssinian war?

Moderator: supermario

von papen

Italian weaponary in the abyssinian war?

Post by von papen »

I'am doing Mussolinins foreign policy in history at the moment and just to expand my knowledge what firearms would of they been using? the old 1891 carcano rifles with the straight bolts? Did they have any sub-machine guns? Textbooks mentions them using tanks and aircraft but what would of these been?
I know afew ww2 firearms and at least what some of the tanks looked like but no idea about pre ww2 spec stuff.

Any answers appreciated! :D

vp
SS-Sturmmann Papen 7te Kompanie. II Batl. LSSAH
Zweite Zug , Aufklärungs
supermario

Re: Italian weaponary in the abyssinian war?

Post by supermario »

Von Papen,

Just to kick you off, yes, the Carcano 1891 would've been used in most variants except the 91/38 and91/41. As for submachine guns, not really. Italian tatic of the time relied on the forcement of enemy positions by infantry mass. SMG's came in about 1938. Prior to this, the SMG was solely a police weapon. LMG would've been the atrocious Breda 30. HMG would've been the Fiat-Revelli. No anti-tank capability, but the Abyssinians employed no tanks.

Tanks would've been the CV33

Light tankette. No formal use of any heavier tank at the time. (The Italians didn't really have anything heavier than the Fiat 3000, which was used in limted numbers in Abbysinnia)

As for Armoured cars, the Italians employed the Lancia IZ. Very old design. Fiat also produced a more modern armoured car in the shape of the Autoblinda 611. Not sure if any were used tho.

Lancia I Z

As for aircraft, i think they used the Caproni Ca 133 as a bomber as well as the SM 81 pipistrello. For fighter's i think they used the RO 37 bis.

Hope that helps as a start.

Neil

von papen

Re: Italian weaponary in the abyssinian war?

Post by von papen »

Thanks for the reply! i just find it helps to understand about wars when you know how they were fought and what with.
Plus my textbook said they fought a modern war with modern tanks and weaponry and tbh i didnt think that was completely true as i suspected it was a mix of ww1 style tanks and light armoured vehicles although this was still far better than anything the abyssinians had.

What would of the abbyssinians had? i read on wiki that afew fiat 3000s were sold to them although wiki isnt always to be trusted. Firearms wise i guess they would of had stuff dated back to the 1800s? muskets etc?

vp
SS-Sturmmann Papen 7te Kompanie. II Batl. LSSAH
Zweite Zug , Aufklärungs

Return to “Italian Weapons and Equipment”